The Student Room Group

I'm A Maths Student - Ask Me Anything

There was a thread from about 3 years ago that was a similar thing and there was also some sort of AMA program at one point but that seems inactive.

I'm about to enter my 3rd year of a 4 year MMath at a Russell group university (trying to avoid doxxing myself too much)

Feel free to ask anything about university maths.
Original post by JJPSWFC
There was a thread from about 3 years ago that was a similar thing and there was also some sort of AMA program at one point but that seems inactive.

I'm about to enter my 3rd year of a 4 year MMath at a Russell group university (trying to avoid doxxing myself too much)

what do we do to prepare for it? the transition from school to uni math specifically (this seems to be hardest for most)

And how good is newcastle university for maths, and statistics
Reply 2
Do you study the topics in Further Maths in Year 1? :s-smilie:

Is there mostly Pure? Statistics? Mecanics? Decision Maths?
Reply 3
Original post by justlearning1469
what do we do to prepare for it? the transition from school to uni math specifically (this seems to be hardest for most)

And how good is newcastle university for maths, and statistics

I think it can be stressful as a transition but in my opinion, you need to just keep your brain occupied in the summer. Refresh your memory on the A-Level content. If you didn't do further maths, maybe try to look through a bit of it.
That being said, don't stress yourself out before you even get there. It can be a hard transition but unless you want to try to find university content before you're even there, everybody is in the same boat.
As for Newcastle, I know somebody there who is enjoying it, I can't speak for the course specifically though.
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
Do you study the topics in Further Maths in Year 1? :s-smilie:

Is there mostly Pure? Statistics? Mecanics? Decision Maths?

Yes :smile:. It's more like term 1 than the whole year and there are bits of "further maths" dotted into even parts of second year.

There's mostly whatever you want there to be most of, at least once you get to the later years. In first year you'll probably have to do everything (except decision, which doesn't really come up at my uni except dotted here and there in second year). Once you get to second year you'll probably have more choice over which you pick. I'm not very good at mechanics so I don't do mechanics anymore.

There might be slightly more pure on a standard maths course but that's because a lot of the time it's important for other modules.
Reply 5
Original post by JJPSWFC
Yes :smile:. It's more like term 1 than the whole year and there are bits of "further maths" dotted into even parts of second year.

There's mostly whatever you want there to be most of, at least once you get to the later years. In first year you'll probably have to do everything (except decision, which doesn't really come up at my uni except dotted here and there in second year). Once you get to second year you'll probably have more choice over which you pick. I'm not very good at mechanics so I don't do mechanics anymore.

There might be slightly more pure on a standard maths course but that's because a lot of the time it's important for other modules.

Just to avoid confusion: obviously all of the further maths content is still taught because further maths isn't a requirement for the vast majority of universities. That being said, it's also obviously going to be slightly easier to learn content based around further maths content if you already know the further maths content.

If you didn't do it at A-Level I would personally recommend you have at least a glance through the core modules.
Original post by JJPSWFC
I think it can be stressful as a transition but in my opinion, you need to just keep your brain occupied in the summer. Refresh your memory on the A-Level content. If you didn't do further maths, maybe try to look through a bit of it.
That being said, don't stress yourself out before you even get there. It can be a hard transition but unless you want to try to find university content before you're even there, everybody is in the same boat.
As for Newcastle, I know somebody there who is enjoying it, I can't speak for the course specifically though.

I see, i'll be self-studying FM and no, I'm not finding new uni content before I'm even there, I'm merely consolidating the content that I've learnt so far. And perhaps going through FM. There are some stuff, like art of problem solving, nrich, step, and their further reading, plus magazine etc. that would be very useful!

What about balancing that with hobbies?

Original post by JJPSWFC

Which parts of FM is most useful to study? All the core modules?

What about underground maths, step support program etc. for math uni prep?
Original post by JJPSWFC

How did you get about writing a personal statement for the course while applying and what's the difference between your expectations when you were at A level and the current reality ?

Quick Reply

Latest