The Student Room Group

IB and Education

Hi,

I really think you are wrong in that respect. Some of the world's education systems are as difficult
as the IB , especially some European and Asian education systems (German Arbitur, French equivalent,
Hong Kong education system, etc.) But I think that the decency of an education system would depend
on where you live in the world whether Uni would advantage you, and in most cases it would. IB is
supposed to be great preparation for University; I have talked to many people who completed the
diploma two years ago and were undertaking uni studies last year; they said that IB had been great
preparation— its independent learning style in regards to assessments, EE, etc. had been great
practise, and in some subjects (eg. psychology) they were quite a long way ahead, as the standard
education system here doesn't offer
psychology as a subject. Our state's normal education system seems like a remains of years of
government policy, and it's definitely not an education system... in some subjects, the only way
you can fail is if you don't turn up to an exam... it's a complete joke. I did IB because of the
superiority in learning and education, and although I haven't even started uni, I know the sort of
work type to expect, having had to have done 5 essays at once (all assessments) at one point last
term; Uni, though perhaps not as intense in that respect, would demand high-quality research tasks
like them.

However, there is no way IB can make people smarter. That is up to the individual.

I don't know whether anyone saw a few years ago a news item about a report by the English education
minister in the Blair Government. He stated that he had recognised the educational value of the IB,
and would give schools the option of dropping A-Levels altogether and introducing the IB. Obviously
some people realise the IB does advantage students.

I would have to say that the IB disadvantaging people's social lives is rubbish too.
Reply 1
<<I would have to say that the IB disadvantaging people's social lives is rubbish too.>>

I have to disagree on that one. While I participated on the varsity volleyball team all 4 years and
in several extracurriculars, my actual social life left much to be desired. Not so much that I never
had time to go out, but that my *friends* never had time to go out. And with 6 classes with the same
10-15 people, it's difficult to meet new people to find new friends to hang out with. At my school,
IB kids are very segregated from the regular students (although, sometimes I'm glad for that!). So,
I would say that IB has in fact disadvantaged my social life. However, on the bright side, I think
it's been a positive influence in a way because I've been so busy with schoolwork that I never had
time to get in trouble (which I might have if I didn't have something to do).

Latest

Trending

Trending