The Student Room Group

Should I apply to UCL for law?

I'm considering applying for law UCL next academic year. I have 1 A*, 3 A's and 5 B's. I intend on getting at least an A* A B (Psychology, Law, Biology) in my mocks. Is it worth aiming for the goal of UCL or not?
Pretty sure UCL don't score GCSEs beyond minimum requirements for any course.

You would need to be aiming for A*AA predicted grades as that is the standard offer for the course, unless you qualify as a contextual applicant.
Wdym you have 1 A*, 3As and 5Bs? GCSE grades? You need A*AA to apply since that's the grade requirement.
Reply 3
Oh sorry, thought they did look at GCSE grades. should have looked at the site better :redface:
Unless you’re predicted the minimum of A*AA or are eligible for contextual offers then it’s not worth applying to UCL. Even with contextual offers you tend to find UCL still offers to those contextual students with really high predicted grades. I’ve never seen anyone predicted ABB for instance, who then got a contextual offer from them.
Reply 5
Original post by eiosa
I'm considering applying for law UCL next academic year. I have 1 A*, 3 A's and 5 B's. I intend on getting at least an A* A B (Psychology, Law, Biology) in my mocks. Is it worth aiming for the goal of UCL or not?

Hey!

UCL does look at your GCSEs but they are overrated, it doesn’t matter that much. People reach their academic potential later, compulsory subject choices etc. I would say as a guide most people who get into UCL or say LSE for law would have a majority A*-A grades at GCSE (especially for English, History, other humanities etc) and almost all grades would be a grade 7 or above, except maybe one or two. That isn’t a rule it’s just a general guide, your chances aren’t over if you don’t have that.

You need A*AA at least if you realistically want to apply (preferably higher) as the offer rate is extremely low, something like 10% I think of those A*AA applicants get an offer. But don’t let that dissuade you. If you feel good about being predicted A*AA or higher then absolutely go for it! You have nothing to lose. Focus on standing out, personal statement - what books have you read? Are there any mooting clubs you can join? Debating? Etc etc. a level subject combinations sometimes come into play, they like History and English but I’ve seen people get offers with sciences + maths. And of course there’s the LNAT. So by all means apply give it a go! But there’s some things you can do to strengthen your application aside from just grades.

However, if you are predicted A*AB-AAA then I wouldn’t apply as you would be highly unlikely to get an offer. But if you manage to get A*AB in your mocks I’m sure you’d predicted A*AA (or higher) as they usually predict you a grade or two higher.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending