The Student Room Group

Head Girl Application First Draft

Dear –––,

I am writing to you to be considered for the position of Head Girl at ––––. In this letter I will outline the reasons that I believe make me a suitably qualified candidate for the role, and the contributions that I have made to grow the school's community.

As an ambitious and passionate individual, I wanted to explore subjects that matched all my interests; it’s due to this that the subjects I study are from the four different sides of academia– STEM, humanities, the arts, and social sciences. This broad academic background has allowed me access to individuals from a diverse background across the school community, providing perfect possibilities to connect with the elements individuals are dedicated towards. By taking Drama, I have had opportunities to connect with children in the school who are also committed towards creative arts. In March, I attended the Year 7 to 9 auditions for the first school musical since COVID-19: Matilda. This was a fantastic experience, where I was able to coach the younger children through their audition experience and help them build upon their confidence and public speaking skills, and hopefully igniting a passion for the theatre that will last for many years. Due to this, many students who would’ve otherwise backed out of the audition gave it their best, with most landing solos, leads, and other roles they desired. Similarly, later in the year I was present in the GCSE Year 11 externally assessed performances. I worked with other 6th Formers to prepare a room in which the external examiner would mark the performances, giving a good impression of the standards at –––. As a representative of my efforts in growing the arts in the school community, I believe this would make me suitable for the role of Head Girl.

As a biology student, I have additionally had experience in meeting primary school children who’ve visited the school’s science department. I assisted with directing children to the correct labs, ensuring practical procedures were carried out correctly– and most importantly, safely– and being a representative of the school to visitors. During one of these visits, I saw a primary school girl I was familiar with from outside of school due to my work part-time as a tutor. I work for the company ––––, which champions building the confidence of children in the ––– community ages 5-14 in their maths and English skills. Not only has this allowed me to increase other children’s courage, but upon self-reflection, being a role-model for them has increased my self-assurance, and I can recognise a change and growth in my character since September to the present.

During form and lunch times I’ve participated in and hosted multiple activities in the library. Every Thursday during form, I’ve been doing peer reading. Paired with a Year 8 student, we’ve most recently been reading The Hunger Games. As the students selected for the peer reading programme struggle with English and reading, I was helping them in their pronunciation and understanding of different words that they may have never come across before. An obstacle I encountered was the students' self-esteem and self-image regarding reading; with insecurities about their pronunciation and pace of speech. To resolve this issue, I established an environment free of judgement whenever possible, and enthusiastically offered definitions to words that either I identified as something they might not know of, or words that they requested definitions of. Alongside this I was a Library Helper on Tuesday lunchtimes, where I’d process and take out books on behalf of students, as well as being a friendly face for them to see weekly. This progressed into forming and hosting a lunchtime book club for the year 7’s in the summer term, where we read and discussed a book from the Percy Jackson series.

Most significantly, since the Autumn term I have been working with ––– and other Year 12’s to help host ––– first ever Culture & Diversity Day. My responsibilities have ranged from attending meetings and offering ideas, to helping fundraise for the workshops on the day, and to participating in assemblies for Year 7-10. This experience has brought out parts of me that I hope to bring to the Head Girl role, like communication, creativity, planning, and management, and skills that I believe will be useful, such as the importance of respect, inclusion, and professionality. Most importantly, I will bring the belief that any idea can be pulled off, as long as there is a drive and ambition to see it happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending