The Student Room Group

Oxford super/extracurricals

I aspire to study law at Oxford and my teachers recommended that I make sure my extra/supercurricals are up to the standard alongside the grade needed.
here are my supercurriculars

I've given a ted talk which was posted on the official YouTube channel with 37.8 million subcrisber
im head student and in charge of student council in my school
iv participate in 3 model United Nations where I won best delegate each time
ive done a European youth parliament and qualified to nationals
ive played piano for 10 years
im helping with the law paperwork with the construction of an orphanage in Africa
im taking a law course over the summer given by Harvard

is that enough ? if not what else could I do ?

Scroll to see replies

You don't need any extracurriculars to get into Oxford, they're not something Oxford will really consider in any depth when assessing your application. You should focus much more on your grades and reading a lot around the subject you intend to apply for.
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
You don't need any extracurriculars to get into Oxford, they're not something Oxford will really consider in any depth when assessing your application. You should focus much more on your grades and reading a lot around the subject you intend to apply for.

well surely they have some importance ? if 2 students have identical scores on exam but one has extracurriculars while the other doesnt, its clear who's most likely to get it. plus how do you prove that you've read around the subject ?
Original post by spam44
well surely they have some importance ? if 2 students have identical scores on exam but one has extracurriculars while the other doesnt, its clear who's most likely to get it. plus how do you prove that you've read around the subject ?

The things related to law have some importance, yes, but the rest no. And even the law stuff in your PS will perhaps get you an interview at most, it will not determine whether you get an offer, that will depend (assuming you passed the admissions test if law has one) on how you perform at the interview. Loads of applicants who have no extracurriculars get offers from Oxford every year and these activities are absolutely not part of any serious consideration by admissions tutors. Also, your extracurriculars, assuming identical exam scores, aren't the deciding factor (that's a very naive view of how Oxford distributes offers). Those who pass the grade required in admissions tests will then be called to interview and it is your performance in this final stage which will determine whether you're given an offer, not how many extracurriculars you've racked up, especially extracurriculars that aren't at all related to your subject. And it goes without saying that having a tonne of extracurriculars doesn't at all mean you'll be more suited to studying at Oxford than someone who doesn't, that's why the interview is such a crucial stage of the process, the tutors test your thinking and critical analysis skills and whether you'll thrive under that particular academic atmosphere. In regards to reading around your subject, it's not about proving it. It's about being well read which will give you a higher chance of performing well at interview, especially if you're thrown curveballs and the like. Moreover, you can mention the extra reading/research and law-related activities in your PS. But don't bother mentioning the piano, ted talk or work in Africa: it's a waste of characters and will not give your application an advantage whatsoever.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by spam44
I aspire to study law at Oxford and my teachers recommended that I make sure my extra/supercurricals are up to the standard alongside the grade needed.

I've given a ted talk which was posted on the official YouTube channel with 37.8 million subcrisber
im helping with the law paperwork with the construction of an orphanage in Africa

Extracurriculars aren't important - other things you do with little or no relevance to your subject - but supercurriculars can be - other things you do that are of relevance to your subject. So the law paperwork, law course and perhaps the model UN and youth parliament would be worth discussing in your PS. It's important not to simply "tick these boxes" but be able to say what was useful from those experiences re a law degree.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I doubt many people who get in have extracurriculars and they are absolutely not part of any serious consideration by admissions tutors. Also, identical score exams isn't the deciding factor, everyone who passes the grade required will then be called to interview and it is your performance in this final stage which will determine whether you're given an offer, not how many extracurriculars you've racked up, especially extracurriculars that aren't at all related to your subject. And it goes without saying that having a tonne of extracurriculars doesn't at all mean you'll be more suited to studying at Oxford than someone who doesn't, that's why the interview is so important. I think @Oxford Mum who is very experienced with Oxford admissions can confirm much of what I say. In regards to reading around your subject, it's not about proving it. It's about being well read which will give you a higher chance of performing well at interview, especially if you're thrown curveballs and the like. Moreover, you can mention the extra reading/research in your PS.

I agree with this. They have plenty of other information to use in assessing candidates outside of your personal statement. Also, there is an important difference between supercurricular and extracurricular activities. Oxford generally don't care about non-academic pursuits like playing the piano. Your personal statement should be showing the tutors that you're passionate about the subject you're applying for, not random unrelated activities.
Original post by emilyalexandria
I agree with this. They have plenty of other information to use in assessing candidates outside of your personal statement. Also, there is an important difference between supercurricular and extracurricular activities. Oxford generally don't care about non-academic pursuits like playing the piano. Your personal statement should be showing the tutors that you're passionate about the subject you're applying for, not random unrelated activities.

Absolutely. And especially if your subject doesn't have any admissions test then it's likely what you talk about in your PS surrounding your intended subject as well as your predicted grades what will grab the tutors' attention and decide whether they grant you an interview. I'm pretty sure it's standard advice to not include random, subject unrelated extracurriculars in your PS so whoever advised OP is doing them a disservice in this regard, operating under the naive assumption that the more 'things' you can list off the more likely you are to get in, which absolutely isn't the case at all. That's more symptomatic of the kind of approach you should take to applying to uni in the USA, not here.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
thank you everyone for commenting I really appreciate the help :smile: since you guys seem a lot more experienced then I am maybe you guys could shine some light on my dilemma.

I take a total of 4 A levels : Psychology , French, Politics and English lit
ive done an accelerated course for French meaning that I passed both the A1 and A2 within the same year and got an A in my A1 and expected an A* the 17th
for psychology on the other hand , ive scored a B on the AS paper.
politics and English I can only take next year meaning that I cant use those results to apply for school in October
I was told that I can apply with my predicted grades for politics and English (both As) which would meet the requirement to apply

now my worry is my B in psychology . do you guys think that it could lower my chances even if I get an A predicted by then end of next year ??

I absolutely agree about the piano playing issue, not important. Maybe it would be more important if op is applying to an American university?
Original post by spam44
thank you everyone for commenting I really appreciate the help :smile: since you guys seem a lot more experienced then I am maybe you guys could shine some light on my dilemma.

I take a total of 4 A levels : Psychology , French, Politics and English lit
ive done an accelerated course for French meaning that I passed both the A1 and A2 within the same year and got an A in my A1 and expected an A* the 17th
for psychology on the other hand , ive scored a B on the AS paper.
politics and English I can only take next year meaning that I cant use those results to apply for school in October
I was told that I can apply with my predicted grades for politics and English (both As) which would meet the requirement to apply

now my worry is my B in psychology . do you guys think that it could lower my chances even if I get an A predicted by then end of next year ??

The b at as level is irrelevant. Both my children got a b at as level and it didn’t stop either of them getting into Oxford
Original post by spam44

Participating at the European youth parliament is useful (my younger son did this and went to Lithuania for the finals) and the model United Nations etc is great. However it sounds like a bit of a tick box exercise.

You will need to go off and do some independent research on an aspect of law that interests you. Be active in your learning. Also if you are from the uk, you can go to a magistrate’s or county court - just make sure you dress smartly. Provide yourself with an internal commentary- what are your opinions of the evidence- which questions would you ask? What was the turning point in the case? If you were the judge/barrister, would you have done things differently?

It is very very important to practice the law admissions test, the lnat. Time yourself, look at the answers and develop a strategy. Without a good result you will not progress beyond the first stage.

I used to know an Oxford law student, who said the important thing (for the interviews) is to be good at logic. When you are at the interview do not be intimidated by the tutors into agreeing with everything they say but form your own opinions and what is more explain why you have come to this conclusion using either logic or evidence from a text you may be given.

I do have an Oxford demystified ( and a Cambridge one) for law, so please bear with me and I will post it soon.

Also I would advise you to keep your feet on the ground and be realistic. There is massive competition for places and only so much space. I have received many messages from people on TSR desperate to get in for law. I would apply for other good law schools as well and learn to love those choices, too.

On the other hand as my elder son says “someone has to get in, and it might as well be me”
Original post by spam44

Please listen to this user. If I am correct, he is an Oxford graduate. Even if he isn’t the user I think he is, I agree with him wholeheartedly.
Reply 12
Original post by Oxford Mum
Participating at the European youth parliament is useful (my younger son did this and went to Lithuania for the finals) and the model United Nations etc is great. However it sounds like a bit of a tick box exercise.

You will need to go off and do some independent research on an aspect of law that interests you. Be active in your learning. Also if you are from the uk, you can go to a magistrate’s or county court - just make sure you dress smartly. Provide yourself with an internal commentary- what are your opinions of the evidence- which questions would you ask? What was the turning point in the case? If you were the judge/barrister, would you have done things differently?

It is very very important to practice the law admissions test, the lnat. Time yourself, look at the answers and develop a strategy. Without a good result you will not progress beyond the first stage.

I used to know an Oxford law student, who said the important thing (for the interviews) is to be good at logic. When you are at the interview do not be intimidated by the tutors into agreeing with everything they say but form your own opinions and what is more explain why you have come to this conclusion using either logic or evidence from a text you may be given.

I do have an Oxford demystified ( and a Cambridge one) for law, so please bear with me and I will post it soon.

Also I would advise you to keep your feet on the ground and be realistic. There is massive competition for places and only so much space. I have received many messages from people on TSR desperate to get in for law. I would apply for other good law schools as well and learn to love those choices, too.

On the other hand as my elder son says “someone has to get in, and it might as well be me”

Thank you so much Oxford Mum and everyone for commenting I feel so much better now. so grateful for this platform honeslty!!!!
Reply 13
The b at as level is irrelevant. Both my children got a b at as level and it didn’t stop either of them getting into Oxford

do you mind sharing what other graders they got ? Congratulation to them you must be very proud !
Original post by spam44
do you mind sharing what other graders they got ? Congratulation to them you must be very proud !

Both sons got A*AA at a level.
Elder son (German) exceeded his offer
Younger son (medicine) only just made his offer of A*AA.
Original post by spam44
Thank you so much Oxford Mum and everyone for commenting I feel so much better now. so grateful for this platform honeslty!!!!

Let's hear it from the experts -

Oxford Demystified - Law chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7305524&p=97986632#post97986632

Oxford Demystified - Law and Spanish law

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6788606

Cambridge Demystified - Law

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=88511460#post88511460

Hope this helps.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Both sons got A*AA at a level.
Elder son (German) exceeded his offer
Younger son (medicine) only just made his offer of A*AA.

and so one of them got a B in one of their A level ? So the B didn't matter? sorry for repeating myself a bunch of people are telling me two different answers. half are saying that it wont matter cause they only look at 3 grades while the others seem certain that because they can see all your results a grade lower then an A will drastically affect your chances even if your not applying with that specific subject.
Original post by spam44
and so one of them got a B in one of their A level ? So the B didn't matter? sorry for repeating myself a bunch of people are telling me two different answers. half are saying that it wont matter cause they only look at 3 grades while the others seem certain that because they can see all your results a grade lower then an A will drastically affect your chances even if your not applying with that specific subject.

He got a B in his AS level, not his A2 level.
Reply 18
He got a B in his AS level, not his A2 level.

Ok great, thank you for your help !
Reply 19

Agree, in my application and the interview what seemed to work was relating to work / research / publications that the leading faculty did, and engaging with their research (having an opinion, questions etc), the extracurriculars weren’t mentioned by the panel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending