The Student Room Group

Maths SL or Studies?

I am a first year IB student currently taking Maths SL and really struggling with it. I'm interested in studying psychology in Australia and am wondering will it benefit me to stay in Maths SL and (hopefully) just get a passing grade, or to change into Studies and get a higher grade?
Hello,

I would recommend checking this out with some of the universities you have in mind in Australia. Start with http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au to find out what is available and where. You can then look at the universities you are interested in and check their IB requirements.

If you take a look at the University of Melbourne (one of the most highly rated universities in Australia and the world), they offer Psychology as a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts. Both require a score of 31 and include this disclaimer: 'Except where specified, IB subjects must be passed to at least Grade 4 Standard or Higher Level. Mathematical Studies is not deemed equivalent to VCE Mathematical Methods' (the local maths requirement). This suggests that you might face problems (at this university, at least) whether you go for a Grade 3 or select Mathematical Studies. For more details, take a look http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/undergrad/1510-bachelor-of-science

On the other hand, entry to RMIT's Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) requires a minimum score of 27, with no mention of specific maths requirements.

Since Psychology courses often require proficiency in statistics, you should also look closely at the course content to work out whether the courses you like the look of also match your strengths. Course content varies from university to university, so find a course that suits you. One benefit of studying in Australia is more flexibility in your course choice. If it came to the worst and you were struggling with the maths on your degree, you could always change your major (main degree subject). Hopefully, if you do a bit of research before you apply, that won't be an issue for you.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies.

Cerys Evans, Careers Adviser
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I'm currently having a look at the links you posted and will be sure to do my research! The thing I'm wondering is whether it would benefit me to take studies, because Maths SL does not cover statistics as in depth as studies (in my school at least), so it's difficult to be sure which is the best option. But as I mentioned, i'll check out these links and try to decide soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending