The Student Room Group

ib math ai or aa

im not very strong in math, infact that is my weakest subject. when i took the igcse i only took emath, as i quit amath entering the second year because i could not grasp the material AT ALL. i want to major in biotech but i saw that the unis i want to get into mostly do not accept ib math ai sl, and only accepts aa sl/hl and ai hl. which do you think i should choose? ai hl or aa sl? which is easier? i am more of a practical type of person and have burned when i tried touching pure maths and such (basically those that kinda solve non existential problems, correct me if im wrong (sorry if i offend anybody))
Hello,
Hope you are well.

For context, I have completed year 12 IBDP and for mental health reasons am switching to A-levels in September, starting from year 12 again. I just wanted to say this so that you know I can't talk for year 13's or even others who are studying the IBDP in year 12, as their experience is different.

Now, Maths: Applications & Interpretations is what I took standard level at the beginning of the year, but I originally wanted to do computer science and needed it higher level, so after the first 2 weeks to which I was doing good in sl the school agreed to move me to hl (my grade from GCSE was 6, I needed 8 for the hl course at the school hence why i was in sl class at first) and also was suffering hl english lit, so they agreed to swap the two. Now AI maths is more real world than AA maths, which basically studies what we do plus extra theory. Aside from this this, we have studied finance topics like loans & annuities whereas AA hasn't as they were doing something more theoretical but i think that is the only time they haven't studied what we did.

Either way, neither are easy. My friend switched from AA hl to AI hl as they couldn't grasp the theory, and another switched from AI to AA as they couldn't do the amount of graphs we had. (Our teacher used graphs to display everything, which was her weakness). I would say do AI hl as the only university I know not to accept it for one specific course was Cambridge, however it is up to you to decide. Trial one out and swap it if you want later on.

Let me know if you have any questions and hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by please help me x
Hello,
Hope you are well.

For context, I have completed year 12 IBDP and for mental health reasons am switching to A-levels in September, starting from year 12 again. I just wanted to say this so that you know I can't talk for year 13's or even others who are studying the IBDP in year 12, as their experience is different.

Now, Maths: Applications & Interpretations is what I took standard level at the beginning of the year, but I originally wanted to do computer science and needed it higher level, so after the first 2 weeks to which I was doing good in sl the school agreed to move me to hl (my grade from GCSE was 6, I needed 8 for the hl course at the school hence why i was in sl class at first) and also was suffering hl english lit, so they agreed to swap the two. Now AI maths is more real world than AA maths, which basically studies what we do plus extra theory. Aside from this this, we have studied finance topics like loans & annuities whereas AA hasn't as they were doing something more theoretical but i think that is the only time they haven't studied what we did.

Either way, neither are easy. My friend switched from AA hl to AI hl as they couldn't grasp the theory, and another switched from AI to AA as they couldn't do the amount of graphs we had. (Our teacher used graphs to display everything, which was her weakness). I would say do AI hl as the only university I know not to accept it for one specific course was Cambridge, however it is up to you to decide. Trial one out and swap it if you want later on.

Let me know if you have any questions and hope this helps:smile:

thank you!! this is great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending