The Student Room Group

"Britain 2013" appalling article!

Abuse of older people in care homes. It's frequently touches the headlines. I bought an edition of Britain 2013, and it has brilliant articles, apart from one. It outlines why said abuse is 'overlooked' in care homes and basically, well the gist I got from it was, was that social workers can't intervene in everybody's' lives, especially because they might not be able to provide anything better.

It finishes with "Having a set of procedures to protect older people from mistreatment is one thing, having decent services and respectful support to older people is another."

I was just astounded! A reputable magazine, published by the Economic and Social Research Council, would have an article basically saying, abuse shouldn't happen, but it does, and we simply don't have the resources or services in place to prevent it. The end.
Has anyone else read it? The rest of the articles are great, but...
Yeah, opinions anyone?
Isn't the article just highlighting reality though?

As for the comment you quote - I don't see a massive problem. It essentially just states that it is all very well having procedures and rules, but without proper services (money spent), the problem [abuse of the elderly] will not go away.
Reply 2
Original post by melonhead12
Abuse of older people in care homes. It's frequently touches the headlines. I bought an edition of Britain 2013, and it has brilliant articles, apart from one. It outlines why said abuse is 'overlooked' in care homes and basically, well the gist I got from it was, was that social workers can't intervene in everybody's' lives, especially because they might not be able to provide anything better.

It finishes with "Having a set of procedures to protect older people from mistreatment is one thing, having decent services and respectful support to older people is another."

I was just astounded! A reputable magazine, published by the Economic and Social Research Council, would have an article basically saying, abuse shouldn't happen, but it does, and we simply don't have the resources or services in place to prevent it. The end.
Has anyone else read it? The rest of the articles are great, but...
Yeah, opinions anyone?

I can't say I've read the article myself, but I'm going to butt in the the very stereotypical defence for those working in homes for the elderly. I myself work in a residential home as a carer (albeit a private one) but have worked in others. The problem is staff, not enough and pay, too little. Of course people will retaliate with "economic crisis" etc etc and I agree, I'm just glad to have a job. But for the intense responsibility being placed on these people at such low pay and rubbish staffing levels. The job is hardly going to attract the best people for it. The people I work with a very caring and respectful, but sometimes it's too much to cope with, this is where standards would fall.
Original post by welshboi
I can't say I've read the article myself, but I'm going to butt in the the very stereotypical defence for those working in homes for the elderly. I myself work in a residential home as a carer (albeit a private one) but have worked in others. The problem is staff, not enough and pay, too little. Of course people will retaliate with "economic crisis" etc etc and I agree, I'm just glad to have a job. But for the intense responsibility being placed on these people at such low pay and rubbish staffing levels. The job is hardly going to attract the best people for it. The people I work with a very caring and respectful, but sometimes it's too much to cope with, this is where standards would fall.

I know several people who work in/have worked in these homes and they agreed with this. Money wise a jobs a job, that didn't bother them, but they were very understaffed. Not a problem if the residential care home has quite fit, well and healthy members but if they have severe dementia for example they require more care and therefore more staff to keep up standards.
Reply 4
Original post by Mourinho<3
I know several people who work in/have worked in these homes and they agreed with this. Money wise a jobs a job, that didn't bother them, but they were very understaffed. Not a problem if the residential care home has quite fit, well and healthy members but if they have severe dementia for example they require more care and therefore more staff to keep up standards.

Exactly! And these days dementia patients are becoming more and more common. I work across two homes, when I started last year neither were dementia homes, now they both are and the intensity of the work is significantly increased, especially when many aren't even able-bodied.
Reply 5
Abuse can be prevented. It won't be easy. It involves a component of our daily lives in which we just assume is normal. It is called stress (or pressure).

Stressed workers do not make very caring workers. In this country where people are taxed to the hilt, where for many working conditions are not so great, where the boss is bullying the staff, where the paper work mounts up each day, where people are tired, overworked, underpayed, even undervalued.

Is it any wonder then why this sort of thing is happening??

A stressed environment almost always affects everyone and everything associated with that environment, including the patients.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
If we had a cop as a personal bodyguard/stalker for each person in this country, crime would be practically zero. That's unaffordable though, so we accept there will be some crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending