The Student Room Group

Warwick Vs. St.Adnrews. Vs. Bristol Vs. Bath Vs. Durham

I have 5 unconditional offers and I need to pick one. Please help and tell me which one would you choose and why?

Bath University: Business Administration
Bristol University: Economics and Management
Durham University: Business Economics
St. Andrews University: Management
Warwick University: International Management

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bristol or Warwick. They're both quite well known for Business/Economics courses. Durham is good, but I'd say that it's business school isn't as great as it's other departments. Baths great, but I think Warwick an Bristol has a slight edge. I personally wouldn't attend st Andrew's; however this is only my opinion. St Andrew's courses are usually 4 years, which means extra tuition fees and also I feel that it's not as good as people say it is. I'd go bristol tbh, it's in a great city and it's good university in the same league as Warwick.
Reply 2
Wow you have some amazing offers. I don't want to say which one to go for as I've heard they are all extremely good. However if I had to pick one I would say Durham. It's business school is up and coming and it has a really good reputation for Economics as far as I'm aware. I have visited the Business campus and it really suits me. If you like small, friendly and compact places with everything max five mins walk from your college accommodation then I'd deffo go for Durham.

If it helps their are two videos below that might be of interest. But like I said they are all amazing offers im just telling you why Durham interests me. Good luck with everything :smile:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpyPXM52-o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1cw4QQlZM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Warwick has crap city, either Bristol or Bath. If you like sports then Bath.
Reply 4
Original post by add4
Wow you have some amazing offers. I don't want to say which one to go for as I've heard they are all extremely good. However if I had to pick one I would say Durham. It's business school is up and coming and it has a really good reputation for Economics as far as I'm aware. I have visited the Business campus and it really suits me. If you like small, friendly and compact places with everything max five mins walk from your college accommodation then I'd deffo go for Durham.

If it helps their are two videos below that might be of interest. But like I said they are all amazing offers im just telling you why Durham interests me. Good luck with everything :smile:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpyPXM52-o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1cw4QQlZM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually sorry I might have got it wrong. I think your course will be based at Durham city not Queens campus. But still I think Durham still has a good reputation for economics. The league tables are as follows:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/durham/performance?s=Business+Studies

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/durham/performance?s=Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, your replies were very helpful. :-) Does anybody else have any help to offer?
Thank you for the links and kind words Add4!
Original post by the_contrarian
I have 5 unconditional offers and I need to pick one. Please help and tell me which one would you choose and why?

Bath University: Business Administration
Bristol University: Economics and Management
Durham University: Business Economics
St. Andrews University: Management
Warwick University: International Management

Bath or Warwick without a shadow of a doubt. Bath is a much nicer city tho, and there's loads of sport. The BBA course in particular is hugely respected.
Reply 8
Original post by richardjonesbb
Bath or Warwick without a shadow of a doubt. Bath is a much nicer city tho, and there's loads of sport. The BBA course in particular is hugely respected.

OP, just so you know, the poster above might be a little biased since they attend Bath university
Reply 9
Original post by FloydRix
Warwick has crap city, either Bristol or Bath. If you like sports then Bath.

Warwick isn't a city for a start..
Reply 10
St Andies
I've been looking on Uni Stats at the tables for average starting salary and percentage of graduates in professional and managerial jobs six months after graduation. Does anybody know how accurate these statistics are, because the results are pretty surprising:

Average salary 6 months after graduating (in pounds):

1. Business Adminsitration at Bath University: 28,500
2. Economics and Management at Bristol University: 28,000
3. International Management at Warwick University: 27,000
4. Business Economics at Durham Univeristy: 27,000
5. Management at St. Andrews University: Information Unavailable

Perentage of employed students in professional or managerial jobs within 6 months of graduating

1. Bath: 96%
2. Warwick: 90%
3. Bristol: 90%
4. Durham: 85%
5. St. Andrews 85%

Please do not comment telling me that I should learn for the intristic joy of knowledge alone. I'm an international student who is spending a lot of money in travelling to and living in the UK and paying international fees, and it is very difficult for me me, as a non-EU passport holder, to secure a job and work visa in the UK, so I have to be pragmatic about the immediate practical implications of my degree.
Reply 12
The Bath degree has a sandwich placement (or is it two?) which may help your employability at the end of the degree. Bath is also ranked the highest ranked of your offers (3rd) on this set of rankings: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+Studies (NB: usual disclaimers about relying solely on rankings, etc, etc.)

Warwick is not in a city, which some find off-putting, but it is a very highly regarded university.

St Andrews is a very highly regarded course and a highly regarded university. It is in a town not a city. I can't really comment further.

Bristol is a fabulous university city, but the management course is very new so it's tough to know whether they're still bedding it in. The economics department is very well regarded though. Did I mention it's a fabulous city?

Durham is a fabulous university city but the management department is at Queen's Campus in Stockton. You need to check where the Business Economics course is run. If it is in the main part of Durham I would seriously consider this option. If it is run in Stockton then I would not.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these options, they're all very good and will make you very employable. To help you make the decision, take a look at other important things such as accommodation, the location of each university, clubs & societies offered. If you haven't visited them in person, look for virtual tours on YouTube. As an international student you should also research how well each university is known/regarded in your home country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Crumpet1
The Bath degree has a sandwich placement (or is it two?) which may help your employability at the end of the degree. Bath is also ranked the highest ranked of your offers (3rd) on this set of rankings: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+Studies (NB: usual disclaimers about relying solely on rankings, etc, etc.)

Warwick is not in a city, which some find off-putting, but it is a very highly regarded university.

St Andrews is a very highly regarded course and a highly regarded university. It is in a town not a city. I can't really comment further.

Bristol is a fabulous university city, but the management course is very new so it's tough to know whether they're still bedding it in. The economics department is very well regarded though. Did I mention it's a fabulous city?

Durham is a fabulous university city but the management department is at Queen's Campus in Stockton. You need to check where the Business Economics course is run. If it is in the main part of Durham I would seriously consider this option. If it is run in Stockton then I would not.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these options, they're all very good and will make you very employable. To help you make the decision, take a look at other important things such as accommodation, the location of each university, clubs & societies offered. If you haven't visited them in person, look for virtual tours on YouTube. As an international student you should also research how well each university is known/regarded in your home country.

Thank you very much Crumpet. At the moment I'm most partial to Bristol and Bath.

Bristol seems to have the best combination of city, course and university all being excellent. But I'm worried that I will not really be able to experience 'campus life' given how scattered the University is. Do you think that will take away from my student experience?

And whilst I love the course structure at Bath (and it seems like an absolutly beautiful place to live in) I'm getting mixed messages regarding the reputation; it seems to be one of the best business courses out there, but university reputation-wise it looks to be lagging behind my other choices quite considerably. How is the university generally perceived in the UK?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Both are in the top 10 universities targeted by graduate employers. http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport13.pdf

They are at 10 and 11 in the top universities in the general (not subject specific) Best Universities rankings. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Are you sure you're not looking at the rankings for Bath Spa university (which is the former polytechnic)? Bath University itself doesn't lag behind anything. See here for a comparison of all the rankings - you'll see Bath does very well in all of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom

I don't think you would miss out on campus life at Bristol - your life would probably be centred around your hall of residence in the first year and you would mainly go to the university for study.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I think your Business Economics course at Durham would be in the city. However if it isn't its not such a bad thing. Queens campus in Stockton is really great in its own right. It's small, compact and friendly. Your lectures and everything are like max 5 mins from college accommodation. Free bus up to Durham city about 35-40 mins, Stockton is great for all your essentials. Teeside park is just up the road with lots of shops, bars, foody places, cinema and bowling etc. Middlesbrough is just up road has more shopping centres etc plus all the night life. Plus Newcastle is only 30mins away by bus lots to do there. Oh and local train station goes to York, Leeds, Manchester and London. Not saying its what's best for you but it's deffo something to consider. Many people slag off Queens campus when in fact it's really friendly and open :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
You're kidding Stockton is horrible and the campus is totally different to durham
Reply 17
Original post by Zenomorph
You're kidding Stockton is horrible and the campus is totally different to durham

I really don't feel it's that bad. In some respects it has far more going for it than Durham (particularly cinema and music venues).

Original post by manty
Warwick isn't a city for a start..

But Warwick University isn't in Warwick. It's in (well on the edge) of Coventry. I believe it was Coventry that was being referred to.
Reply 18
Original post by River85
I really don't feel it's that bad. In some respects it has far more going for it than Durham (particularly cinema and music venues).

But Warwick University isn't in Warwick. It's in (well on the edge) of Coventry. I believe it was Coventry that was being referred to.

Well, you're a Durham alumni so I can't expect anything less.
Reply 19
Original post by Zenomorph
Well, you're a Durham alumni so I can't expect anything less.

No I'm not. I'm afraid I am only one person. I am therefore a Durham alumnus.

Anyway, exactly, so have experience of Durham and capable of giving informed opinions about Durham and Stockton. You'll find that my posts about Durham (including university comparison threads) are fairly well balanced and will often recommend a poster goes to a different university when I feel it's appropriate. So don't come that lark.

I am giving an honest assessment of Stockton (and you'll notice I said in some respects it is BETTER than Durham). I never attended Queen's Campus, however.

In terms of cinemas and clubs it is better than Durham (even if it's a long off major students cities such as Newcastle and Leeds). Yes, it is a little industrial, but you don't need to venture far outside of it until you're in the North Yorks Moors or Teesdale, so although it contrasts with Durham you are hardly starved off pretty scenery and fantastic rural areas.

Ultimately, like most campuses, it's a bit like marmite. However, I don't feel it should be immediately dismissed. Or at least say more than "it's horrible".

Please don't dismiss or belittle my posts in such a way.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending