The Student Room Group

advice?

This sounds sooo stupid and it's completely valid, but should I keep my sociology and social policy degree or change to social science degree? I'm in my first year and have a general gist with what I want to do in the future, which is why I want to remain in the social sciences. But which would be better for career prospects? Ik this sounds rlly lame to ask but the overthinking gets to me sometimes
Original post by telecoms80
This sounds sooo stupid and it's completely valid, but should I keep my sociology and social policy degree or change to social science degree? I'm in my first year and have a general gist with what I want to do in the future, which is why I want to remain in the social sciences. But which would be better for career prospects? Ik this sounds rlly lame to ask but the overthinking gets to me sometimes

I get that you want to remain in social sciences, but you didn't specifically say what you want to do after your degree.

Do you intend to become a social researcher? A lecturer? Become a policy maker? Go into teaching? Do something entirely different?

Depending on your response, I can provide a suitable answer. Otherwise, I don't think it would matter that much.

In terms of career prospects, I would only know of 1 type of job where it could possibly matter: becoming a social researcher for the government (https://www.faststream.gov.uk/government-social-research-service/index.html), but they tend to ask for social related degrees with a strong quantitative background. The specific title of the degree isn't a biggy apparently. Otherwise, I don't think there's much difference, especially when you did not specify what sort of career you want.
Original post by MindMax2000
I get that you want to remain in social sciences, but you didn't specifically say what you want to do after your degree.

Do you intend to become a social researcher? A lecturer? Become a policy maker? Go into teaching? Do something entirely different?

Depending on your response, I can provide a suitable answer. Otherwise, I don't think it would matter that much.

In terms of career prospects, I would only know of 1 type of job where it could possibly matter: becoming a social researcher for the government (https://www.faststream.gov.uk/government-social-research-service/index.html), but they tend to ask for social related degrees with a strong quantitative background. The specific title of the degree isn't a biggy apparently. Otherwise, I don't think there's much difference, especially when you did not specify what sort of career you want.

tbh I have two careers in mind. In relation to the social sciences, I would love to go into international development and primarily focus on developing policies internationally. However, I also am thinking about journalism, which is completely unrelated but the year long accredited postgrad course doesn't favour any degree really.
Original post by telecoms80
tbh I have two careers in mind. In relation to the social sciences, I would love to go into international development and primarily focus on developing policies internationally. However, I also am thinking about journalism, which is completely unrelated but the year long accredited postgrad course doesn't favour any degree really.

I would love to go into international development and primarily focus on developing policies internationally
I am not entirely familiar with developing policies internationally, but from what I know of the sector for the UK, you don't strictly need a degree to get into this. You might want to verify this with various agencies and policymarkers.
Also, if you were interested in international development why didn't you choose to do a degree in development studies instead (not that it matters)?

See the following for further information:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/policy-officer
https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/professions/working-in-policy/

If this is a role that you really want, then it's probably an idea to stick to your current degree if you intend to apply to some grad scheme or grad role.

I also am thinking about journalism, which is completely unrelated but the year long accredited postgrad course doesn't favour any degree really.
I concur, you just need a degree in a random subject for MAs in journalism.
Having said that, you don't need a degree at all to get into journalism. If people wanted to, they could have easily gone into the role after they left school (assuming they are able to get the role - it's really competitive).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending