The Student Room Group

Grad School Prospects

Hi everyone,

Newbie here :smile:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone give me some idea about how good will be my chances upon graduating to get into a top grad program maybe an MBA/ MS most likely an MBA(Stanford,INSEAD something like that), if I complete and undergrad degree in CompSci from University of Manchester, or Bristol, or York ( these three made me offers, Cambridge and ICL rejected :frown: ) or going to University of Toronto/Waterloo( they are in Canada).
I am an international student(Indian), I know other factors like work exp matter a lot more, but still if it makes any difference which undergrad program will give me a better chance getting into one of those top post grad programs, provided I do great in undergrad.

Reply 1
115 views, still no reply, Anyone, pls share your 2 cents on that,..
Reply 2
Original post by avenger123321
provided I do great in undergrad.

This is the only part that matters -- all of those unis are great.

Biggest factor is probably whether you want a more rounded education (Canada) or want to graduate in three years (UK).
Reply 3
Hey thanks for the reply,
I am closing on Manchester/Bristol/Toronto, Waterloo is 5 years without any vacations (O.O),

Bristol would be 3 years for me
Manchester 3 or 4 (One year in Course related Industry)
Toronto 4 or 5 years

Toronto is very expensive compared to B/M ( almost double)..

I have heard this a lot of time that published university rankings are misleading, QS world uni rankings place Toronto at 10th, Bristol at 51th, Manchester at 31 for Computer Science, (overall they are 19, 28, 32 respectively), and the League tables used in UK place Bristol at 4th, and Manchester at 19, quite opposite of QS, so its getting annoyingly confusing to choose one from all of them, so any thoughts on simplifying this process???
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by avenger123321
any thoughts on simplifying this process???

I don't think rankings make much of a difference at undergraduate level (although Manchester's student satisfaction seems curiously low). Just sit on the decision and it'll come to you.

I'd strongly recommend taking a year in industry, though -- it'll help to give you a lot of context if you're planning to study for a business degree.
Reply 5
Yeah that involves another layer of confusion, Manchester students say that unlike other universities, Manchester administration doesn't forces students to fill satisfaction forms, thus those who are satisfied never fill, and those who are unhappy in some way fill promptly, taking the score down, thing is Manchester has produced 25 Nobel laureates, compared to 8, 10, 11 of the other uni's I listed, so I guess they did something right?
Reading so far it looks like my mind is made up, but still I'll sit on it for a few weeks,
Thanks a lot for your time, I may ask you more in the future. :smile:
Reply 6
One thing, by the way, about an MBA. If you take an MBA as a fresh graduate without hefty industrial experience of a few years, you won't get the same benefit from the degree. Indeed, many of the very best courses will not take you if you lack industrial experience. Most employers will consider a 'graduate' MBA (straight from a degree) as being worth much, much less than one that requires experience.

George
Reply 7
@ gbuchanan
Hey, Thanks for your reply, I have heard this a lot from my relatives ( they too went abroad), so yeah I plan on doing my MBA later after a few years in work, I actually discovered a more deal breaker sort of a problem, UK master degrees are not recognized in India because they are of 1 year compared to 2, so I am a little shocked, somewhere it also said that same case maybe for bachelors also, does this problem will occur elsewhere in the world also will doing MEng instead of BEng solve the issue?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending