The Student Room Group

How competitive is Tiffin Sixth Form and is it good

I'm considering Tiffin and I want to know the average GCSE's grades and the quality of it both social and academic.
Reply 1
Tiffin Boys or Girls?

From experience (ex tiffin girl here) it's not the teaching that gets the grades, it's the atmosphere. The teachers bully and mould you into thinking anything lower than A* is failure, and you have to achieve it otherwise you're a loser. It's a decent enough school I guess, but be ready to be bullied into submission by every teacher you meet (and awful pastoral care, too).

I can recommend Hollyfield comprehensive in Surbiton. For comparison, I got a B in English Lit GCSE at Tiffin, one of the best schools in the country. I got 100% A* in English lit at AS and A2 at Hollyfield, which has never got anybody into Oxbridge. The teaching there, rather than the atmosphere, was vastly superior.
Reply 2
Original post by edithwashere
Tiffin Boys or Girls?

From experience (ex tiffin girl here) it's not the teaching that gets the grades, it's the atmosphere. The teachers bully and mould you into thinking anything lower than A* is failure, and you have to achieve it otherwise you're a loser. It's a decent enough school I guess, but be ready to be bullied into submission by every teacher you meet (and awful pastoral care, too).

I can recommend Hollyfield comprehensive in Surbiton. For comparison, I got a B in English Lit GCSE at Tiffin, one of the best schools in the country. I got 100% A* in English lit at AS and A2 at Hollyfield, which has never got anybody into Oxbridge. The teaching there, rather than the atmosphere, was vastly superior.

Thanks, just out of curiosity what did you get at GCSE
Reply 3
3 As, 6 Bs, a C and a D (at Tiffin)
Then at A level I got A*, A, B (at Hollyfield).
Reply 4
Oh ok that's really made me reconsider, anymore views coz that would be great a lot of people have the same questions as me
I used to do supply in RK. Tiffin and Kingston Grammar were VERY competitive for grades, doesn't help they're over the road from each other, but was never impressed by either. Hollyfield (wish I'd got work there more often) was a far nicer school and a better atmosphere. If you want to be bullied in getting good grades and being told your **** if you get anything but an A/A* then go for it, otherwise I would stay away.
It's honestly not that bad. They don't bully you, but there is quite a bit of pressure to do well and academics IS fairly important. The boys' school is generally better in terms of extra-curricular - at the girls', school clubs are virtually non-existant to be fair.

However I would like to say that you've got to be the kind of person who's prepared to work and does value school, otherwise yours and the school's interests are going to contrast and there's only going to be one winner out of that.

The people are nice too, as are most of the teachers, who are quite approachable (bar a few, but I'm sure every school has them). However there's currently a shift going on with new head teachers and the like - the boys' seem to be improving, but the girls' is kind of a bit shaky and lots of teachers are leaving.

Do you have any friends (of friends of friends) who go there? That could help too
Don't rely on the remarks made on here about Tiffin Sixth form, I understand you intend to collect ideas about it but the first response you had is rather untypical of the Tiffin student population.

I can support that with a number of reasons. I myself joined Tiffin sixth form in September, and have been overwhelmingly impressed in the school, absorbed and captivated by my studies since arrival. The teaching is superb, the value added per subject is truly outstanding. In Geography for example, our field course to Devon and Dartmoor irrefutably covered our entire AS in a week, it was bloody hard but the theory was cogently covered. Such clarity in the field has been supported by book reports, trips to universities and extended projects which has inexcusably been beneficial in our comprehension of subject other than the course material, and in other ways contributed to improving disciplines in terms of essay writing and time management. It felt outside my capacity but such is the energy of the teaching body and your students that you strive to complete what you do and do more. You get out what you put in in dividends. The school believes in you, and you begin to believe in yourself.

You're kept in touch with the antiquity of the school, whilst utilizing the modern assets of the school in the form of the LRC, Judge lecture theater, all of which are quiet, fresh and good places to learn in.

The school has a number of societies unique to the country, let alone the borough. Tiffinomics for example, an economics journal, was created wholly by a student and produces regular periodicals, it's the only one of its kind created by students.

I've assimilated into the school well, and the vast majority have done in my intake, I've just recieved the news that I've become Deputy Head boy, which is symptomatic of the meritocratic and welcoming edge of the Tiffin community. I'm a member of the Boat Club, and now row, one of the best active leisure activities i've ever chosen. Tiffin is one of the only state schools in Britain that offers rowing. We have own prefects office, sporting ground at Hampton court, and a music department second to none. The A2 music students obtained 10 A*s and one A in Music last year, the best for a department in England. And they do a number of orchestra related evenings throughout the year, accompanied by the youth orchestra and often supported by a school choir. The school also maintains a very supportive and complementary relationship with passed student, the Old Tiffinian association arrange sporting fixtures, reunions, you get you're own leaving tie, blazer and scarf, and they keep note of their passed students through it's publication, The Tiffinian.

You just can't comprehend the entirety of the good at Tiffin unless you go there. Happy here, no regrets, top marks from me.
I applied late for Tiffins in February stupidly. Most people I know have received some response, i.e. there on the shortlist or that they're in the reserve list. I'm currently on for around 4A*'s and rest A's (I think) and that's the data that I think Tiffins have. Can someone please tell me if they're in the same situation and if they have any idea if those grades are good enough.
Thanks.
Yeah mate that's more than enough. I obtained those very grades to be accepted. Although in my form, out of all the new sixth formers, I had the worst results in all respects to the word worst in this situation.
Original post by Biggers98
I'm considering Tiffin and I want to know the average GCSE's grades and the quality of it both social and academic.

Worth going to :smile: Tiffin boys is great, the girls don't really have much extra circular to be fair.
Reply 11
Original post by BertBricusse
Yeah mate that's more than enough. I obtained those very grades to be accepted. Although in my form, out of all the new sixth formers, I had the worst results in all respects to the word worst in this situation.

I just got my results for my end of year 10 GCSE's and in Science i got an A* which was very hard to obtain this year by the looks of it and also in English Language I got an A is this a good start for my application, I want to do further maths, maths, Physics and chemistry
Reply 12
SHUT UP TIFFIN IS BETTER HOLLYFIELD SUCKS. ur just dumb LMAO
Reply 13
Tiffin boys is good(Original post by User1248243)Worth going to :smile: Tiffin boys is great, the girls don't really have much extra circular to be fair.

Tiffin boys is very good
Reply 14
Original post by Messalina
Tiffin Boys or Girls?

I agree with above comment.Tiffin boys has the same attitude.Tgeur pastoral care is rubbish.There is a lot of pressure to achieve no less than a 7 at GCSE.The attitude to learning is poor and does not consider the child but just school reputation and head of years are vert harsh and non compassionate.If you can live in that atmosphere then choose Tiffin.If you want to enjoy learning and become a better individual who is an all rounder choose somewhere else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending