The Student Room Group

Do you still have to pay for accomodation when away?

For example during Christmas holidays I may move back to my home city, so during that time do i still pay for my accommodation? Also, a bonus question i wanted to ask is that whats the average rent for accommodation monthly or weekly?
Original post by No1FanGirl
For example during Christmas holidays I may move back to my home city, so during that time do i still pay for my accommodation? Also, a bonus question i wanted to ask is that whats the average rent for accommodation monthly or weekly?

Yes usually you do have to pay even if you're back in your home city as you have chosen to do this. Often you'll pay for x amount of weeks per year and this may include the summer holidays too. Rent will vary hugely depending on location, quality of the accommodation, if it includes bills etc.
Reply 2
For example during Christmas holidays I may move back to my home city, so during that time do i still pay for my accommodation?

It depends what your contract says. When I lived in halls, the contract was for 30 weeks, and I was required to move out over the Christmas and Easter vacations.

If you're not required to move out during vacations then you'll still have to pay -- the accommodation is there for you to use and your contract won't allow the landlord to move anyone else in during that time.

Also, a bonus question i wanted to ask is that whats the average rent for accommodation monthly or weekly?

It will depend on the standard of accommodation and where it is located.
Reply 3

Student university provided accommodation varies between about £4k per year in some cheap cities without on suite bathrooms, to over £10K per year for better accommodation in London. Lots of mid range accommodation in mid range cities is about £6K or so.

Hi there,

Well, if you have a contract which is how nearly all accommodations are then Yes yo have to pay even if you're away. They can't take out those weeks or your stuff from the place either. An the average rent depends on what city you stay and if it's a private or school owned student accommodation, but overall average per week should be £135, it might be less or more. Therefore, you should budget £3500 and above for accommodation.

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador-UoS

The contract you sign will define when you have to pay, how much you have to pay each instalment, how much it is a week, how many weeks the contract lasts etc.

In almost all cases the contract will include christmas and easter. Sometimes, like mine, it lasts all the way from September to August. In short, yes, you will have to pay for any time you aren't in your accomodation. Much like any place you rent as an adult, contracts are legally binding and you have to pay what is owed. Hopefully not too scary haha.

Average rents vary significantly depending on where you are. If you're in a London university expect to pay a lot. South England in general tends to be a lot more expensive than north England. My accomodation this year was £102.50 a week; next year I'm moving somewhere that is £125 a week. You will be able to find cheap accomodation of these prices and even lower, but it really is dependant on the area.

Do some research. Look up student housing companies at the universities you want to go to and see.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Note - if you don't pay for your room over the holidays this will be because they can rent it out for conferences etc. which would require you to move everything out. You might get one lockable cupboard but the rest has to be taken home and brought back when the new term starts.
(edited 9 months ago)

Hey there @No1FanGirl !
Most of the time, yes you will have to pay for your accommodation for the full year. But usually contracts are only 42 week contracts for student halls, in second year is when the year long contracts might start. How much your accommodation costs completely depends on the area and the city you're living in. For example, London accommodations cost a lot more on average. I live in Sheffield and accommodation here is cheaper compared to somewhere like Leeds. The average here is around £115 a week for student halls and that's including bills. Somewhere like Leeds it's more like an average of £140 for student halls. It just completely depends where you are.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,
Your accommodation contract will state what duration your rent payments cover. In almost all cases, you will be liable for the rent for the entire duration of your contract. That's to say, even if you aren't physically present at the accommodation, you will still be paying the rent as that room is yours for the duration of the tenancy. This means you can keep your belongings there etc.

In terms of average rent, this varies from city to city. It's worth looking at value for money when you're considering what accommodation to book. For example, does the accommodation have access to facilities that make a higher than average room worth the money? This entirely depends on your budget.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hello,

I hope you’re well. Yes you’ll have to continue to pay your rent during Christmas time as you’ll have a fixed amount during the academic year regardless, which you may pay in full or instalments dependent on the accommodation and your circumstances.

It’s very hard to estimate accommodation prices as it varies widely based on location, accommodation & room type. I’d say anything between £120-250+ per week.

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here!

With student accommodation, you usually have a contract. For instance, in my first year, my contract was from the end of September until the end of June. You pay rent this entire time, as per your contract. This also saves you from needing to move your things in and out.

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
I think the OP has had the same answer given to their question enough times now.
Average rent varies from city to city. Some unis are pricey halls, but some can be quite reasonable. And its it can be down if you want an ensuite, studio, shared etc. Id look at the unis you are intereted in, check out accommodation costs there, and also how much it is to live in those cities by visting a few student housing sites. Accommodation for students is a good site as they also show prices for private halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending