The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE as an IB Student

Hi! I am currently in Junior Year of high school (IBDP Year 1) and I am hoping to go to Oxford to study PPE in 2023 (applying a year from now)!

Does doing the IB instead of A-Levels put me at a disadvantage in any way?
Original post by ayeshamalik29
Hi! I am currently in Junior Year of high school (IBDP Year 1) and I am hoping to go to Oxford to study PPE in 2023 (applying a year from now)!

Does doing the IB instead of A-Levels put me at a disadvantage in any way?

Exciting! :biggrin:
As for the application process, I don’t think it’s a disadvantage in any way, and they’re viewed pretty equally. I know a few people who got into Oxford PPE with IB, instead of A-Levels.
However you should make sure to choose HL subjects that relate to the course, or ones similar to the recommended A-Level subjects. As well as aiming for high overall points, since it is a competitive course!
One tip I hear a lot is to focus on further independent reading! Since IB covers a wide range of topics, it’s important to have further reading in the intended course for your Personal Statement, and interviews.
Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
These are my subjects:

English Language & Literature HL
Economics HL
History HL
Math Applications & Interpretations SL
Chemistry SL
Spanish B SL

For further reading (especially in Philosophy as I don't know much about it) any suggestions?
These are my subjects:

Economics HL
History HL
Chemistry SL
Spanish B SL

For further reading (especially in Philosophy as I don't know much about it) any suggestions?

The subjects look good! History is listed as helpful, and Math is recommended. I think Economics could be really good too!
As for further reading, the Oxford website gives helpful materials to start with!
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/suggested-subject-resources (Scroll down to PPE :smile: )
Original post by HerNameWasLola
The subjects look good! History is listed as helpful, and Math is recommended. I think Economics could be really good too!
As for further reading, the Oxford website gives helpful materials to start with!
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/suggested-subject-resources (Scroll down to PPE :smile: )

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 5
These are my subjects:

Economics HL
History HL
Chemistry SL
Spanish B SL

Hey I have the same Ib courses as you. I know i am late to the conversation but Ayesha were you able to get in?
Thank you!! :smile:

So how did applications go? Where did you decide to study at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending