The Student Room Group

arguments against positivism?

What would be some rational arguments against positivism? I'm thinking of both practical arguments and ideological arguments.
Interperativism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you verify the verification principle?

Spoiler

My argument against positivism is that most of people who think positively have more expectations than people who think negatively. If the expectations doesn't come be true, they are more disappointed than negative thinking people, as they have no expectations from the beginning. But they were happier than positive thinking people, if a little improvement come be true.
Reply 4
Negativism.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
My argument against positivism is that most of people who think positively have more expectations than people who think negatively. If the expectations doesn't come be true, they are more disappointed than negative thinking people, as they have no expectations from the beginning. But they were happier than positive thinking people, if a little improvement come be true.

I admire that you typed that out.
But...something tells me that that's not the positivism the OP was talking about. :tongue:
Original post by MW24595
I admire that you typed that out.
But...something tells me that that's not the positivism the OP was talking about. :tongue:

Who/what is OP? I didn't type it out, it is my own consideration against positivism. If I would have typed it out, there were no write errors in my comment. :wink:

By the way another argument by myself against positivism is that negative thinking people are more cautious than positive thinking people. If you aren't convince, imagine a forest in which a grizzly bear and two persons exist. Who of them will suppose the danger first? the positive thinking and unworried man or the negative thinking and worried one?
Reply 7
I suppose a good basic argument is that not everything is quantifiable and can be measured so there may be many phenomena that exists but cannot be picked up using strictly positivistic methods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending