The Student Room Group

Fundraising Ideas!

Hey!

I've been accepted onto a summer programme in India with Raleigh through ICS and need to raise £800.

I was just wondering if people could share there fundraising experiences and give any tips or advice?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Bag packing at morrisons and asda- get a group of 5-10 people ready to help you out. You can raise the 800 in 2 days if you can pull it off. Always smile and be really nice. You'll be surprised how generous people are. Just write to them as soon as possible giving a lil background abt your self, the organization u're going to be volunteering with and the amount you need to raise etc... Best of luck! I'm off to Tanzania in 1 week and I did pretty much the same thing. Good luck!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by pizzle223
Hey!

I've been accepted onto a summer programme in India with Raleigh through ICS and need to raise £800.

I was just wondering if people could share there fundraising experiences and give any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Do the Yorkshire Three Peaks, or a different sponsored, well-known walk and ask a lot of people for sponsorship; I raised just over £800 doing this two years ago.
Reply 3
Original post by \/ibhav
Do the Yorkshire Three Peaks, or a different sponsored, well-known walk and ask a lot of people for sponsorship; I raised just over £800 doing this two years ago.

Who were the people who sponsored you? Was it all like friends and family or did you manage to get strangers/businesses to sponsor you?
Reply 4
Original post by shahab2000
Bag packing at morrisons and asda- get a group of 5-10 people ready to help you out. You can raise the 800 in 2 days if you can pull it off. Always smile and be really nice. You'll be surprised how generous people are. Just write to them as soon as possible giving a lil background abt your self, the organization u're going to be volunteering with and the amount you need to raise etc... Best of luck! I'm off to Tanzania in 1 week and I did pretty much the same thing. Good luck!!! :smile:

Ahh nice! I hope you have a great time. Just out of interest how many hours did you put into it?

Getting people to help out if the big challenge. I'm in my 1st year of uni and I've made friends, just not ones that'd help out with something like that.. as most people wouldn't.
Reply 5
Who were the people who sponsored you? Was it all like friends and family or did you manage to get strangers/businesses to sponsor you?

Family and friends, as well as people who live on my street; I got about £5 each from households on my street who decided to sponsor me (success rate was about 72%) and I got larger amounts from family and family friends. Don't ask strangers who aren't local though; they are unlikely to sponsor you (especially for something like this, rather than a charity donation). Also make sure you prepare a pitch of some sort (I kind of improvised at first and then I adapted it and it became more and more routine) and also take some evidence of your expedition. Finally, make sure your sponsorship form looks formal. I think that's about everything, if you have any more questions, just quote me.
Reply 6
Original post by \/ibhav
Family and friends, as well as people who live on my street; I got about £5 each from households on my street who decided to sponsor me (success rate was about 72%) and I got larger amounts from family and family friends. Don't ask strangers who aren't local though; they are unlikely to sponsor you (especially for something like this, rather than a charity donation). Also make sure you prepare a pitch of some sort (I kind of improvised at first and then I adapted it and it became more and more routine) and also take some evidence of your expedition. Finally, make sure your sponsorship form looks formal. I think that's about everything, if you have any more questions, just quote me.

Did you know the people on the street very well?

See the thing is I don't know a huge amount of people at Uni so most people don't care enough to sponsor me, and they're all poor students! lol

Any event ideas I have seem almost impossible to actually make any money.
Reply 7
Did you know the people on the street very well?

See the thing is I don't know a huge amount of people at Uni so most people don't care enough to sponsor me, and they're all poor students! lol

Any event ideas I have seem almost impossible to actually make any money.

No i didn't know most of the people on my street, but I guess it helped that they were well-off adults, in oppose to students. I'd say try this though. Even if you only raise £300 or so, for the effort it takes to do a walk like the three peaks, it's worth it; especially considering that it can be quite enjoyable.
Reply 8
Original post by Clarky-x
I am climbing Kilimanjaro in June and for my fundraising the most successful money raising activities have proven to be pub crawl bucket collection and I would absolutely recommend you consider doing one for your fundraising! They're surprising quite a lot of fun, and the money making potential can be huge. The first time I did one was with 2 others who are also climbing and we made £840 altogether, so £280 each and I've done more since then raising similar amounts. This was visiting a range of pubs from student bars to "old-man pubs" to some more "posh" ones too. Obviously a city/big town is preferable in terms of volume, more people means more donations. But in some smaller towns you might have less people but the single donations might be bigger.

Get a list of pubs and phone numbers and call round a few days in advance to ask permission to enter the premises to do a charity collection, and take down the person's name who you spoke to and/or the name of the manager. Get a friend or two to help you and make sure you've got some buckets and a t-shirt or something so you're easily recognizable!

Thanks for the info!
So when you say pub crawl, was that you and your friends just entering a number of premises and asking for donations?
Hey!

Thanks!

How about doing carboots or craft fairs. My friend does a lot of fundraising for charity (and i help her out quite a bit) and she does carboots and craft fairs a lot. She has raised quite a bit from doing it.
Or like someone else said, you could do bag packing at your local supermarket, with 5-10 other people.
Reply 10
I had to raise £2,700 for a trip to Swaziland, and one of the main ways I did this was with car boot sales as is recommended above :smile: On Saturdays I would distribute leaflets on 2 or 3 streets in my local village asking for any old books, toys, furniture etc., and say that next Saturday I would be collecting. Got a surprising amount of stuff! I also did a week long sponsored silence, and that prompted a lot of people at School to sponsor me when they realised what I was doing :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by fwook
I had to raise £2,700 for a trip to Swaziland, and one of the main ways I did this was with car boot sales as is recommended above :smile: On Saturdays I would distribute leaflets on 2 or 3 streets in my local village asking for any old books, toys, furniture etc., and say that next Saturday I would be collecting. Got a surprising amount of stuff! I also did a week long sponsored silence, and that prompted a lot of people at School to sponsor me when they realised what I was doing :smile:

Ahh nice.

I kind of have some trouble with things like that though as I don't have a car.. :/

Also it kinda of suck as my friends aren't exactly the 'giving' type. They couldn't care less if I was silent.
Reply 12
Ahh nice.

I kind of have some trouble with things like that though as I don't have a car.. :/

Also it kinda of suck as my friends aren't exactly the 'giving' type. They couldn't care less if I was silent.

I had to get my dad to help out, but he was sorta happy to seeing as it was that or him paying :P aw that sucks, fair enough. It may've been easier as when I did it I was at a school, and so the people i were asking weren't on a budget so much :/ Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Have you considered getting a part time job maybe?
Reply 13
Original post by fwook
I had to get my dad to help out, but he was sorta happy to seeing as it was that or him paying :P aw that sucks, fair enough. It may've been easier as when I did it I was at a school, and so the people i were asking weren't on a budget so much :/ Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Have you considered getting a part time job maybe?

Don't apologies! I'm grateful for any ideas you've got.

I can earn the money with a part-time job quite comfortably but there is a strong emphasis on raising awareness of the programme through fundraising.

I've got a few idea anyway I'm just waiting 'til I've got some money to put them into action. Plus I need a haircut and don't want to approach business etc. looking this shabby.. lol.

Once I'm back I should be able to get more help from my family anyway.

Thanks a bundle..
Reply 14
How did you get on with your fundraising then? Hope you met your target and are looking forward to your trip! :smile:

I'm not quite there yet but almost!

Ahh I'm looking forward to it all soo much, I really can't wait!

Do you have anything planned for the summer?
Reply 15
That's great that you're nearly there! Have you got any work or business contacts that might sponsor you towards your final bit of fundraising?

I've hit my target now so just looking forward to going out to Tanzania in the summer now, climbing Kili and visiting a school which is funded by the charity... then coming home to graduate, eek!

When do you head off to India? Do you know what kind of projects/work you'll be involved with? I know two people who've recently finished projects with ICS, one in Kenya and one in Nicaragua, sounds like a brilliant experience!

I'm busy these days so I'm gonna finish it off after next week. I'll be back home and working where I can talk to customers in the pub I work at.. I'm hoping to get that, if not I'm going door-to-door. I don't have it in me to organise any more events.. maybe a pub quiz.. lol.

My events never really raised a lot of money though if I'm honest. I mean added together they did but as single events people wasn't to generous.

24th of June I'm off! A large part of it is water sanitation projects but it could be a number of things, working in schools, building in other communities. I don't find out till I'm there, which is exciting.

So you're not an ICS project are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending