The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Oh and also with regards to TARDIS not translating, I think that ties into the whole "it doesn't like her thing"
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oh and also with regards to TARDIS not translating, I think that ties into the whole "it doesn't like her thing"

Could well be right. Although the Doctor should have noticed - in the past when they've encountered untranslatable languages (Satan Pit, writing on the crib at Demons Run, Donna speaking Latin/Celtic in Pompeii) it's been pointed out... :beard:
Original post by Feefifofum
Could well be right. Although the Doctor should have noticed - in the past when they've encountered untranslatable languages (Satan Pit, writing on the crib at Demons Run, Donna speaking Latin/Celtic in Pompeii) it's been pointed out... :beard:

Yeah, but maybe he's just too excited. And it could have been a while since he's had a companion and just kind of forgotten?
I've just watched it and I don't think I liked it. Too much Songs of Praise and not enough actual Doctor Who. I mean, how was the leaf more of a 'meal' for the sun god thing than the Doctor's memories? I got the thing about infinite possibilities of things that could have been, but.. If you think about how many things the Doctor has done and how many places he's been... The possibilities of things-that-could-have-been must be quite literally endless! How was this not powerful enough but Clara's leaf was?

Unless her mother was not supposed to die...
Original post by snowyowl
I've just watched it and I don't think I liked it. Too much Songs of Praise and not enough actual Doctor Who. I mean, how was the leaf more of a 'meal' for the sun god thing than the Doctor's memories? I got the thing about infinite possibilities of things that could have been, but.. If you think about how many things the Doctor has done and how many places he's been... The possibilities of things-that-could-have-been must be quite literally endless! How was this not powerful enough but Clara's leaf was?

Unless her mother was not supposed to die...

I think the thing is though we're still not quite sure how Clara came about, she's a a bit of a mystery so maybe it's something to do with that!
Reply 385
That was alright. Average, but it didn't annoy me or anything. For an episode that had loads of different alien races, a ritual, a flashback detailing Clara's parent's relationship, a star exploding and hovercraft scenes, there didn't seem to be that much in it.
No spoilers:
Reply 387
I'm sure most of you on here know this anyway, but I'm pretty sure of the reason why "16" is missed out of Clara's book "101 Places to See". Her mum died in 2005, so 8 years ago. If Clara's meant to be 24 at the moment, then she was 16 when her mum died. I'm just presuming that when her mum died she was too distraught by her death that she didn't look at the book. Anyway, that's what I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see that this episode hasn't received the highest praise. I've got to say, I didn't particularly enjoy it and I've absolutely loved the Moffat/Smith era with the arc heavy style.

The early part with the whole Clara business was great, the space market stuff was cool but then once they hoped on the space bike it just all fell apart. Matt Smith was fantastic as always and Jenna Louise Coleman is impressing me but the plot was poor.

Next week's episode looks terrific though.
Original post by DotComBoom
I see that this episode hasn't received the highest praise. I've got to say, I didn't particularly enjoy it and I've absolutely loved the Moffat/Smith era with the arc heavy style.

The early part with the whole Clara business was great, the space market stuff was cool but then once they hoped on the space bike it just all fell apart. Matt Smith was fantastic as always and Jenna Louise Coleman is impressing me but the plot was poor.

Next week's episode looks terrific though.

Yeah I agree with this, after the space bike the story line deteriorated. Also loving Smith/Coleman together I think it's working really well so that's good, I just wish the story line had been a bit better.
Original post by chernid
I'm sure most of you on here know this anyway, but I'm pretty sure of the reason why "23" is missed out of Clara's book "101 Places to See". Her mum died in 2005, so 8 years ago. If Clara's meant to be 24 at the moment, then she was 16 when her mum died. I'm just presuming that when her mum died she was too distraught by her death that she didn't look at the book. Anyway, that's what I think.

But that doesn't explain why 23 is missing, only 16?
Reply 391
Original post by chernid
I'm sure most of you on here know this anyway, but I'm pretty sure of the reason why "23" is missed out of Clara's book "101 Places to See". Her mum died in 2005, so 8 years ago. If Clara's meant to be 24 at the moment, then she was 16 when her mum died. I'm just presuming that when her mum died she was too distraught by her death that she didn't look at the book. Anyway, that's what I think.

I've read this ten times and still don't know what you're saying.
Reply 392
Original post by Colonel.
I've read this ten times and still don't know what you're saying.

Sorry, I made an idiot mistake. I meant to say 16 instead of 23, and I know it was an obvious point anyway
Original post by Kalliope
I am getting so sick of Moffat and Matt. Really didn't click with this episode- again! I do love Jenna though.

I didn't love Mary Galell (is that spelt right?) - I adore little children but this one just irritated me and so the whole point of the story didn't grab me. The Doctor giving up his memories and emotions terrified me and I still don't quite get how he got them back again...? Plus why on earth would a leaf (even such an awesome leaf) beat the Doctor's life and all the myriad possibilities inherent there - not saving worlds, not meeting companions, not winning battles etc etc. I also thought the fact that Clara adapted so fast to the alien world and was then randomly abandoned by the Doctor was a little unbelievable - thinking back to the first travelling Rose/ Donna episodes where he showed the companion around.

I've been re-watching episodes from the Tennant and RTD era and I really miss that heart-felt, straight-forward (not simple, just actually sensible) rich storytelling.

This is EXACTLY what I thought as soon as she brought out that leaf. I have no idea how this ending was thought to be a good idea... It seems the writer fell in love with his cutesy leaf idea and in focusing on that he forgot about a little thing called logical coherence.
**** episode, but fascinating to see her background. Why is the Doctor being pervy though?
Original post by Watch Key Phone
She took the leaf out of her book. The same book where the Doctor found the leaf in the last episode. I don't think this one is really excusable to be honest. :tongue:

I know that, but I'm willing to be open minded about it.
Reply 396
I noticed that Clara's mother dies in March 2005, March 2005 is when the Doctor returned.
Original post by Rakas21
I noticed that Clara's mother dies in March 2005, March 2005 is when the Doctor returned.

nice spot :yy:

I thought the 2nd episode was pretty good, some elements weren't new I guess but I tend to expect that with the BBC :tongue: the stuff with Clara is developing pretty interestingly thus far though!
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by SciFiRory
nice spot :yy:

I thought the 2nd episode was pretty good, some elements weren't new I guess but I tend to expect that with the BBC :tongue: the stuff with Clara is developing pretty interestingly thus far though!

Good point. She didn't seem that upset, which is odd...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Original post by Rakas21

What happened in 2005? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest