The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feefifofum
Actually I think the whole 'young male Doctor and young attractive female companion who falls in love with him' thing has been done to death.

My hope for the companion role would be having two or more separate companions (not a couple like amy and rory), at least one of whom isn't human.

I completely agree with this. I was really hoping that when the Ponds left, the new companion would change things up a bit. But hopefully the new Doctor will change the format instead.
Original post by HK786
WHY DOES HE HAVE TO LEAVE?!?!?!?!?! He was on part with David Tennant if not better. I just hope they don't give the role to a black actor just to satisfy those retards that say the show is Racist. And that goes for a women being cast too. I'm not racist,I just think the doctor should remain white and male, it suits the role better. Even if someone from my ethinicity was cast I would be against aswell it since it just wouldnt be right for the show. More importantly, the next doctor should not be cast on colour or gender but who is the best actor for the role.

So you're saying that it would be impossible for a woman and/or a non-white person to be 'the best actor for the role'?
Original post by brocklehurst95
I'm not as big a doctor who fan as some people on here, but I'm weirdly disappointed that Matt Smith is leaving as The Doctor. I think it's that I weirdly have something in common with being born in Northampton and being a Blackburn Rovers fan, just like Matt Smith. Whoever is taking over is going to have a big shoes to fill. I heard Rupert Grint will be next, but as good as an actor as he is, I somehow doubt that.

Rupert Grint has been suggested by bloggers and the media, among many other actors, but the role hasn't been cast yet :p:

There's almost no point in speculating really since the previous patterns suggest someone who's only had a few roles before. It's fun guessing though :biggrin:
Original post by Watch Key Phone
So you're saying that it would be impossible for a woman and/or a non-white person to be 'the best actor for the role'?

No, he's saying that the decision should be made purely on who is right for the role, and he doesn't think anyone other than a white male would be right for the role. He's saying that the decision to cast a non-white actor, for example, should be taken only if it's the right thing for the part, and not just to face up to critics who have accused the show of racism. Which I think is fair enough really!

edit - I mean it's fair enough to cast purely on what's right for the show and not to make a point, I don't think it's fair enough to say that only a white male could do the part. I don't see how skin colour or ethnicity affects the part in any way tbh. Gender does though...
(edited 10 years ago)
Rupert Grint has been suggested by bloggers and the media, among many other actors, but the role hasn't been cast yet :p:

There's almost no point in speculating really since the previous patterns suggest someone who's only had a few roles before. It's fun guessing though :biggrin:

It's going to be interesting to see who will be next! I always found the new doctors to be strange at first (remember that Amy Pond fish fingers episode?) because they weren't like the old doctors but grew to like them over the series
Reply 1585
No, he's saying that the decision should be made purely on who is right for the role, and he doesn't think anyone other than a white male would be right for the role. He's saying that the decision to cast a non-white actor, for example, should be taken only if it's the right thing for the part, and not just to face up to critics who have accused the show of racism. Which I think is fair enough really!

edit - I mean it's fair enough to cast purely on what's right for the show and not to make a point, I don't think it's fair enough to say that only a white male could do the part. I don't see how skin colour or ethnicity affects the part in any way tbh. Gender does though...

Earth is a planet. Gallifrey is a planet. Earth has different ethnicities. I'd expect Gallifrey to be the same. I'm Asian and I don't see a problem with it, it'd be weird if he changed gender seeing as there are also Time Ladies (Romana and Rani).
Reply 1586

:teehee: I'm not sure I could cope with it, hilarious as it could be!
Reply 1588
Original post by Rakas21
The order i have them in is 4, 2, 1 3, 7, 5, 6

Was half tempted to put 7 above 3 but the multi-part stories won the day.

For episodes the ones that stand out are (in no particular order)...

Nightmare in Silver
Asylum of the Daleks
Snowman
Pandorica
Byzantium
The Doctors Wife
End of time (all parts)
End of series 4 (all parts, standout for turn left)
Fires of Pompeii
The Master returns (all parts)
The girl in the Fireplace
Army of Ghosts
End of Series 1

Best multi-parter was the end of series 4, best individual episode was the girl in the fireplace.

Yeah I'd go with that to be honest! Series 4 if we're including the specials was by far the best.
Original post by rhw
Earth is a planet. Gallifrey is a planet. Earth has different ethnicities. I'd expect Gallifrey to be the same. I'm Asian and I don't see a problem with it, it'd be weird if he changed gender seeing as there are also Time Ladies (Romana and Rani).

Yes... if you read my post I'm one of those arguing that it doesn't matter what skin colour or ethnicity he is. He completely changes everything about his body and appearance, so obviously his next form could have different coloured skin. It makes precisely no difference...

We know that Timelords can change gender - there was a discussion about it in The Doctor's Wife where the Corsair was mentioned, and it was said that he had been both male and female in different regenerations. So it's only logical that the Doctor could be female too. I don't think it would suit the role, but it's theoretically possible within the confines of the show.
Original post by rhw
Few quotes from series 6 finale making me think that the ending which went "Doctor Who?" isn't as cheesy anymore (In spoilers because it's a bit long)

I wonder what The Fall of the Eleventh is referring to

Spoiler

I think it's a shame in a way that Matt is leaving, I felt like we were finally starting to see some more depth to his Doctor and emotions other than the silly/funny persona we see so much of. For instance I thought his big speech against the sun god was very well acted, and also when he played the cyber version of the Doctor he portrayed a completely different personality and was quite creepy.

Unfortunately the writing in many of the episodes is quite weak and doesn't really allow the actors to shine. The main problem (IMO) is the writers often try to fit in overly complex stories, which basically results in the episode being rushed and resolved very quickly in the last few minutes, often with the use of 'deus ex machina'. Put simply, the episodes have problems with pacing, and sometimes just don't really make sense.

The other thing that annoys me is the way some of the characters are written, namely the Doctor and Clara. For instance in the Cold War, the way Clara acted made no sense, she wasn't even scared and kept smiling and being all chirpy/jokey. I think this did get better through the series, and to be fair I do like Clara as a companion, but it's as if the writers are trying to fit in all these neat little jokes and quirks, but it kinda gets in the way of the real emotion and story.

Though it probably is about time Matt left, before he gets too typecast or stale, I think there is a real issue with the writing (and perhaps direction) of Doctor Who at the moment. Lots of people just don't watch it anymore, because the stories are much more convoluted and many plot points just go unresolved/unexplained. I often find myself confused or frustrated with the stories, and this isn't necessarily going to change with a new Doctor. It's not that I hate every episode- there were several I quite liked this series- but I do think it's time for Moffat to step aside and let someone else take the reigns.
Original post by montstar
The other thing that annoys me is the way some of the characters are written, namely the Doctor and Clara.

I agree with you. I like Clara but I do think the writing doesn't show off her acting.
Reply 1593
A lot of people want this as the Doctor Who theme tune. I think it's pretty cool. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDQlnvU5FM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325806/INSIDE-THE-BOX-Exterminate-Doctor-Who-boss-BBC-urged.html

From the above article: Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005.
But a BBC spokesman said: ‘The show has the highest audience share of all dramas on any channel this year and is in the top three most requested shows on iPlayer.’

I actually think that since Moffat took over he's tried to appeal to a much wider audience, bringing in more fans who have never watched the show before. If they haven't seen the pre-MS era then they can't compare the quality and notice the poor writing/plot-lines much. I don't think SM even knows he's being criticised because he's so preoccupied with getting more fans in America. Plus the fact that he's busy with Sherlock and loads of other things. They need to replace Moffat with someone who's going to focus on Doctor Who only and not underestimate what it takes to keep up the show's good reputation.
Reply 1595
Original post by Dragonrage973
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325806/INSIDE-THE-BOX-Exterminate-Doctor-Who-boss-BBC-urged.html

From the above article: Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005.
But a BBC spokesman said: ‘The show has the highest audience share of all dramas on any channel this year and is in the top three most requested shows on iPlayer.’

I actually think that since Moffat took over he's tried to appeal to a much wider audience, bringing in more fans who have never watched the show before. If they haven't seen the pre-MS era then they can't compare the quality and notice the poor writing/plot-lines much. I don't think SM even knows he's being criticised because he's so preoccupied with getting more fans in America. Plus the fact that he's busy with Sherlock and loads of other things. They need to replace Moffat with someone who's going to focus on Doctor Who only and not underestimate what it takes to keep up the show's good reputation.

What that doesn't take into account is they way people watch TV has changed drastically since the first few series. 4.6m is the overnights only. The total reach when including figures gained from the likes of Sky+ and the iPlayer is still above 7.5m, which isn't much difference from the RTD era.

Of course, the discussion as to whether the show has dropped in terms of creativity and quality is a different matter...

EDIT: In fact, looking at the 'Live +7' data, which is the in house data the BBC use to look at the total reach of their programmes within the first 7 days of broadcast Series 1 averages 7.95m, where as Series 7 averages 8.42m (excluding Christmas Specials)
(edited 10 years ago)
I hope they don't try and do diversity stunt casting, the Doctor should be a white male, and preferably older this time around :smile:

Original post by Fullofsurprises
He would be rather awesome in that part. Didn't the Master get destroyed by the former Timelords or something? Presumably they could fix that with a bit of time manipulation....

Nah, no explanation given. He should just return like TA-DAAA and get on with it
Original post by Chantilly98
I agree with you. I like Clara but I do think the writing doesn't show off her acting.

This. She is a bloody fantastic actor. The way she acted in the final episode made me tingly inside.
I just read a comment saying to get rid of Moffat.

........I thought I'd never read those words.
Original post by Ollymurslove
I just read a comment saying to get rid of Moffat.

........I thought I'd never read those words.

Loads of people have been calling for him to go, with substantial criticism of the most recent 2 series. In particular, there has been a lot of talk about the rapidly falling audience figures which, while still extremely high for a BBC drama, are nowhere near the figures under RTD.

Quick Reply

Latest