The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sj27
I am specifically talking about postgrad though....I try to ignore the rest of TSR!! (Although I have taken to stalking the Cambridge threads on occasion recently :colondollar:. Talking of which, graduate admissions sent me a very helpful document about what I need to apply for my visa. Only problem is, they sent it for the wrong type of visa :colone: )

true...but i think even for Master's people just fire off applications. I also think that departments are not always very clear about what the programme contains in terms of content.

for PhD though, if you haven't done the research you've kind of failed at the first hurdle, really. you are, after all, supposed to be a researcher.

In other news, i'm going to my old housemate's wedding on saturday, and i am WAY to excited to concentrate on any work. doh!
Reply 1381
Every now and again I check the funding info on the department website for any updates. Each time the "contact a potential supervisor before making an application" section goes up a font size and is now in bold. Obviously there must be quite a few people applying without making even preliminary contact with the department.
I've applied to a fair few places (clearly more than what the majority of people bother with), but I know I'd be equally happy at any of them and all of the programmes interest me greatly. I can actually tell you exactly what modules I'd want to do at any university I've applied to, but because I'm not a strong candidate I couldn't really afford to apply for, say, my two favourite programmes and see what would happen, so I thought I'd give myself more choices (which doesn't equate to more chances, but at least I won't end up thinking "oh, what if I'd only gone for this and that, and not bothered with that?")
Reply 1383
Original post by Anatheme
I've applied to a fair few places (clearly more than what the majority of people bother with), but I know I'd be equally happy at any of them and all of the programmes interest me greatly. I can actually tell you exactly what modules I'd want to do at any university I've applied to, but because I'm not a strong candidate I couldn't really afford to apply for, say, my two favourite programmes and see what would happen, so I thought I'd give myself more choices (which doesn't equate to more chances, but at least I won't end up thinking "oh, what if I'd only gone for this and that, and not bothered with that?")

You are definitely not the kind of person we are talking about. Making multiple applications to a range of departments you are genuinely interested in is far more sensible than my 'all or nothing' approach! :p: :redface:
You depressed people should all get SAD lights. We have two at home despite neither of us being depressive, and they are brilliant! Bet they're even more brilliant for everyone affected by seasonal changes!

So despite having a really rubbish cold, I still dragged myself out of bed at 6 and forked out for a full price ticket to London to attend a seminar that sounded very relevant from the description. Turns out that the guy just spent the whole time off on a tangent, barely getting anywhere near the issues the abstract had suggested, and it was a complete waste of time (with the exception of one useful reference) :angry: And now I'm sicker due to additional sleep deprivation. And I lost my umbrella on the train :argh:
:banghead:
Original post by Craghyrax
You depressed people should all get SAD lights. We have two at home despite neither of us being depressive, and they are brilliant! Bet they're even more brilliant for everyone affected by seasonal changes!

So despite having a really rubbish cold, I still dragged myself out of bed at 6 and forked out for a full price ticket to London to attend a seminar that sounded very relevant from the description. Turns out that the guy just spent the whole time off on a tangent, barely getting anywhere near the issues the abstract had suggested, and it was a complete waste of time (with the exception of one useful reference) :angry: And now I'm sicker due to additional sleep deprivation. And I lost my umbrella on the train :argh:

Aww, I hope you get better soon!

I like that they're called SAD, brilliant name! That said, I don't think it's necessarily due to the weather/season itself, rather if you've had problems in the past at a given time of the year, you react whenever it's that time again, even though everything should be ok. Or at least that's what I understood when TLG said she was allergic to Lent, and I have a very similar reaction at the beginning of the summer where I'll sleep for 18h/day, have no interest in anything at all and feel really low for what appears to be no reason.
Reply 1386
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Me three - I really want to go to a conference (in Ireland!) in Autumn because it was fantastically helpful last year. I have just decided, in the bath, to put in an abstract off the back of the budget speech. I can vaguely pritt-stick bits of my PhD together to form something coherant-ish by then, I am sure. And if it's complete toss the people who go to this conference will be too nice to say so. :biggrin:

Oooh, I'd been meaning to ask on facebook how the research was going. An abstract from the budget speech? That sounds pretty interesting. I was hoping to come to your conference the other week but ended up not being too well.

Oh, and hi everyone, long time no see!
Original post by Drogue
Oooh, I'd been meaning to ask on facebook how the research was going. An abstract from the budget speech? That sounds pretty interesting. I was hoping to come to your conference the other week but ended up not being too well.

Hello! It's going really well, thanks. I've been writing like a demon so hoping to be done in autumn - can't wait. I've got my last classes before Easter tomorrow (MA research methods, I'm just knocking out a handout on regressions now...).

You would always be more welcome at any conferences I have anything to do with - I'll make sure to flag them up. Your name came up when I saw cubey a couple of weeks ago - I miss you, we should catch up soon! :hugs:
Original post by Drogue

:hi:

I like that they're called SAD, brilliant name! That said, I don't think it's necessarily due to the weather/season itself, rather if you've had problems in the past at a given time of the year, you react whenever it's that time again, even though everything should be ok. Or at least that's what I understood when TLG said she was allergic to Lent, and I have a very similar reaction at the beginning of the summer where I'll sleep for 18h/day, have no interest in anything at all and feel really low for what appears to be no reason.

That's certainly the case with me, yeah. That said, given an estimated 1 in 4 people suffer from SAD, knowing about the efficacy of lamps is certainly useful :yep:
Reply 1389
Original post by Drogue

*waves* :biggrin:
Reply 1390
:wavey:

Since GOGSoc seems to be in need of some good news, since I was last here I finally finished the MSc and got a distinction :biggrin: It took 4 years but it's finally all over.

As a side question, am I right that when in a specific university a degree from that university takes precedence? I'm trying to work out which gowns I need for different graduation ceremonies depending on the order I do them. Assuming (as is likely) I get my Birkbeck MSc and then my Oxford MA, do I wear an Oxford BA or Birkbeck MSc gown for the first part of my Oxford ceremony, before changing into the MA one? And after that do I use the MA at Oxford events but the MSc one at Birkbeck? I tried Googling but found nothing.

Original post by IlexAquifolium
Hello! It's going really well, thanks. I've been writing like a demon so hoping to be done in autumn - can't wait. I've got my last classes before Easter tomorrow (MA research methods, I'm just knocking out a handout on regressions now...).

You would always be more welcome at any conferences I have anything to do with - I'll make sure to flag them up. Your name came up when I saw cubey a couple of weeks ago - I miss you, we should catch up soon! :hugs:

We should. I'm almost entirely free at the moment, as had a bit of a nasty episode of side effects/withdrawal symptoms and was signed off work. Am quite a lot better now and just waiting to discuss going back with the doctor. So am dying to have something interesting to think about!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1391
Original post by Drogue

Since GOGSoc seems to be in need of some good news, since I was last here I finally finished the MSc and got a distinction :biggrin: It took 4 years but it's finally all over.

We should. I'm almost entirely free at the moment, as had a bit of a nasty episode of side effects/withdrawal symptoms and was signed off work. Am quite a lot better now and just waiting to discuss going back with the doctor. So am dying to have something interesting to think about!

Well done on the MSc :five:

Sorry to hear about the health issues but glad you seem to be on the mend.
Eugh. Today is the abstract deadline. I've not written it yet. Friend is arriving at lunch time and my cold is now so bad I'm croaking and can't think :argh:

True, but full spectrum light is one of those things that has been shown to improve everyone's mood/alertness/sleep cycles etc. whether or not they are suffering from something or not. Its like laughter, exercise and chocolate :wink: So on that basis I would still recommend it for any depressed person, regardless of what the actual cause is. And SAD is just seasonal affective disorder.
Original post by Drogue

:jumphug: Congratulations on your achievement :smile:
Original post by Drogue

Fab stuff - well done! :woo: :ahee: :yay: :danceboy: :party: :macarena: :party: :danceboy: :yay: :ahee: :woo:

:yeah:

:cool:
Reply 1394
Original post by Drogue
:wavey: Since GOGSoc seems to be in need of some good news, since I was last here I finally finished the MSc and got a distinction :biggrin: It took 4 years but it's finally all over.

:biggrin: great news!
Original post by Drogue

Great stuff :biggrin: Nice to see some good news on here!
Reply 1396
Personally, I think any post with positive news related to academia should start with "Good news everyone!"

but that's just me :getmecoat:

:tongue:
Reply 1397
Original post by Drogue

Ahh, congratulations!
Hello everyone! :smile:

I have been reading this thread with interest, now time to be more involved.

I have applied for a phd at royal holloway, and would love to get feedback on how life as a research student is, what accommodation is like ...

By the way, still waiting for outcome of application!

Thank youuuuu
Reply 1399
Drogue
Since GOGSoc seems to be in need of some good news, since I was last here I finally finished the MSc and got a distinction It took 4 years but it's finally all over.

Congrats :biggrin:

Original post by a.n.o.n.
Hello everyone! :smile:

I have been reading this thread with interest, now time to be more involved.

I have applied for a phd at royal holloway, and would love to get feedback on how life as a research student is, what accommodation is like ...

By the way, still waiting for outcome of application!

Firstly what subject? Life at RHUL is dependent on whether you're an Arts or Science grad. I know people there in both camps plus some personal experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending