The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex University- Living expenses

Hello, 🙂😊
I have applied to the University of Sussex and wanted to know what the living expenses will be per month including accommodation (I have already applied to Swanborough which is 156£ per week) transport, food, going out, activities, clothes etc. I would like to know an amount which would be sufficient for a person in order to eat healthily, and generally live a comfortable and quality life.
Thanks in advance 😊
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hiya, the costs in Brighton and Sussex can be really expensive if you don't go out of your way to save money. The campus Co-op is extortionate at best and Brighton can be a really expensive place to live. There are good ways to save money (trains into Brighton are cheap, shopping off-campus at Aldi, taking advantage of deals, offers, free stuff etc)

It's really up to what ease of living you want. I'm happier to pay more money for ease in most cases as I'm a lazy ******* and can afford to. I have friends that live really comfortably off not much money at all.

I hope you come to Sussex, it's a great time.

Good luck!
Reply 3
It's ****ing expensive, that's for sure!! Rent doesn't go down when you leave halls either, it's about £130 per week, and its 12 month contracts. Entry is always £5-10, a pint is £5 wherever you go, £4 for a single vodka mixer (and that's the cheapest, although you can sometimes get £3 doubles before 12 on certain nights)

BUT don't let it put you off because there are loads of jobs here, it's a lovely place to be, and a great uni. I have a job and am managing to actually save money while being at uni, and afford holidays abroad completely without help from my parents (Going to New York, Italy, and Paris this summer and have already been to China and Portugal this year) so its definitely doable but a far cry from up north where you pay £60pw rent and £1 drinks :colonhash: i'd say you have to get a job to be comfortable here...
Reply 4
Original post by Studentletshope
Hello, 🙂😊
I have applied to the University of Sussex and wanted to know what the living expenses will be per month including accommodation (I have already applied to Swanborough which is 156£ per week) transport, food, going out, activities, clothes etc. I would like to know an amount which would be sufficient for a person in order to eat healthily, and generally live a comfortable and quality life.
Thanks in advance 😊

Sussex itself provides some guidance:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/fees-funding/living-costs
Thanks for the answer 😊 Well what do you mean it’s a twelve month contract? So I will have to pay for the whole year?! And do you think that 1100£ qould be enough for a month to cover all expenses including clothes and saving for traveling? 😏
Reply 6
Original post by Studentletshope
Thanks for the answer 😊 Well what do you mean it’s a twelve month contract? So I will have to pay for the whole year?! And do you think that 1100£ qould be enough for a month to cover all expenses including clothes and saving for traveling? 😏

It's common to have a 12 month contract when you go into privately rented accomodation next year. You pay it monthly plus a deposit.
Original post by Ayzy
Hiya, the costs in Brighton and Sussex can be really expensive if you don't go out of your way to save money. The campus Co-op is extortionate at best and Brighton can be a really expensive place to live. There are good ways to save money (trains into Brighton are cheap, shopping off-campus at Aldi, taking advantage of deals, offers, free stuff etc)

It's really up to what ease of living you want. I'm happier to pay more money for ease in most cases as I'm a lazy ******* and can afford to. I have friends that live really comfortably off not much money at all.

I hope you come to Sussex, it's a great time.

Good luck!

So bro, which locations or cities are good to accommodate my self and use train for attending sussex university? Please help I am anew student and can't afford expensive costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending