The Student Room Group

Is the Accredited BCS Course Important?Please Help

I have heard if you do a degree thats accredited by the BCS , you are more likely to find a job much easier than those without... I am holding two offers, a university thats 20 mins away from me ( Not BCS) and another which is 3 hours away possibly have to relocate but that's accredited with BCS

Can you please tell me if this is important or not will it affect in anyways

Thanks
Reply 1
What are the universities?
Reply 3
Middlesex is the one wwithout and Plymouth is with
Reply 4
Reply 5
I think it would be helpful to have, as having a degree from an accredited course automatically makes you a member of the society, whereas if you don't do that course, you have to apply after your degree as employers like it.

(Not entirely sure, I think this was how it was explained to me on an open day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by pinksugar
I think it would be helpful to have, as having a degree from an accredited course automatically makes you a member of the society, whereas if you don't do that course, you have to apply after your degree as employers like it.

(Not entirely sure, I think this was how it was explained to me on an open day)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yah that's what I was thinking too but if anyone else knows or has done accredited please let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I did the accredited course at York. I ran a software business for nine years, and I'm now an academic.

To be honest, it's a pretty bad sign if a course is not accredited, as the BCS requires a clear connection from the skills taught to real-world roles. Every few years they come back and check if the content matches the relevant professional competences (so they differ for, say, business computing versus technical computing roles) and, critically, that the final project shows the capability of a graduate to do practical work in the field. Most of the inspectors are from industry.

Whether or not you want BCS membership, accreditation should be considered an important health check. New courses cannot be accredited immediately, but can be acknowledged retrospectively once there is evidence of the course's quality.

I hope that helps,

George
Reply 8
Original post by gbuchanan
I did the accredited course at York. I ran a software business for nine years, and I'm now an academic.

To be honest, it's a pretty bad sign if a course is not accredited, as the BCS requires a clear connection from the skills taught to real-world roles. Every few years they come back and check if the content matches the relevant professional competences (so they differ for, say, business computing versus technical computing roles) and, critically, that the final project shows the capability of a graduate to do practical work in the field. Most of the inspectors are from industry.

Whether or not you want BCS membership, accreditation should be considered an important health check. New courses cannot be accredited immediately, but can be acknowledged retrospectively once there is evidence of the course's quality.

I hope that helps,

George

That helps alot! Thank you George!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending