The Student Room Group

Applying For Medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Firstly, I know lots of these already exist, so i apologize for posting yet another.

I would love to do medicine, but i have a few concerns:

1. My GCSEs might not be up to par, I got 7 As, 2 Bs and a C.
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Mathematics: A
History: A
Eng Lit: A
R.E.(short course): B
Citizenship(short course): A
Eng Lang: B
Islamic Studies (external): C

When compared to the applicant with even 3A*s at GCSEs i feel i did bad. Ideally i'd love to get into the RG of unis.

2. In my Jan exams, i screwed up with 2 Cs and 2 Ds ( Cs in maths bio, Ds in Chem Physics). I'm ripped apart, I really could've done better, all the guys withs As ended up asking me for help and needing me to explain topics to them, and i hit rock bottom.

3. When you apply for UCAS, do they predict your A2s after you recieve your AS grades or is it based on January Results?.

4. Moreover, I see many people have shadowing as work experience, i mean how do you even get that, do you ring the hospital staright up or apply online? Can I also do months of voluntary work to make my application more pretty and is what i learnt from it worth mentioning in an interview? Along with this, is there a word limit for the PS. And can anyone quote a page that shows where a Unis interest is. E.g. UKCAT, PS.

Many thanks for reading, I appreciate any and all help dearly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Firstly, I know lots of these already exist, so i apologize for posting yet another.

When compared to the applicant with even 3A*s at GCSEs i feel i did bad. Ideally i'd love to get into the RG of unis.

2. In my Jan exams, i screwed up with 2 Cs and 2 Ds ( Cs in maths bio, Ds in Chem Physics). I'm ripped apart, I really could've done better, all the guys withs As ended up asking me for help and needing me to explain topics to them, and i hit rock bottom.

3. When you apply for UCAS, do they predict your A2s after you recieve your AS grades or is it based on January Results?.

4. Moreover, I see many people have shadowing as work experience, i mean how do you even get that, do you ring the hospital staright up or apply online? Can I also do months of voluntary work to make my application more pretty and is what i learnt from it worth mentioning in an interview? Along with this, is there a word limit for the PS. And can anyone quote a page that shows where a Unis interest is. E.g. UKCAT, PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="MujtabaBajwa;42221255"]

Your GCSEs are fine and put you in with a shot: just make sure you don't apply anywhere that likes to see a high number of A*s!

All medical schools are of equal prestige: none are "better" than the other, so it doesn't matter if a medical school is from the Russell Group, 94 Group, ex-poly, Oxbridge or whatever. As long as a medical school has GMC accreditation, then it meets the high standard that the GMC enforce.
Someone who goes to Cambridge will be in no better a position than someone who goes to Aberdeen. :no:

You know this as well as anyone, but you're going to need to get your **** together if you want to have any shot at medicine. Can you resit any modules from the Jan exams?
You'll need to be working hard for the summer exams to compensate!

Think it depends on the institution, but from what I've read on TSR, most seem to base their prediction off of their AS grades.

4. Moreover, I see many people have shadowing as work experience, i mean how do you even get that, do you ring the hospital staright up or apply online?

If the hospital has a voluntary services department: you can get in touch with them. Otherwise, you should be getting in touch with doctors (from FYs right to consultants): writing to them, e-mail, expressing your interest in their work and requesting some shadowing experience.

We have a big thread dedicated to all of this stuff!

Can I also do months of voluntary work to make my application more pretty and is what i learnt from it worth mentioning in an interview?

It's recommended, and you should be mentioning it in your PS. Voluntary work in a care setting is fantastic. :yes:

Along with this, is there a word limit for the PS.

4000 characters or 47 lines.

And can anyone quote a page that shows where a Unis interest is. E.g. UKCAT, PS.

No such page exists to the best of my knowledge and you'll have to do the research yourself, but I suggest that you check out our medicine wiki page as it has lots of quality information there. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I would suggest you take a couple of days to first soul search and think about whether medicine is really for you. I'm not saying just in terms of academics because it is my personal belief that you can do Medicine at Oxbridge with a BBB level of knowledge but with A*A*A* dedication.

Think about yourself academically and be honest with yourself, afterwards choose your universities carefully based on this. If you think that will loads of work and dedication that you'll get AAB then apply only to universities that want that and find one good one that you like that has let people in on ABB as your backup.
Reply 4
you need minimum b in english and math (**** that you obviously need bunch of A's) and for a level you need chemistry and biology some also ask for math
do work experience/shadowing at hospitals, gps, pharmacies etc

make sure medicine is what you really want before you apply
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply,

I am resitting all of the exams with my summer exams, also i know why i screwed up, I didnt practice enough with papers, my ability to understand and absorb the knowledge is above excellent, i got too cocky and a part of me knew right after i sat those exams that i would end up like this. I sure learnt from that mistake the hard way. And im really sure i'd like to do medicine, not really concerned with which Uni, aslong as it is adequetly equipped.

I'll check out this TSR wiki page for sure, also: Is it a good strategy to get a 'diverse' range of work experience, not just 1 area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mysterd

If you think that will loads of work and dedication that you'll get AAB then apply only to universities that want that and find one good one that you like that has let people in on ABB as your backup.

Which is none of them. Every medical school has an AAA minimum, and given that they're spoilt for choice due to the huge number of applicants every year (16,000-17,000 applicants), then you're going to have to be very, very, very lucky for them to be compromising.

Original post by smd4std
you need minimum b in english and math (**** that you obviously need bunch of A's) and for a level you need chemistry and biology some also ask for math
do work experience/shadowing at hospitals, gps, pharmacies etc

make sure medicine is what you really want before you apply

To the bold: not at GCSE
To the underlined: only some Cambridge colleges.

Original post by MujtabaBajwa

I'll check out this TSR wiki page for sure, also: Is it a good strategy to get a 'diverse' range of work experience, not just 1 area.

In terms of work experience, what really matters is how you portray it in your personal statement. If you only ever spend a few days shadowing a cardiologist, but learn a lot, reflect on it well and show how it developed your appreciation of the skills/qualities required to be a doctor, and improved your understanding of medicine as a career, then that's much preferable to the applicant who shadowed a variety of specialties in medicine, surgery and primary care who just says: "I did a day in a cardiology ward; a week shadowing an anaesthetist; I saw 3 operations in theatre ... continuum ad nauseum."

A range of experience would make it easier to write about in the PS; you'd learn more, and be able to reflect on it better, but honestly, it's quality over quantity all the way.
Reply 7
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

well , I think U need to re think , because I know many applicants (me included ) who got 6*+ at gcse , straight a's at AS , a **** load of work experience / shadowing /volunteering and got 4 rejection, so I don't think you should apply , and your arrogance to only want russel group Unis is hilarious because your really not in a position to be picky , your a level grades don't seem to be anywhere near good enough, wait until after august results day till you reconsider but keep in mind how competitive it is so don't be disheartened . Also what sort of work experience do you currently have ???
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Firstly, the Russell Group is irrelevant for medicine - all medical schools are equal. You need to look at which medical schools place less emphasis on GCSE results.

Your predictions are done by your teachers and it's up to them how they calculate it, but it will likely not to be done until you have your AS results.

Depends on where you live. Look around local hospital websites to see if they have official work exp programs. If not, ring the hospital and ask to speak to the work experience coordinator (usually based in HR) for details of how to apply for work experience.

You also need to do voluntary work. You should write about what you learned from it in your personal statement, which has a maximum length of 4000 characters including spaces or 47 lines, whichever you reach first.

Take a look at our wiki - there are pages on what GCSEs each school wants, the UKCAT, and applying to your strengths.
Reply 9
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending