The Student Room Group

Should I be aiming higher?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristocles123
Actually, I see the confusion. My apologies, what I meant but failed to say that it is mathematically possible to get an A* with a B at AS ]

Correct. Your original post would have been correct also if you had said grade C instead of grade B, i.e. like I said in my first post, you can get CCC at AS and still come out with A*A*A* overall very realistically.
Original post by Aristocles123
Wait no actually :L please tell me if I am wrong (as my maths is shabby) that above 70% in AS combined with above 90% in A2 fulfils the requirement of 80% overall and 90% in A2 for an A* overall?
Are we just saying the same thing but in different ways?]

That's correct but you don't need above 70% at AS. You could get below 70% in AS but then above 90% in A2 and come out with an A*, up to a limit of no lower than 60% in AS as at that point you would need 100% at A2.
Original post by maskofsanity
That's correct but you don't need above 70% at AS. You could get below 70% in AS but then above 90% in A2 and come out with an A*, up to a limit of no lower than 60% in AS as at that point you would need 100% at A2.

Yeah fair point, indeed you don't need 70%, I just said it as OP is expecting to get at least that
Just glad to know that my original post was correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
No:

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/accreditation/guidance/gce_developments.asp

Don't post with such authority if you don't know for certain.

Actually, in terms of when I went through I am right. My friend got 78% and 80% in his AS whilst achieving 100% in both his A2 exams and only achieved an A. And this was not just an inconsistency because there are a number of people in my year who were in the same boat. I know this for certain as I saw his results sheet and our teachers all had a letter from CCEA detailing that you needed 80% in your AS and 90% in your A2.
I am not arguing about this years boundaries or for AQA but for the year I went through as I have seen people just miss out.
Original post by ANB1993
Actually, in terms of when I went through I am right. My friend got 78% and 80% in his AS whilst achieving 100% in both his A2 exams and only achieved an A. And this was not just an inconsistency because there are a number of people in my year who were in the same boat. I know this for certain as I saw his results sheet and our teachers all had a letter from CCEA detailing that you needed 80% in your AS and 90% in your A2.
I am not arguing about this years boundaries or for AQA but for the year I went through as I have seen people just miss out.

The CCEA says otherwise, but regardless, you made out that this is for all boards which is incorrect.
Reply 25
The CCEA says otherwise, but regardless, you made out that this is for all boards which is incorrect.

I read what you posted and it has confused me as we had letter stating otherwise. And I made an assumption, which I should not have obviously, that it would be the same. We are not all perfect, everyone makes mistakes.
did not mean for this to become an argument over the A* grade :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending