The Student Room Group

Warwick Vs. St.Adnrews. Vs. Bristol Vs. Bath Vs. Durham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mathaddict
He wasn't comparing Durham University to the other unis OP mentioned - he was comparing Queen's Campus, Stockton to the main campus within Durham. There is no bias being displayed here at all. Quite the contrary, given that he attended the main campus, NOT Queen's, but he's still saying positive things about the latter.

As for your dilemma OP, I'm sure you can appreciate why all your choices have been recommended in at least one response each in this thread - they are all highly-regarded institutions with great value for your money. Personally I would choose Bristol or Warwick; Bristol for its reputation + the all-round experience in a nice city (and the Economics content), and Warwick for its great reputation alone (the WBS is a fantastic department with great connections too). I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices though, to be fair - you are very fortunate to have offers from all these unis.:smile:

EDIT: I have just checked out the list of partner universities for the year abroad in Warwick's course - wowzer!:eek4:

Uh huh,

So by that logic, if I attended University X's campus A but never been to campus B, my comments on A are with as much foundation as B ?

Hmm I'm not sure about that.
Reply 41
Original post by Zenomorph
Surely you can appreciate why it would be very difficult for an alumnus not to be a little biased towards their ex-university ?

Ultimately, you have no idea what experience a person had when at university and how they feel about the place. If you open your eyes you will see me being incredibly critical about Durham at times, especially in 2009, and still am to some extent now (particularly when discussing Durham's School of Government).

I also continually make posts such as this. Do you see Durham bias dripping from that post? It's incredibly fair to Liverpool (some might say too fair).

Their opinions are affected by the experience they had, but this can make their opinions particularly valuable to applicants as they can come from a more informed position with greater knowledge and they can still provide a balanced overview.

This site is here for current or previous students to provide advice and information. Where would be if we just dismissed everyone's advice because they are a current student or graduate of university x so therefore "biased"?

Now I'm not going to justify myself further, as I really don't need to, but just to let you know that I do pride myself on trying to provide as balanced an overview as possible and know most do recognise and appreciate this. So I do find it irritating when someone comes along and dismisses my post(s) simply because I'm a graduate of one of the universities so "biased".

I really don't like the feel of Stockton it looks so fake like a new town tacked on to the side of Durham.

Do you mean the town, or the campus? It's 20 miles from Durham. It's Teesside, so just outside Middlesbrough.

I also don't like the fact that it is quite far from the main campus and it feels very disconnected.

Right, which is better than just saying it's horrible.

I believe what was originally meant is that it can offer as many, if not more, amenities than Durham city can. This is undoubtedly true. You have more music venues, shopping is at least as good, so too clubs. It is also close to Middlesbrough which offers a better clubbing scene than Durham (not saying much, however). It was never meant that it has the same feel as Durham, or that it too is some pretty, historic city.

Thus if I chose Durham I'd only consider the main campus.

Well, it's not a campus, but I know what you mean. Yes, and so would I (although, having spent too many years at Durham, I wouldn't even consider Durham again). I probably wouldn't have chosen Durham if my course was at Queen's Campus.

But, as the OP's course is in Durham city, I would like further discussion to be about Durham and not Queen's Campus.
Reply 42
Original post by River85
Ultimately, you have no idea what experience a person had when at university and how they feel about the place. If you open your eyes you will see me being incredibly critical about Durham at times, especially in 2009, and still am to some extent now (particularly when discussing Durham's School of Government).

I also continually make posts such as this. Do you see Durham bias dripping from that post? It's incredibly fair to Liverpool (some might say too fair).

Their opinions are affected by the experience they had, but this can make their opinions particularly valuable to applicants as they can come from a more informed position with greater knowledge and they can still provide a balanced overview.

This site is here for current or previous students to provide advice and information. Where would be if we just dismissed everyone's advice because they are a current student or graduate of university x so therefore "biased"?

Now I'm not going to justify myself further, as I really don't need to, but just to let you know that I do pride myself on trying to provide as balanced an overview as possible and know most do recognise and appreciate this. So I do find it irritating when someone comes along and dismisses my post(s) simply because I'm a graduate of one of the universities so "biased".

Do you mean the town, or the campus? It's 20 miles from Durham. It's Teesside, so just outside Middlesbrough.

I believe what was originally meant is that it can offer as many, if not more, amenities than Durham city can. This is undoubtedly true. You have more music venues, shopping is at least as good, so too clubs. It is also close to Middlesbrough which offers a better clubbing scene than Durham (not saying much, however). It was never meant that it has the same feel as Durham, or that it too is some pretty, historic city.

Well, it's not a campus, but I know what you mean. Yes, and so would I (although, having spent too many years at Durham, I wouldn't even consider Durham again). I probably wouldn't have chosen Durham if my course was at Queen's Campus.

But, as the OP's course is in Durham city, I would like further discussion to be about Durham and not Queen's Campus.

OK, if you're implying that you are completely unbiased, then whose to say ?

Can you be the judge of your own bias / unbias ?

I think my last word on this is that we will have to agree to disagree.

Also if you read what I said properly, I didn't say you were biased, I simply posed the question.

The fact is that I feel the whole Stockton campus is pretty bad is not changed the further description of it being fake but again I stress that this my personal view only.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Coventry is a big city with 50,000 students including Coventry and Warwick Uni's (yes, Warwick Uni is in Coventry, just as Coventry is in Warwickshire), nearby are other smaller towns like Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth, Nuneaton, Rugby, Bedworth giving the area a huge mix of experiences, even Stratford upon avon in close (Shakespeare).

I get fed up with folk running down the Coventry, it isn't is boring although Warwick Uni is on the outskirts so the Uni bus is a must.

Don't believe the negative things you hear about one of the oldest and most historically important cities in England, also 4th safest in the UK.
Reply 44
I don't know about the others here, but as far as i know, only Warwick has a world-class, top-brass, super-elite business school. It's also the only one in the OP's list that is highly considered as a "core school" and top feeder for top bulge-bracket firms like Goldman Sachs, UBS and such. Warwick grads get FO positions at most of the leading IBanks, something that the others in OP's list could hardly do. At Warwick, you can even do a year at Wharton or Cornell or U of Chicago!!! I, on the other hand, was an undergrad at Stanford University when I did some courses at Warwick.

Warwick partner universities worldwide -- http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/international/ExchangePrograms/Warwick/index.html

Warwick being the only target school in your list for FO IB -- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=716188

WBS rankings -- http://www.wbs.ac.uk/wbs2012/assets/PDF/downloads/about/wbs-institutional-partners.pdf

WBS rankings --http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/warwick-business-school
http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/warwick-business-school/
Thank you all very much for your replies. After much consideration, I have decided on Warwick University.
Reply 46
Original post by the_contrarian
I have 5 unconditional offers and I need to pick one. Please help and tell me which one would you choose and why?

Bath University: Business Administration
Bristol University: Economics and Management
Durham University: Business Economics
St. Andrews University: Management
Warwick University: International Management

Original post by Nitrogen
Bristol or Warwick. They're both quite well known for Business/Economics courses. Durham is good, but I'd say that it's business school isn't as great as it's other departments. Baths great, but I think Warwick an Bristol has a slight edge. I personally wouldn't attend st Andrew's; however this is only my opinion. St Andrew's courses are usually 4 years, which means extra tuition fees and also I feel that it's not as good as people say it is. I'd go bristol tbh, it's in a great city and it's good university in the same league as Warwick.

Original post by add4
Wow you have some amazing offers. I don't want to say which one to go for as I've heard they are all extremely good. However if I had to pick one I would say Durham. It's business school is up and coming and it has a really good reputation for Economics as far as I'm aware. I have visited the Business campus and it really suits me. If you like small, friendly and compact places with everything max five mins walk from your college accommodation then I'd deffo go for Durham.

If it helps their are two videos below that might be of interest. But like I said they are all amazing offers im just telling you why Durham interests me. Good luck with everything :smile:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpyPXM52-o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1cw4QQlZM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by FloydRix
Warwick has crap city, either Bristol or Bath. If you like sports then Bath.

Original post by add4
Actually sorry I might have got it wrong. I think your course will be based at Durham city not Queens campus. But still I think Durham still has a good reputation for economics. The league tables are as follows:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/durham/performance?s=Business+Studies

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/durham/performance?s=Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, your replies were very helpful. :-) Does anybody else have any help to offer?

Thank you for the links and kind words Add4!

Original post by richardjonesbb
Bath or Warwick without a shadow of a doubt. Bath is a much nicer city tho, and there's loads of sport. The BBA course in particular is hugely respected.

Original post by Tuerin
OP, just so you know, the poster above might be a little biased since they attend Bath university

Original post by manty
Warwick isn't a city for a start..

Original post by River85

Thank you all very much for your replies. After much consideration, I have decided on Warwick University.

warwick is bad but coventry uni is really close to warwick and is really good and has great departments so perhaps you could transfer ...but they are very strict with admissions so it may not be possible...try though

:dance: great choice!
Reply 48
Original post by Tuerin
Rookie troll

Negative dipstick....... it was a typo !!
Original post by Mathaddict
I know people who have attended WBS, and believe me the school does not suffer for graduate connections. Bath may match WBS for opportunities, but I highly doubt it is outright better. Also, WHERE in these large companies have graduates been placed? It's not as impressive being a back-office Cash Settlements Analyst at Deutsche for instance, so you need to tread caution when reviewing these facts.

As far as the study abroad opportunities go, have you seen where you could go with Warwick's course? Cornell, McGill, Fudan etc. That's incredible.

Add to that the depth and quality of modules available at Warwick, and I would therefore argue Bath's BBA doesn't stick out too much.:tongue: I'm not necessarily arguing that it's better though - they both seem to be great courses.

Hi, I am a BBA student from Bath and just to let you know that UBS, Citi, Barcap etc all take a large handful of students for front office roles (trading, IBD) for both placement and grad jobs. It is very highly regarded by employers with a number of accelerated application processes fpr BBA's. Obviously some do take back or middle office jobs, but often this is by choice.
Reply 50
@[h="1"]listenerandlearner[/h]
I have got a conditional offer from Bath for BBA .But, i am still confused between bath and warwick both in terms of studies and student life.
Being an international student i do not know much about the cities.
Hoping for an early response :smile:
Reply 51
Hi guys!

I am confused between bath and warwick for BBA and international management resepectively. I have to make my firm choice in the next six days and i was inclined toward Warwickbecause of its world-wide reputation. Bath on the other hand attracted me because of its course structure but does not have a reputation equivalent to Warwick. I am an international student and am looking at working in India for a few years before post-grad because its almost impossible to get a job in UK.

Please advice me on the same ASAP
Original post by Diva1996
Hi guys!

I am confused between bath and warwick for BBA and international management resepectively. I have to make my firm choice in the next six days and i was inclined toward Warwickbecause of its world-wide reputation. Bath on the other hand attracted me because of its course structure but does not have a reputation equivalent to Warwick. I am an international student and am looking at working in India for a few years before post-grad because its almost impossible to get a job in UK.

Please advice me on the same ASAP

They're both excellent, but Bath currently has the edge especially if you have a place on the degree which does two 6-month placements. The BBA's post-graduation employment record is phenomenal. Bath is a beautiful compact city with a beautiful campus. Warwick is also a campus university but in the 2nd and 3rd year you often have to live quite a long way out from university which people regularly complain about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Warwick is over rated. Bath has probably the best placement office in the country.
Actually, there are no bad or wrong choices amongst your offers. All are good. Use your personal preferences to eliminate one or two first to make your final selection a little less stressful. And, then, seriously, any choice will be good. Just go with a positive outlook to whichever one you choose and make the best of your time there. You will have a great time and you will have a great career, whichever you choose.
Reply 55
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
Reply 56
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
Hey now that you have already completed your program which one did you choose and would you recommend that to others? I need to choose between Bath, Bristol, Manchester, Kings, and Warwick for a business management undergraduate course.
Original post by vikalpjain1802
Hey now that you have already completed your program which one did you choose and would you recommend that to others? I need to choose between Bath, Bristol, Manchester, Kings, and Warwick for a business management undergraduate course.

Hey @vikalpjain1802

I hope your university applications are going well. In can be a really different decision when trying to decide on where you want to study and potentially spend the next 3 to 4 years of your life. If there is anything you would like to know about our undergraduate courses at Warwick Business School please do not hesitate to ask me, I would be happy to help. :smile:

Francesca
WBS Official Rep
Original post by vikalpjain1802

Hey,

Great to hear you are interested in studying Management at Bath! :smile:

Whilst I can't speak for the other universities, I'll try and give you an idea of why I like it here:

- Being on campus is great in first year and Bath has a nice friendly feel to it. The SU is so close for nights out and you are surrounded by people all the time which, personally, I loved!
- Management is a really international cohort - you meet people from all over the world which is really interesting. Plus there's a lot of group work on the course so you get to know everyone quite well.
- Placement year - I would really recommend the 4-year Management course as the placement year means you leave university with 12-months work experience in a relevant field e.g. marketing, finance. Plus most students at Bath do a placement so there are plenty of Alumni to ask for application tips and you can still graduate the same year as all of your uni friends. The support from the placements team is really good too - they offer 1:1s to help you with your CV, cover letters, interview technique etc.
- Careers service - every week we get a bulletin of all the career events on campus for that week including which companies are hosting talks that you can sign up to - this can include well-known companies like Loreal, PwC, Dyson, Newton, Barclays, JP Morgan etc. Additionally, the careers service offer appointments if you want to discuss career routes.
- There are so many societies, sports and volunteering opportunities to get involved with too.

Overall, I'd say there's a really good balance between academic work and career support, plus all the extra curricular activities open to students.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions! Otherwise, best of luck with your decision :smile:

Alice,
Final Year Management Student, University of Bath
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending