The Student Room Group

How important is IET Course Accreditation? Engineering Courses?

Hi,

Ive applied to a few universities to enrol in an electrical engineering degree.

Some of the courses are IET accredited, Others are not.

How important is IET accredition for future job prospects? I'm going to be a mature student so I wont be in the hunt for the top end graduate scheme jobs if that makes anysense.

Although I would like to work abroad for year or so after I finish. Is IET accredition going to impact this?

Surely it cant be that important? Is nt my perfomance on the course, the project i come up with and the ideas I dream up more important?

Ive read a few threads and it almost sounds that you wont be taken seriously without it?

Thanks in advance
Yeah it's pretty important. You need accreditation from an engineering body in order to attain chartership, as chartership comes with a fairly significant increase in your pay cap it is strongly advisable to have an accredited degree.

If you do a non=accredited bachelor's it's not the end of the world as you can do an accredited masters and that will put you on track, but a non-accredited MEng would be less than ideal.

It's important because it sets out the minimum content that a degree in a certain area should contain, this is usually a fairly low bar so failing to meet it raises some red flags.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Yeah it's pretty important. You need accreditation from an engineering body in order to attain chartership, as chartership comes with a fairly significant increase in your pay cap it is strongly advisable to have an accredited degree.

If you do a non=accredited bachelor's it's not the end of the world as you can do an accredited masters and that will put you on track, but a non-accredited MEng would be less than ideal.

It's important because it sets out the minimum content that a degree in a certain area should contain, this is usually a fairly low bar so failing to meet it raises some red flags.

Yess exacltyy.
Ik this is 3 years old, but I need to say this.

I went to King’s to study Biomedical Engineering (BEng).
Turns out the course wasn’t accredited, thankfully I noticed this before moving on to the MEng.

I ended up graduating with a non-accredited BEng and doing an accredited Msc at Cambridge, which totally saved me.

Doing a non-accredited BEng isn’t a big deal, as long as you move on to an accredited Msc

*DO NOT DO A NON-ACCREDITED MEng*
Reply 3
do you think bcs accreditation is okay for a being degree (its computer systems eng)
Original post by Nick1621
Hi,

Ive applied to a few universities to enrol in an electrical engineering degree.

Some of the courses are IET accredited, Others are not.

How important is IET accredition for future job prospects? I'm going to be a mature student so I wont be in the hunt for the top end graduate scheme jobs if that makes anysense.

Although I would like to work abroad for year or so after I finish. Is IET accredition going to impact this?

Surely it cant be that important? Is nt my perfomance on the course, the project i come up with and the ideas I dream up more important?

Ive read a few threads and it almost sounds that you wont be taken seriously without it?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest