The Student Room Group

Step (which paper)or aea

I'm doing Edexcel Alevel Maths and Further Maths..I have chosen all the statistic modules. Which one is easier and which stands out? AEA or STEP? I see STEP has many papers..advice?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by theseeker
I'm doing Edexcel Alevel Maths and Further Maths..I have chosen all the statistic modules. Which one is easier and which stands out? AEA or STEP? I see STEP has many papers..advice?

Thanks

STEP is I believe considered more challenging. AEA though interesting is not, i believe often considered in applications to top unis like Warwick or Cambridge
Reply 2
STEP is harder and contains further maths modules, AEA contains only A level maths. AEA is easier but it depends what uni you go to as to which one you do as it depends on your conditional offer, STEP has 3 papers which get progressively harder.
Reply 3
Original post by Albino
STEP is harder and contains further maths modules, AEA contains only A level maths. AEA is easier but it depends what uni you go to as to which one you do as it depends on your conditional offer, STEP has 3 papers which get progressively harder.

Original post by joostan
STEP is I believe considered more challenging. AEA though interesting is not, i believe often considered in applications to top unis like Warwick or Cambridge

If my uni doesn't ask for it, do you think I should do it? They ask for A*AA and that's it :smile: Or AAA with merit in AEA (I think )
Reply 4
Original post by theseeker
If my uni doesn't ask for it, do you think I should do it? They ask for A*AA and that's it :smile: Or AAA with merit in AEA (I think )

If you think you can maintain pretty decent grades while doing the AEA then i'd go for it, obviously you might have to put a little extra work in by learning little bits. It's also very helpful for bridging the gap to university maths in a way. I wouldn't do STEP if it isn't required unless you are very confident that you can uphold you're other grades.
Reply 5
AEA is piss, it's just more algebra. Work on STEP I and II. Don't throw out STEP II either as many people, including me, actually find it easier (give or take). STEP III requires further maths knowledge, but some questions don't require much knowledge of the fp specification (curve sketching).
Reply 6
Original post by Albino
If you think you can maintain pretty decent grades while doing the AEA then i'd go for it, obviously you might have to put a little extra work in by learning little bits. It's also very helpful for bridging the gap to university maths in a way. I wouldn't do STEP if it isn't required unless you are very confident that you can uphold you're other grades.

How do I practice for AEA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending