The Student Room Group

Audition, need help with song!

Hey ya'll :wink: I'm an acting student who has just about finished my HND year at college. I am now auditioning to go to drama school and I need some help.

I only just applied a couple of days ago, but I went into my inbox yesterday and they've already assigned me an audition date which is at the end of April for Musical Theatre.

I already have two songs and a Shakespearean monologue looked out. Now all I need is a non-musical theatre song, which could be anything from pop to jazz to classical (anything at all really). I am female and a mezzo soprano. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could sing?

I also need a contemporary monologue which I'm sure won't be hard to find but any suggestions on here regarding a contemporary monologue wouldn't go a miss either.

Thanks everyone!
Reply 1
Hey! Does this happen to be the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland that you are applying for? I got an offer from the BA Musical Theatre here for next year! It's such a great place! If you are applying here, just know that I don't think they asked anyone at all for their non MT song, but obviously you still need to prepare it! I say although it's none musical theatre, use a song that isn't too contrasting to MT, I used a ballad song: a piano accompaniment of Desperado - The Eagles. Do you sing in any other style of music?
Hey :smile:

What date is your audition? Mine is also the end of April!
I would also recommend having a song which you enjoy singing, and a genre which also complements you as a singer. Anything jazzy, I can imagine, is great because the likes of Gershwin, Cole Porter and Ebb&Kander all used influences or were heavily jazz based. (I don't know if this helps at all!)
What sort of character were you looking to play/ what type of monologue? Funny, sad, serious etc?
Also Lewis, Congratulations!! How did you find the audition?

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by LewisMcBean
Hey! Does this happen to be the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland that you are applying for? I got an offer from the BA Musical Theatre here for next year! It's such a great place! If you are applying here, just know that I don't think they asked anyone at all for their non MT song, but obviously you still need to prepare it! I say although it's none musical theatre, use a song that isn't too contrasting to MT, I used a ballad song: a piano accompaniment of Desperado - The Eagles. Do you sing in any other style of music?

Thanks for replying guys but I managed to get something sorted. And sorry for the late reply! It is the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland I'm auditioning for.

Congratulations Lewis! Have you accepted your place at the RCS and will you be starting after the summer if you are? Please tell me all about your audition, I would really appreciate knowing what happened and how you feel it went.

Cindy, where will you be auditioning?
Original post by AllThatJazzHands

Im also auditioning at RCS!!
Reply 5
Original post by AllThatJazzHands
Thanks for replying guys but I managed to get something sorted. And sorry for the late reply! It is the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland I'm auditioning for.

Congratulations Lewis! Have you accepted your place at the RCS and will you be starting after the summer if you are? Please tell me all about your audition, I would really appreciate knowing what happened and how you feel it went.

Thank you very much! I dont quite know yet as I have also been offered a place for GSA, but the place is fantastic! The facilities are by far the best Ive seen... not that other drama schools have any lower quality facilities but RCS has just fields of studios haha! Spiers lock studios are massive just for dance and then there are like 3 theatres in the place...

The audition is also good, first round you do a dance to sing sing sing and then you move onto individual singing with your songs, they usually choose which they want you to sing but I got to choose my first song... this is only in front of the panel... then there is a recall half way through the day and you have to do some of your pieces again.

The final recall at a later date is similar apart from you get to perform your own devised piece which includes dance singing acting and or musicianship... you have to prepare all of your songs and monologues from the first round too... the place is absolutely fantastic and youll love the people
Check out my blog on auditioning for drama schools! :smile: auditioningfordramaschools.blogspot.co.uk
Reply 7
Original post by LewisMcBean
Thank you very much! I dont quite know yet as I have also been offered a place for GSA, but the place is fantastic! The facilities are by far the best Ive seen... not that other drama schools have any lower quality facilities but RCS has just fields of studios haha! Spiers lock studios are massive just for dance and then there are like 3 theatres in the place...

The audition is also good, first round you do a dance to sing sing sing and then you move onto individual singing with your songs, they usually choose which they want you to sing but I got to choose my first song... this is only in front of the panel... then there is a recall half way through the day and you have to do some of your pieces again.

The final recall at a later date is similar apart from you get to perform your own devised piece which includes dance singing acting and or musicianship... you have to prepare all of your songs and monologues from the first round too... the place is absolutely fantastic and youll love the people

Hello! I am from Canada and I have also been accepted into GSA and RCS!!! I am leaning towards RCS, but what are your thoughts? I have never been to either school, but I am visting in a couple weeks! What are your thoughts on the programs? Pros and cons! I need to know as much as I can to help me with my decision. Thanks!
Reply 8
[QUOTE="janlie;42402819"]Hello! I am from Canada and I have also been accepted into GSA and RCS!!! I am leaning towards RCS, but what are your thoughts? I have never been to either school, but I am visting in a couple weeks! What are your thoughts on the programs? Pros and cons! I need to know as much as I can to help me with my decision. Thanks![/QUOTE

Hey!

urm at the moment im leaning more towards GSA but if you send me your email tell you a bit more about both experiences since i auditioned there and actually stayed in accommodation at RCS before my audition!

Quick Reply

Latest