The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
wow ... that is great... thanks so much!

by any chance, are there any answers.... lol.... a bit cheeky i know...

ta..... nate
Reply 41
does anyone get the feeling we might be tested on simple harmonic motion in section B?? its my worst chapter......hard for me as i dont do maths so can not get my head around differentiation. i reckon it might come up as we werent tested on it much (if at all! - cant quite remember) in the other papers, so they might have saved it for this.

anyway does anyone remeber the equations for velocity time and acceleration time graphs???
i did know them. and its on a sheet somewhere. but its not in the books. i have an idea but i wanna be sure.

the first, displacement-time.....is

x = A sin (2 pi f)t

for the other two u square various things but i cant remember what!........
would be very grateful for any help on this!
Okay simple harmonic motion:
Theres two different formulas you can have, depending on wether the motion starts at the top (release a pendulum) or at the bottom (hit a pendulum). These are:
X=aCos ((2piF)t) and X=aSin((2piF)t)
Differentiate to get:
V=-(2piF)*aSin((2piF)t) and V=(2piF)*aCos((2piF)t)
Whichever one of these you use, you can rearrange to get:
V^2 = (2piF)^2*(a^2-X^2)

If you differentiate the velocity one again, you get:

Acc = -(2piF)^2*aCos((2piF)t) and Acc = -(2piF)^2*aSin((2piF)t)
BUT you hardly ever use these, as the second chunk of each is equal to the X from the top of each column, so in both cases:
Acc = -(2piF)^2 * X <--- and this is the key SHM equation, as if any situation can be written as this, then all the above equations are true.

NB - I personally would rewrite 2piF as omega, (the squiggly w) to save writing it out every time.

Hope that helps, luke (and hope i got them all right)
Reply 43
I think for the most part.. the equations to do with simple harmonic motion is in the formulae booklet given, so don't worry too much... If you are still not happy take a look for urself .

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/student_guides_and_materials/cquartetOCRTempFileuROZQa99U6.pdf
Reply 44
ooh thank you so much for writing them all out for me!! thats really great of you. im sure they are right, they sound to familiar to be wrong!
a link to the formula sheet is also nice....i keep losing mine!! even though ive stolen about 80 so far.......
Reply 45
hi brill thanks a lot for the questions - much grateful
Did you get answers with that as well? if you did would you mind putting them up here please :biggrin:
thanks again
w00tt
Hahaha Kizer, your Physics department is like the best ever. Thanks for this. It's awesome.
Yeah, a lot better than out department. As already requested ? Are there any answers ?
Ahoy,
I really wish i had found this site a week ago. Thanks for the practise questions. I've been sitting around not knowing quite what to revise!! 18.5 hours till i never have to do any physics again and i cant wait. Good luck to all you clever people who think ocr b is easy i'm sure you will go far!!! (I personally find it quite challenging enough) Good Luck tomorrow and for the future.

Hannah
xxxx
Reply 49
ridgey1988
lol. u are applying for uni right???? if u got worse results....u wouldnt be able to get in!!!! just a thought........

Erm. Yes he would.
Reply 50
sig.fig.
Hmm, I'm sensing some negative energy directed towards me....
I didn't mean my post to come across as arrogant, I was only trying to express what I think is the truth.
I didn't say I find the specification too easy: I said it is too easy; although the former may have been unintentionally implicit in my post.
There is a difference between saying 'I find it easy' and 'it is easy'. I could have claimed the latter even if I have rubbish marks in physics, because I can compare the OCR B specification to other specifications, which is what I did.

I have never compared OCR B to other specifications. Which specification did you do? And how did you manage to compare from the outside?
Reply 51
samd
I have never compared OCR B to other specifications. Which specification did you do? And how did you manage to compare from the outside?

I've just about finished OCR B too.
I compared it to others by looking at specifications and past papers of others.
Admittedly, I probably hold a slight unjustified prejudice that other specifications are harder simply because I believe they must be harder than OCR B.
I suppose I would have to undergo the whole course of the other specifications to make a truly valid judgment.
Reply 52
samd
Erm. Yes he would.

Lol! Cheers sam!
Reply 53
the questions are harder than the one i get from the school

are there any answers??
Reply 54
sig.fig.
I've just about finished OCR B too.
I compared it to others by looking at specifications and past papers of others.
Admittedly, I probably hold a slight unjustified prejudice that other specifications are harder simply because I believe they must be harder than OCR B.
I suppose I would have to undergo the whole course of the other specifications to make a truly valid judgment.

By which time you would already be rather well versed in the general content of Physics at A2 level making the whole thing pretty impossible.
I thought that OCR B was easier than others for similar reasons to those you suggest but I looked at some other specs papers... and they aren't much different in all honesty.
Surely it seems harder because you haven't learnt/been taught what's on the other syllabi? To be honest I couldn't give a crap if OCR B is easier, all I want is the grade! I don't know why people are complaining....

Anyway I reckon we should get back to the problem in hand... Make me good at physics, People!
Reply 56
Hey guys, here are some questions that I've been working on. I've lost the answers though...

List of topics

First set of questions

Second set of questions, part 1

Second set of questions, part 2

Second set of questions, part 3

Hope they help :smile:

- Yorkie.
Thanks a lot yorkiebar, they're dead helpful. Rep coming your way.
Reply 58
dude thanks for those question
one question though - in the topics - u sure its meant to be *relatively unlikely ** likely *** unlikely?
thanks again
w00tt
so for section B can it be Anything from the two years?

Latest