The Student Room Group

Atmospheric Circulation- tri cellular model- A2 Geography Unit 3

Hi, I'm really having trouble with grasping what exactly goes on in Atmospheric Circulation/conjuring up a perfect answer for the process. I really need to know for my A2 Geography exam in a few weeks and a lot of online resources have missed out quite a few key points. So here is my understanding of the model so far:

-High angle of incidence of the sun's rays over the equator heats the air there
-Heated air rises due to convection, leaving low pressure at the thermal equator
-As the warm air rises, it eventually cools and condenses [or cannot hold onto water vapor any longer due to?] leaving large clouds (e.g. cumulonimbus) and precipitation
-This area is known as the ITCZ
-The now cooler air descends at 30°N/S leaving areas of high pressure at the tropics of Capricorn and Cancer
-There is little rain here
-The air now surface level will diverge either back to the equator, which completes the Hadley cell, or polewards.
-Air flowing back to the equator will do so as 'trade winds'.
-The direction trade winds will move from east to west due to the Coriolis Effect.
-[THIS IS WHERE THE REAL CONFUSION BEGINS]
-The air diverging polewards from 30 N/S is known as the 'westerlies' (the UK's prevailing winds are south westerly)
-This air eventually meets colder polar air at 60° N/S and due to the difference in temperatures the warm air is forced upwards leaving low pressure behind
-When rising,the warm air cools and condenses forming clouds and precipitation [it is an area where depressions can form]
-The air then sinks 90° N/S at the poles....Question....does some of the air 60 N/S diverge like it did at the equator? So some of the air from the Ferrell cell returns to the Hadley cell/that direction? ...Also where/when should I ideally be mentioning the Ferrel Cell?
-The air sinking polewards then returns to the Ferrel Cell/This completes the processes in the Polar Cell?
-How does this address the energy deficit?

Also, where should I be including information about Rossby Waves/Jet Streams?

I appreciate any help offered in filling my gaps in knowledge/correcting any misunderstandings. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending