The Student Room Group

How to revise English Lit for an exam in 4 days?

pretty much what the title says. im not finding any methods of revision that i use for other topics effective for english past papers
I would recommend grabbing your anthology poetry and analysing each poem from a fresh start and this will be helpful or just look at quotes from each poem and do deep analysis on them. Also make sure to go through context of each poem or you will struggle, develop your AO1, AO2 and AO3 but also embedd your quotes that gets you already to a grade 6. Use a wide range of good vocabulary for your essay and you could even research them. Good luck!
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
pretty much what the title says. im not finding any methods of revision that i use for other topics effective for english past papers

1) Look back through your notes + if you haven't already, briefly summarise all you need to know onto a few flashcards or an A4 page
2) You need to know context (what happened during the time this text was written), form/language (the format + style of writing), themes (the main ideas/concepts in the text) and structure (the layout of the text)
3) Seneca learning, glow up your grades youtube channel, PMT and MME revise have good resources and can help you
4) For extra marks, vary your vocabulary and enhance it to make your writing more appealing for the examiner
5) Don't forget about A01, A02, A03 etc. (as @Ytftgy7g7yby7 said), these learning objectives basically let you know what you need to include in your essay, if you're unsure use the spec from your exam board to help you
I hope that helps and good luck!
Original post by *LifeHappens*
1) Look back through your notes + if you haven't already, briefly summarise all you need to know onto a few flashcards or an A4 page
2) You need to know context (what happened during the time this text was written), form/language (the format + style of writing), themes (the main ideas/concepts in the text) and structure (the layout of the text)
3) Seneca learning, glow up your grades youtube channel, PMT and MME revise have good resources and can help you
4) For extra marks, vary your vocabulary and enhance it to make your writing more appealing for the examiner
5) Don't forget about A01, A02, A03 etc. (as @Ytftgy7g7yby7 said), these learning objectives basically let you know what you need to include in your essay, if you're unsure use the spec from your exam board to help you
I hope that helps and good luck!

Thank you for the mention, and I would like to say that the good vocabulary as you have mentioned makes the examiner more convinced which evidently shows that you understand what you are saying and not just going on and dragging one point over as though your not aware of what your writing.
Original post by Ytftgy7g7yby7
I would recommend grabbing your anthology poetry and analysing each poem from a fresh start and this will be helpful or just look at quotes from each poem and do deep analysis on them. Also make sure to go through context of each poem or you will struggle, develop your AO1, AO2 and AO3 but also embedd your quotes that gets you already to a grade 6. Use a wide range of good vocabulary for your essay and you could even research them. Good luck!

~IMPORTANT~ - Please do not begin your sentences with, "In the quote, [...]" or "In the phrase, [...]" because this is disliked by the examiner and leaves you stuck at lowered level grade 4 for my own experience.
Thank you for the mention, and I would like to say that the good vocabulary as you have mentioned makes the examiner more convinced which evidently shows that you understand what you are saying and not just going on and dragging one point over as though your not aware of what your writing.

Agreed! It's important for the examiner to know the exam has been understood, if they think you don't know what they're saying, they'll be less keen on awarding the marks for it. As a continuation, confidence in writing is so so important!
~IMPORTANT~ - Please do not begin your sentences with, "In the quote, [...]" or "In the phrase, [...]" because this is disliked by the examiner and leaves you stuck at lowered level grade 4 for my own experience.

Embedd the quotes instead.
Embedd the quotes instead.

Yes, things like 'This quote shows that' and 'in the quote..' , shows less confidence in writing. If you don't want to embed the quotes (although that's the best way to do it), then use key techniques to at least put something in our writing, like 'The theme of melancholy is introduced in..' and 'Her character is portrayed as "put quote here"
For example, In terms of 'Macbeth', I could say that, Macbeth conceals his inner dissettlement by convincing himself that his "false heart must hide what the false heart doth know", this metaphorical language suggests macbeth doubting himself. I think that could be an example of good embedding so I hope that gives you an idea of what I meant.
Reply 9
Original post by emnaaerymanlto

Heya!
If it helps, check out this useful article (linked) about how to revise for english lit :h:

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest