The Student Room Group

Internally cracked laptop screen: How much will it cost to fix?

Hi, basically I dropped my laptop and then it's been cracked internally and the screen is all funky and no good whatsoever, so I took it into a repair shop today and he told me it would be £118 which I thought wasn't too bad. However, they text me later on today to tell me they needed to order parts for it, and I am really seriously worried it is going to come to like £300-500. considering it was a £600 laptop it wouldn't be worth it. I haven't told my parents because I know my dad would have an absolute fit at me for being so careless, but there is no way I can afford to spend that kind of money and I am freaking out!!! Someone put my mind at ease! I can just see me having to make that phone call asking my parents for money and I honestly think my dad would go absolutely ballistic, I'm not even sure if he would offer to help me pay to be honest... I can't think about anything else at the minute
Reply 1
Should be about £100 depending on the laptop what company and model number ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I repair these. Probably upwards of £50 for the screen and £30 for the 10 minutes it takes the repair guy to change it.

My advice - buy the same model laptop secondhand/new on eBay. Swap out the hard drive if you know how, or otherwise transfer the data, then start using the laptop you have just bought. Sell the other one on eBay to offset your loss.

It will be far cheaper than buying a screen and having someone fit it for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
It just depends on how bad the damage is, I know people have ended up having to fork out as much as a laptop costs
Original post by iJess
It just depends on how bad the damage is, I know people have ended up having to fork out as much as a laptop costs

This is what I was afraid of! The damage must be worse than he had first thought, as he told me it would be fixed today and now he's had to order parts...

I'm not even sure if he'll tell me how much it is going to cost over the phone, what a mess!
Reply 5
Original post by hermitthefrog
This is what I was afraid of! The damage must be worse than he had first thought, as he told me it would be fixed today and now he's had to order parts...

I'm not even sure if he'll tell me how much it is going to cost over the phone, what a mess!

Yeah thats **** :/ Have you thought about getting it insured? My laptop is insured through my mums bank even for accidental damage on home contents/electricals insurance for £6 a month
Original post by iJess
Yeah thats **** :/ Have you thought about getting it insured? My laptop is insured through my mums bank even for accidental damage on home contents/electricals insurance for £6 a month

Wow really, that's a really good deal, will definitely look into this! I remember them offering me insurance when I bought it, but my uncle was paying, and I felt too bad asking him to pay for insurance too... I guess I'll just have to fork it out!
Reply 7
Original post by hermitthefrog
Wow really, that's a really good deal, will definitely look into this! I remember them offering me insurance when I bought it, but my uncle was paying, and I felt too bad asking him to pay for insurance too... I guess I'll just have to fork it out!

Currys/PC World?

They have 'whatever happens' policies where they say they will insure it for repair whatever happens.

Not applicable in your situation, I know, but in the laptop repair business it makes sense - I very much doubt they will cover obviously deliberate attempts to get a new laptop, other companies I worked for with the same sort of accidental damage deal where we would do the 'coke-poured-over-keyboard' and we would repair the 'smashed screen' jobs, but if one came in with both, that was so obviously a deliberate fraud, we used to decline the repair.

I'd imagine it's easy to deliberately damage a laptop so that it looks like accidental though, stand on the screen and drop it down some concrete steps a few times.

Although I did physically repair a laptop that was so badly damaged it actually folded in half, and the only thing that was salvageable from it was the DVD-RW drive. Couldn't even junk it and give him a shop stock new laptop, I had to build a new laptop around his DVD-RW drive, and looking at the costs of the parts on the computer ended up being over double the original cost of the laptop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
My son dropped his brand new lenovo yoga laptop he got for christmas, it powers up but the screen does'nt come on and theres no cracks, chips or visible damage to the screen or anywhere else. Anyone have any advice on what the problem might be, repair costs etc , i'd rather have a bit of a clue before i take it somewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had knelt on the screen of my laptop and the screen has got black, white and rainbow coloured lines all the way through it. How much would you think it would cost to repair it? The model is an Acer 11"
For every laptop brand in the market, there exists a different screen price. Now as far as the costs of a broken laptop screen is concerned, it totally depends upon how you are going to repair it. Whether by hiring a professional or doing it all by yourself. I would suggest you to pick up a local computer repair shop unless you know perfectly well how to fix it at home. But still if you choose to DIY, there are plenty of videos available on YouTube guiding you to fix your laptop’s screen in just $80-100. That obviously eliminates the labor costs, so that’s economical.
Original post by ismailblogger
For every laptop brand in the market, there exists a different screen price. Now as far as the costs of a broken laptop screen is concerned, it totally depends upon how you are going to repair it. Whether by hiring a professional or doing it all by yourself. I would suggest you to pick up a local computer repair shop unless you know perfectly well how to fix it at home. But still if you choose to DIY, there are plenty of videos available on YouTube guiding you to fix your laptop’s screen in just $80-100. That obviously eliminates the labor costs, so that’s economical.

This was five years ago dude .
Original post by heywhatsup
Should be about £100 depending on the laptop what company and model number ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

geo
how much would it cost to fix
Original post by akira0078
geo
how much would it cost to fix

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending