The Student Room Group

Mathematics course

Last year I received an A*A*B (Further maths, maths and biology) for my A-levels and was rejected by my firm choice. As such I decided to go to my insurance choice which asked for an ABB. The university I am currently attending is a non-russel uni and its mathematics course is nothing like what I have expected it to be. While I like the modules, the depth and difficulty level of the topics are nowhere at the level I want them to be.
Prior to attending the university, I have read rigorous mathematical texts such as Spivak and R.Courant and expected the course to somewhat resemble these books. Should I transfer to a different uni as the course is not challenging at all.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by Dr.Stein
Last year I received an A*A*B (Further maths, maths and biology) for my A-levels and was rejected by my firm choice. As such I decided to go to my insurance choice which asked for an ABB. The university I am currently attending is a non-russel uni and its mathematics course is nothing like what I have expected it to be. While I like the modules, the depth and difficulty level of the topics are nowhere at the level I want them to be.
Prior to attending the university, I have read rigorous mathematical texts such as Spivak and R.Courant and expected the course to somewhat resemble these books. Should I transfer to a different uni as the course is not challenging at all.

I can't comment on specifics as my education was completed years ago, but you need to be mindful of a few things:
what sort of target uni are you looking at?
would your desired uni accept transfers in or would you have to start from scratch doing the 1st year again?
how can you be sure that other unis don't teach maths at a similar pace or level of rigour as your current uni?
would you get the same module choice / opportunities at a different uni compared to your current one?

There are an awful lot of people studying for "maths degrees" these days, but no two degrees are equal, and once you come out of the Oxford / Cambridge / Russell Group arena, you'll find that it's not uncommon for unis to teach at a much slower pace and/or less challenging content. That's not a criticism, but you need to be very careful about where you end up. Having said that, the positive side is that maths degrees are seen as valuable by employers wherever you study, so unless you're set on doing academic research, there isn't necessarily going to be a problem :smile:
Reply 3

I would suggest talking with your tutor or a lecturer about the situation, and ask if they are willing to guide you through a book that you will find challenging.

Which Spivak or Courant books may I ask?
Reply 4
Original post by zetamcfc
I would suggest talking with your tutor or a lecturer about the situation, and ask if they are willing to guide you through a book that you will find challenging.

Which Spivak or Courant books may I ask?

Spivak Calculus and Courant differential and integral calc vol 1 and 2
Reply 5

I don't know about maths specifically, but in a lot of cases the first year of a university course is designed to get everyone up to the same level, bearing in mind that some people may have just met the offer for the course having only done A-level maths (and not further maths), while others may have cruised through easily getting an A* in both maths and further maths.

As suggested by @zetamcfc, it would be worth talking to your tutor about this. It might be that the level expected in years 2 and 3 will be significantly higher than in year 1, and this might allay your concerns.

Are you considering going into further study in mathematics after your degree -- for example, a master's or a PhD?
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
I don't know about maths specifically, but in a lot of cases the first year of a university course is designed to get everyone up to the same level, bearing in mind that some people may have just met the offer for the course having only done A-level maths (and not further maths), while others may have cruised through easily getting an A* in both maths and further maths.

As suggested by @zetamcfc, it would be worth talking to your tutor about this. It might be that the level expected in years 2 and 3 will be significantly higher than in year 1, and this might allay your concerns.

Are you considering going into further study in mathematics after your degree -- for example, a master's or a PhD?

Yes, hopefully
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest