The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I get £2400 from student finance £1000 of nhs and &1200 from the nhs. that doesn't even cover my accommodation. I know my fees are paid for because there a nursing course. and yea I know it depends on my parents income. but it would be so nice to show then I'm independent and don't need there money. I don't want there money because at the moment there barely scraping by because they have to pay £4000 a month for my Grandads care home. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ed-
Well my loan comes up £1000 short of my accommodation costs because of the stupid means tested system so my parents have to make that up. And they'll be giving me about £80 a week to live on. Isn't it great how people are actually punished for earning too much money

You must be so hard done by, my student loan barely covers my accommodation and my parents can't afford to give me anything. I've worked full time all summer and I'll only be living off £40 a week. So yeah it mus be so difficult to have rich parents who will fork out thousands of pounds for you.
Original post by lascelles
I get a grant/loan of £7500, but my accommodation is £6330. The first term's rent is more than the first term's loan so I'm skint from the off. Luckily, I get a £1000 bursary from my uni, but I don't get the first instalment of that til December :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, why is your accommodation so expensive?
Original post by Vibenation
That tough, I be moving to Middlesbrough so living cost be cheap hopefully so I save up my money for after graduation possibly for travelling or paying for masters.

At least you are going uni, so the costs are worth it in my opinion.

Good luck.

Sorry, but I thought the maximum student loan outside of London was something in the region of £5500 and the £7500 amount is inside the London area?

I will have about -£2 per week to live on.

Well eating might be fun, might try that bin raiding thing. My parents can't afford to help em out either but I don't blame them I'm going to try and live off savings and maybe I can get a job to help me along. I might aslo ask my universities if there are any scholarships/funds available.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Saliency
Damn, why is your accommodation so expensive?

Well it is catered and en suite, so I won't be spending THAT much on food. I didn't have any choice in that matter. The only other halls on my campus are £10 cheaper a week (no en suite), which I wanted, but I think they put everyone on my course in my halls, so I don't know why I bothered putting a preferred choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 405
Original post by AspiringGenius
Sorry, but I thought the maximum student loan outside of London was something in the region of £5500 and the £7500 amount is inside the London area?

I will have about -£2 per week to live on.

Well eating might be fun, might try that bin raiding thing. My parents can't afford to help em out either but I don't blame them I'm going to try and live off savings and maybe I can get a job to help me along. I might aslo ask my universities if there are any scholarships/funds available.

Wow seriously. Well I'm not going to ask you the personal questions of parents income etc. I am going to point out a few things that just might help you. If your Uni of choice are charging the maximum fee of 9k or close to it. They have an obligation as part of the deal from the Gov to help Students in financial distress with bursaries.

Also if the means test on your parents returned at less than 26k your entitled to the full grant for living expenses. If above 26k but below 41k you are still entitled to a reduced amount calculated on the income. If your not currently at your Uni of choice and still at home. Get yourself to your closest Uni and find a finance rep, their floating around most Uni's now.

My personal thoughts on this, you haven't applied for everything your entitled to.
I'm going to be living off about £20 per week if I'm lucky, this is all out of my savings as my loan doesn't even cover my accommodation in the first two terms!
Reply 407
After accommodation, about £50 a week. Should be ok, but if I run into any difficulties, I have some money saved up.
I'm living of -£8 yes, minus, a week :smile: funnily enough, my parents actual income after tax is less than £24K so I wish I was getting that ridiculously excessive maximum loan and grant and bursaries from the Uni but sadly no because we're 'rich'. My parents pay towards my granddads care so that's why thy can't give me anything, as well as having three children one in Uni who they pay for as he gets the old finance system which is different obviously and the other is in nursery which is super expensive. Sorry for the life story but its just to illustrate that 'rich' people getting the minimum loan are perfectly entitled to be complaining about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gungy
Wow seriously. Well I'm not going to ask you the personal questions of parents income etc. I am going to point out a few things that just might help you. If your Uni of choice are charging the maximum fee of 9k or close to it. They have an obligation as part of the deal from the Gov to help Students in financial distress with bursaries.

Also if the means test on your parents returned at less than 26k your entitled to the full grant for living expenses. If above 26k but below 41k you are still entitled to a reduced amount calculated on the income. If your not currently at your Uni of choice and still at home. Get yourself to your closest Uni and find a finance rep, their floating around most Uni's now.

My personal thoughts on this, you haven't applied for everything your entitled to.

The universities are only obligated to help those from deprived backgrounds. if you have a household income over 60K you're not entitled to anything except te basic loan which in most cases does not even cover the accomodation. There is nothing that can be done about it other than getting a job which is so so unfair. Don't patronise people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't have any savings left from my old job after rent, bills, food etc., and student finance only just covers my accomodation.

I have about £13 a week to spend, and need to find a part-time job desperately. I think I should be entitled to the maintenance grant, but SFE haven't confirmed anything yet. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
How many academic weeks are you guys dividing the total amount by?
Reply 412
£25 a week. Which is a lot less than when I did my first degree! If my Granddad hadn't left me money when he died I wouldn't be able to finance this Masters at all, I really wish student loans were available for postgrads.

The means testing of student loans is ridiculous - it's really unfair on people whose parents who earn a lot but aren't willing to help at all. The student shouldn't be penalised for that, it's not their fault.
Reply 413
I have around £30 a week, and that's only because Iv'e saved up 1.5 grand to prepare for uni, student finance barely covers my accommodation, and though my parents are trying their best they can't (and I don't want them to have to) Pay for me to go university. I'm "lucky" that my mother hasn't been able to find work for the past 2 years else my maintenance loan would be a grand short of the years accommodation. So I need to get a part time job asap when I arrive. I really wish student finance would take into account the number of children in your family, as I'm 1 of 3 in university right now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 414
£20 a week which is awful but if I get a part-time job for 6 hours or so then I'm all okay. :smile:
About £250 a week because of my job.
after rent it will be £110 a week...god, it's gonna be tough living off pot noodles and beans on toast :colone:
Original post by saberahmed786
after rent it will be £110 a week...god, it's gonna be tough living off pot noodles and beans on toast :colone:

You can afford a lot more than pot noodles and beans on toast for £110pw
Original post by Gungy

Well my issue lies in the fact we go over those two amounts but because of comittments elsewhere I don't want to go into, there's not any free money. I'm sure we will be able to make it work for a little while at least. I want to get settled first (as I'm studying medicine which makes getting to a uni closer to home really hard) with the workload and I will try and find a job to fund eating and books. I did have a job which I have saved money from but I couldn't get a branch transfer so I have left that now. I'll be ok for a while at least.
Unfortunately about £30 a week but I plan to work so should be fine

Latest

Trending

Trending