The Student Room Group

Bartlett Assessment Task 2013 (K100)

Checked my UCL Architecture (K100) application three days ago. And got this:
Your application has been unsuccessful.
Regrettably, your performance in the assessment task means that you have not been short-listed for attendance at interview.

I don't want to sound too proud, but I've got a feeling that they didn't even see my works. What do you think?

Here are my works (all of them quick drawings from life, no photos):

IMG.jpgIMG_0001.jpgDSC03355.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0003.jpg
Reply 1
Anyone any ideas?
Reply 2
I don't want to be rude or anything,but your drawings aren't THAT good. And since there are so many applicants at the Bartlett, your portfolio wasn't probably among the best.
Reply 3
Plus, you didn't respect the task, they asked you to submit a portfolio consisting in 6 drawings of spaces/places that you find interesting...
Reply 4
Original post by antofiona
Plus, you didn't respect the task, they asked you to submit a portfolio consisting in 6 drawings of spaces/places that you find interesting...

Thanks for the reply!

Strange, where ever I went I was always the best out of the best in technique and perspective. I'm private art teacher myself. Please, I would be very grateful to you, if you could show me better drawings for assessment task.

Portfolio? They didn't request any portfolios, if they did I would got an offer already.

I'm not sure in which way I didn't respect the task? I have done 6 drawings of places and spaces, and I find them interesting. They are not copied from anywhere and are quick sketches - "They can be really mundane".

Compare mine works to this applicant works for 2012, he was invited to an interview.
His works:
image_1361830036866630.jpgimage_1361830060508356.jpgimage_1361830071897767.jpgimage_1361830084120332.jpgimage_1361830096104414.jpg

Are they really better than mine?

I'm very sorry if i sound rude or agitated.:wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Assessment task:

Illustrate graphically (sketches, drawings, etc) your spontaneous response to SIX SPACES/PLACES THAT YOU FIND STIMULATING AND INTERESTING. They can be really mundane; we are not looking for drawings of architectural masterpieces. It should be a quick and personal response. Think of a space you really like; it might be your room at home, in your grandparent’s house, your loft, in a tent, your garden, etc. and use your imagination.

You should submit a total of six FLAT A4 size pages (paper only, no metal/glass/wood etc). The responses should include at least four freehand pen or pencil sketches or drawings which are NOT derived/copied from photographs. They must be originals and un-mounted. Add a short written text (200 words in total) to explain the nature of your response and your choice of subject.

Did I get something wrong?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Teuris Kador
Assessment task:

Illustrate graphically (sketches, drawings, etc) your spontaneous response to SIX SPACES/PLACES THAT YOU FIND STIMULATING AND INTERESTING. They can be really mundane; we are not looking for drawings of architectural masterpieces. It should be a quick and personal response. Think of a space you really like; it might be your room at home, in your grandparent’s house, your loft, in a tent, your garden, etc. and use your imagination.

You should submit a total of six FLAT A4 size pages (paper only, no metal/glass/wood etc). The responses should include at least four freehand pen or pencil sketches or drawings which are NOT derived/copied from photographs. They must be originals and un-mounted. Add a short written text (200 words in total) to explain the nature of your response and your choice of subject.

Did I get something wrong?

Yes, you didn't respect the task and that candidate did. The mask is NOT a space/ place, neither are the chairs or the drawer! You may have been the best wherever you went, but that doesn't mean you're the best of all candidates at the Bartlett... sorry!
Reply 7
Yes, you didn't respect the task and that candidate did. The mask is NOT a space/ place, neither are the chairs or the drawer! You may have been the best wherever you went, but that doesn't mean you're the best of all candidates at the Bartlett... sorry!

Please don't get angry,I didn't mean that i'm the best of all candidates at the Bartlett, just is there really something wrong with the technique or perspective?

And if I would made any background behind sculpture/drawer/chairs, it would automatically comply with task?
Like this?
IMG_0004.jpg
Reply 8
Original post by Teuris Kador
Please don't get angry,I didn't mean that i'm the best of all candidates at the Bartlett, just is there really something wrong with the technique or perspective?

And if I would made any background behind sculpture/drawer/chairs, it would automatically comply with task?
Like this?
IMG_0004.jpg

I'm not angry, I'm just guessing that's what they thought. And I don't know, but the way you did it, that's no place/space, just an object.
Reply 9
I'm not angry, I'm just guessing that's what they thought. And I don't know, but the way you did it, that's no place/space, just an object.

Thank you for the info, now it makes perfect sense why they rejected me. They have 10000 of great drawing applicants, why they should invite me if i didn;t even comply with simple task.

Now I will be waiting for the third year in a row, this is the price I should pay for my arrogance.:biggrin:

BTW, are you studying in the Bartlett?
Reply 10
I'm glad you understood!
No, I've applied to the Bartlett and went to the interview on Monday, now I'm waiting for the answer. :smile:
Reply 11
Good luck on the interview!:wink:
Did you take a gap year?
Reply 12
No, I didn't.
You are quite unlucky sir, despite your good skills in drawing and sketching, tutors look for students who follow and read instructions carefully. They can easily reject one student out of 1800 who don't follow the rules. However, it's good that you are trying to break through, or have your own interpretation, but you are just one step too early to do that! Best of luck though, Bartlett is tough.

-Student at the Bartlett :wink:
Hi, I want to apply to Bartlett this autumn and I could really use talking to someone who is already studying there. It would be great if you'd answer. Thanx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
i think your drawings are amazing, but you def didn't respect the task. also, are grades and the rest of the ucas application important or taken into consideration at all when being called for an interview, or is it solely based on the bartlett task? asking because i don't know, and i am also waiting for an interview from ucl. i already got into the AA school of architecture so i probably wouldn't go to UCL anyways - but being an international student interviews are always a good excuse to have a trip to london :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending