The Student Room Group

Further Maths A level in 1 year

I'm thinking of self teaching further maths next year as I want to apply for maths at uni.
Any advice from anyone who's done this?
I'm a bit worried since there will no longer be January exams, meaning I will have like 13 exams :frown:
Everyone since now will have lots of exams in June.
Reply 2
I understand that but if I didn't do further maths I'd only have 7. So I'm just trying to decide if I should take it or not, since the extra pressure would make me do considerably worse in all my exams.
Reply 3
I was in the same position as you in September, but after looking at the specifications and some examples I chose to only study AS. Partly because fast-tracking would require me to do Mechanics - the sole reason that I dropped Physics after completing my AS year. I figure that unless the university you want to go to specifically states that you need FM, it's better to have a good grade at AS than the spread yourself thin and get a lower grade overall.
Reply 4
Original post by tjsmith94
I was in the same position as you in September, but after looking at the specifications and some examples I chose to only study AS. Partly because fast-tracking would require me to do Mechanics - the sole reason that I dropped Physics after completing my AS year. I figure that unless the university you want to go to specifically states that you need FM, it's better to have a good grade at AS than the spread yourself thin and get a lower grade overall.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm also doing Physics AS and I didn't mind mechanics, and I will be doing M1 in Maths next year anyway, so I'm doing mechanics either way.
Some of the universities say they want a specific grade in further maths - if taken. My school doesn't offer it which is a good enough reason to not take it, but I want to apply to top universities and I just can't help but think "why would they pick me when there will be enough people applying who will have further maths?".
Reply 5
Original post by Gotzz
Thanks for the reply.
I'm also doing Physics AS and I didn't mind mechanics, and I will be doing M1 in Maths next year anyway, so I'm doing mechanics either way.
Some of the universities say they want a specific grade in further maths - if taken. My school doesn't offer it which is a good enough reason to not take it, but I want to apply to top universities and I just can't help but think "why would they pick me when there will be enough people applying who will have further maths?".

If you're setting your heart on the likes of Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham and UCL then further maths is probably a must. Most of the subjects you cover in C3 and C4 will be revised in FP1, FP2 and FP3. It isn't necessarily any harder than the normal A-level maths, it just requires more thought. At least, that's my opinion of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
It's not as bad as you think. I had to sit all exams in the summer (Jan exams weren't allowed for weirdo reasons) and turned out alright actually.
Reply 7
Original post by Gotzz
I'm thinking of self teaching further maths next year as I want to apply for maths at uni.
Any advice from anyone who's done this?
I'm a bit worried since there will no longer be January exams, meaning I will have like 13 exams :frown:

Depends on your abilities, the other subjects you do and the workload you are willing to put in.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone.
My other subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and Maths, obviously). I will most likely drop physics after AS though.
Reply 9
Original post by Gotzz
Thanks everyone.
My other subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and Maths, obviously). I will most likely drop physics after AS though.

I don't blame you. I never really liked physics and I couldn't wait to drop it once I'd finished my AS year.
Reply 10
Original post by tjsmith94
I don't blame you. I never really liked physics and I couldn't wait to drop it once I'd finished my AS year.

I do like it but it's definitely my hardest subject. What grade did you get in it?
Reply 11
Original post by Gotzz
I do like it but it's definitely my hardest subject. What grade did you get in it?

I got a C at AS, it was sucky. I got A's in all the practicals but when it came to writing down my thought processes and doing mechanics, I had no hope.

Quick Reply

Latest