The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

About accommodation in Sussex and people's age

Hello ! My name is Melodie and I will be coming to Sussex as part of the ERASMUS program next year. I was thinking about taking an accommodation on campus. I would like to meet native british people, not only international students. So it looks like a good idea to take an accommodation on campus. But, by the time I will arrive to Sussex, I will be 21 (I will be doing my third year of law). I was under the impression that most of the people in accommodation are 18 (first year students). Is that true ? I am afraid it would be a too big age difference to live together.

Thanks !
Reply 1
Most students in campus accommodation will be 18, but there are also mature students and people who have taken a gap year and are older. If you look at the residential services' FAQ they say this about mature students (over 21)
We typically allocate mature students (those over 21 years of age) with other mature students or students who have lived off-campus before or who are a little older than the majority of freshers, for example, postgraduates.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Thank you ! So normally, because I will be 21, I should be with other people around the same age.
Other 21 students live outside campus I suppose then. In Brighton ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm at Sussex in uni accomodation now, we've got a few international students staying with us now that are the same age as you and it's not been a problem at all! :smile:
Of the UK students on my corridoor; I'm 20, so are a couple others who took gap years, there's one 21 year old, one 27 year old, a couple of 18 year olds & the rest are 19.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by discomposure
I'm at Sussex in uni accomodation now, we've got a few international students staying with us now that are the same age as you and it's not been a problem at all! :smile:
Of the UK students on my corridoor; I'm 20, so are a couple others who took gap years, there's one 21 year old, one 27 year old, a couple of 18 year olds & the rest are 19.

thanks for your answer. In which halls/accomodation are you staying at ? I feel like it would be better for someone coming for abroad to stay on campus, it would be easier I guess.
P.S : judging by your icon, you're a doctor who fan ? I love that show haha !
Original post by melodie31
thanks for your answer. In which halls/accomodation are you staying at ? I feel like it would be better for someone coming for abroad to stay on campus, it would be easier I guess.
P.S : judging by your icon, you're a doctor who fan ? I love that show haha !

I'm in Kent House, one of the Park Houses :smile:
They seem to try to group together people who are similiar ages and have it so that international students aren't in a flat with just UK students so you'll likely have atleat one international student with you.
Living on campus is very handy, you're easily within walking distance of all lectures plus cash machines, 2 banks, a small co op supermarket, launderette, doctors surgery, pharmacy, cafe, restaraunt, post office, student shop and two bars.

Aha yep, it's brilliant :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Kent house is also for international students? Wow, then got screwed by dean spears again. Told me that either i can do off campus or stay where i'm hating it.
I loved Kent House. As a 24 year old I moved 3 times during the year and Dean Spears helped us.
The Porter now that's a different story

Quick Reply

Latest