The Student Room Group

Western MFE vs Warwick MSc Economics and International Financial Economics

Hi there I am new to the site and is seeking some help. I am accepted into both Western MFE and Warwick MSc Economics and International Financial Economics and is having a difficult time deciding between the two.

I am Canadian and ultimately want to work in a finance related job. I'm leaning towards Warwick cuz it seems like they have a pretty good econ department that is high ranked. So my concerns are

1) How good is warwick university in UK, in terms of reputation and prestige. Whether going there will land me a good job in London.

2) I'm afraid that if I do decide to attend Warwick and decide not to work in uk, employers in Canadian won't really recognize the university, at least not as much as they would recognize Western.

Western's econ department is good also good, and the MFE program has coop so I really don't know which one right for me. Any help or suggestion is appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by EconGent
Hi there I am new to the site and is seeking some help. I am accepted into both Western MFE and Warwick MSc Economics and International Financial Economics and is having a difficult time deciding between the two.

I am Canadian and ultimately want to work in a finance related job. I'm leaning towards Warwick cuz it seems like they have a pretty good econ department that is high ranked. So my concerns are

1) How good is warwick university in UK, in terms of reputation and prestige. Whether going there will land me a good job in London.

2) I'm afraid that if I do decide to attend Warwick and decide not to work in uk, employers in Canadian won't really recognize the university, at least not as much as they would recognize Western.

Western's econ department is good also good, and the MFE program has coop so I really don't know which one right for me. Any help or suggestion is appreciated!

The job situation is not good in UK, and understandably will be worse for foreign nationals. Warwick is a very good University, no doubt, but I would suggest you pick one which will be good for your job prospects in Canada or in the US.
Reply 2

Warwick is a good uni and just yesterday i was reading online that they are applying for a college status at Oxford :smile:.I'd recommend that you goto western simply because it is more recognised in Canada and the job market for business related subjects is very competitive in England
Reply 3
Original post by bahjat93
Warwick is a good uni and just yesterday i was reading online that they are applying for a college status at Oxford :smile:.I'd recommend that you goto western simply because it is more recognised in Canada and the job market for business related subjects is very competitive in England

Thanks for your input. But to be honest the job market for business related subjects is also very competitive in Canada as well. In terms of warwick's econ reputation in uk, where would you rank it amongst Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and others? is it really as good as those rankings have it?
Reply 4
Thanks for your input. But to be honest the job market for business related subjects is also very competitive in Canada as well. In terms of warwick's econ reputation in uk, where would you rank it amongst Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and others? is it really as good as those rankings have it?

From the people who i know go to Warwick, they were all rejected from Oxbridge. Also i believe that Warwick University has a paper which is actually called Oxbridge rejects loool :biggrin:. The people who go to Warwick are not stupid, they were just a tad not good enough to go to Oxbridge :smile:.
I would rank Warwick below Oxbridge, LSE and UCL.
It's a good Uni mate, but if you can get into any of the others take it!
Going to Warwick isn't the end of the world :smile:
Reply 5
I can't believe you got into Warwick. I heard Warwick is super competitive for entry but what I have seen here is thousands of people in this forum boasting themselves that they could into Warwick and this doesn't make sense at all. There must be a lot of people who want to discourage others by pretending to be genius.
Reply 6
Original post by Sammy2534
I can't believe you got into Warwick. I heard Warwick is super competitive for entry but what I have seen here is thousands of people in this forum boasting themselves that they could into Warwick and this doesn't make sense at all. There must be a lot of people who want to discourage others by pretending to be genius.

The reality is Warwick isn't as competitive as the top few universities and yet still charges the same fees for most courses, hence there are more people with offers. It is a very good university, but not the top tier. No need to start making up nonsense like "people are pretending to be genius' to discourage others'", you don't need to be a genius to obtain an offer evidently.
1. The University of Warwick is not in Warwick but is in Coventry, one of England's least prepossessing cities. In order to get to pretty if boring Warwick you should have to drive through open countryside either side of Kidderminster, the town sat between the two.

2. If you go there to do a Masters in Finance then it is hardly an exaggeration to say that you might be the only non-Chinese on the course. That's only a cash-cow degree for the university such that they might as well only quote the price in RMB.

In short, you should have to be out of your mind to pay 21 grand to do specifically that degree at that institution. The British kids don't: they do a degree in statistics or applicable mathematics, choose all the finance options, and emerge with a degree implying the same skill-set for a third of the price.
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
1. The University of Warwick is not in Warwick but is in Coventry, one of England's least prepossessing cities. In order to get to pretty if boring Warwick you should have to drive through open countryside either side of Kidderminster, the town sat between the two.

2. If you go there to do a Masters in Finance then it is hardly an exaggeration to say that you might be the only non-Chinese on the course. That's only a cash-cow degree for the university such that they might as well only quote the price in RMB.

In short, you should have to be out of your mind to pay 21 grand to do specifically that degree at that institution. The British kids don't: they do a degree in statistics or applicable mathematics, choose all the finance options, and emerge with a degree implying the same skill-set for a third of the price.

I think point 2 is the one with the most substance here. They take those willing to pay who also have a decent academic background, and as a result the course is between 75-90% chinese alone I believe. LSE/Imperial on the other hand seem to be EU dominated from what I have seen.

On a side note, Warwick does have stricter requirements grade-wise than Imperial Finance.
Reply 9
So based on the preceding analysis by people who posted in the thread, is it worth undertaking the msc Finance and Economics at warwick bussiness school even if i get offered half the tuition fees (thus paying 16.5k pounds)?
I am european btw (greek to be exact), so will i be the minority if i do actually enroll in a wbs course?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending