The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Congrats. I also have a generic specific learning difficulities label. :smile:

what will the Msc be in and where?
Reply 781
it will be a pgce secondary maths. (teacher training). at liverpool hope. i already have had accepted an offer of a place for it. so yay the only thing now left to sort is accomodation.
Hey, just wanted to see if anyone is applying this year to university and is going to apply for the DSA, or is going to need student support...?
I'm going to the University of Sheffield to do Hispanic Studies and Politics, just about to send off the finance form to get the DSA form. I'm also bringing my car with me next year, plus I need lecture support, etc. etc.
Argh, so much to do! :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 783
Mathy, Ace from Space
Hey, just wanted to see if anyone is applying this year to university and is going to apply for the DSA, or is going to need student support...?
I'm going to the University of Sheffield to do Hispanic Studies and Politics, just about to send off the finance form to get the DSA form. I'm also bringing my car with me next year, plus I need lecture support, etc. etc.
Argh, so much to do! :s-smilie: :smile:

Yes it is good to send the form off as soon as possible.
How come you need lecture support?
Thank you!
I need support for taking notes, and stuff - my muscle weakness means that I write really slowly, so they suggested that I get someone who can write my notes for me, or get the lecturer to photocopy their notes... :smile:
Reply 785
Mathy, they'll probably also provide you with a Dictaphone which is really useful for recording the lecture so you can make your own notes later on.
Yeah, I heard about that - do they provide it automatically or do I have to apply for one, or buy my own, or something and they'll pay me back - or does it come out of the DSA...?
Reply 787
DSA provide it. DSA is very rarely just money into your account, it's services/items that you need.
OK, thanks! :smile:
Wow this thread has grinded to a halt. I'm sick of the attitude a number of people in this forum have against dyslexia: that it's just an excuse, people should work harder, people get extra time and free computers for writing in textspeak, it's survival of the fittest etc! :mad: They're all so prejudice and ignorant. If they happen to have a child with dyslexia, they wouldn't feel that way anymore!
Reply 790
People are prejudice against most forms of disability. I developed epilepsy when I was 1 after a serious head injury. I had a lot of seizures in school (last year of my A-Levels). My friends couldn't cope so one by one they walked away. One particular day I had a very bad seizure and I came round with the first aider next to me and a crowd of students around me. One of them told me I was possessed by the Devil, but could be saved if I would only renounce my sinful ways and walk in to the light of the Lord God and Christ Our Saviour King.

The first aider had to be held back because he was about to thump the kid who said it. Personally, I think they should have let him.

What a ****er
sounds like the horrible religious notion that god punishes bad people by giving them disabled babies. truly horrific.
Reply 792
Ethereal
People are prejudice against most forms of disability.

Indeed. The illness I have, the effects are similar to dyslexia and dyspraxia (unsure of either spelling) and I've been called thick several times for that reason.

My friends couldn't cope so one by one they walked away.

That's just cruel.:frown:
Reply 793
Way of the world unfortunately.

I've lost a lot of friends over my mental illness so much so that I don't declare it to jobs, don't even tell people any more because they just don't understand.

I especially hate "snap out of it" :mad: "smile and it'll be okay" :s-smilie: and "but everyone hates Winter":rolleyes:
Reply 794
Titch89

That's just cruel.:frown:

Tis life
Reply 795
Gemz87
I especially hate "snap out of it" :mad: "smile and it'll be okay" :s-smilie:

Heard those many times and 'get a boyfriend'.:rolleyes:
Reply 796
Titch89

Oh yes. I always had a guy through school, got with most guys if I liked them and went for it. Now, I'm too scared, who the heck would want to be with someone that doesn't want to know anyone for three months of the year?!
Titch89

I suffer from depression and if I had a penny for everytime someone has told me that...

In my experience most people are selfish and only want friends who accommodate them. :frown:
Titch89

Eubacterium
In my experience most people are selfish and only want friends who accommodate them.

That's so true - they don't realise how hard it is... :frown:
Reply 799
Eubacterium
In my experience most people are selfish and only want friends who accommodate them. :frown:

Luckily, I've not experienced this much.

Latest