The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by AccountingBabe
I am completely in agreement with you and all the others that caring for sick family members is important and I would do all that I could to provide a family member with the care that they need, but she is saying that £48,000 is the lowest amount needed for his care when this is not the case.

I mean your parents income doesn't even cover half of the £48,000 for care and they still managed to provide care for him.

It just seems a little odd and excessive.

I don't think that 48,000 is the lowest amount needed, but maybe taking into accout location and availibility etc. that was their only option? idk there's clearly more to this issue than meets the eye.
You are missing my point... £4000 a month would not be affordable for someone on say £12k a year income so how do they cope with family members with alzheimers?

Bottom line is your parents are spending too much on care to the point it is affecting all of your lives.

we have to spend that on care because the government used all my Grandads savings up. they said they wouldn't help him out at all so when his money ran out we've had to use ours. yeah his family. but they still refuse to help us. so don't be insensitive. from the age of 9 I've been his carer inbetween school and working myself. not saying I have hard life but money is tight an that is one of the cheapest care homes. thanks to everyone whoa sent supportive messages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CM19
I don't think that 48,000 is the lowest amount needed, but maybe taking into accout location and availibility etc. that was their only option? idk there's clearly more to this issue than meets the eye.

trust me it is the only option! Alzheimer's triggers a ton of other issues one being anger. it's not the lowest but it's not the highest either. the government refuses to help us out were literally trapped because we don't know what else to do! it's mad how some people react on here! if I said my parents were on benefits and the government sent him too a care home costing that amount they'd be uproar. (I'm not slagging anyone off I'm just turning the tables)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SQ918
Whoa the people who reply to your post are very insensitive. I gotta admit my parents are quite well off; my mum and dad's joint income is above £55k a year. We live comfortable but they pay for my whole year's accommodation and at the same time supporting my grandad who has thyroid cancer and prostate cancer at the same time. Just because my family makes a decent amount, it doesn't mean that things are smooth in the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the costs are ridiculous! for some reason there's an image that if you have money your life runs smoothly. when really everyone faces the same issues!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 444
I think I'll be getting around £85 per week from my loan. I'm lucky that my parents are in a position to pay my accommodation, so with the £85 Ill probably save £40 and convert the £45 to euro for living costs. So about 53 euro/week eek
Reply 445
Original post by graceey_bear
trust me it is the only option! Alzheimer's triggers a ton of other issues one being anger. it's not the lowest but it's not the highest either. the government refuses to help us out were literally trapped because we don't know what else to do! it's mad how some people react on here! if I said my parents were on benefits and the government sent him too a care home costing that amount they'd be uproar. (I'm not slagging anyone off I'm just turning the tables)
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're misunderstanding me. I think it's lovely what your parents are doing and I do not in any way underestimate the strain it must put them under, but I know where I live my grandfather got sent to a care home which didn't cost that much but he had 24 hour care and supervision and severe alzheimers.
Original post by CM19
You're misunderstanding me. I think it's lovely what your parents are doing and I do not in any way underestimate the strain it must put them under, but I know where I live my grandfather got sent to a care home which didn't cost that much but he had 24 hour care and supervision and severe alzheimers.

Her parents obviously made a decision to go private rather than through the NHS, hence the reason for the obscene fees.
The government aren't going to help with private fees.
Reply 447
£15 a week, cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner sounds like a plan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Government will never assess the financial needs of your grand father through your parents income. It will only be assessed through his own financial needs.

This means even if your parents where millionaires or living off benefits, the situation would be the same... Your parents income don't come into it at all.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=125
Maybe direct your parents to this website and tell them to pick somewhere more affordable, such as an NHS institution which will be more likely to receive funding from the Government.

I'm honestly not trying to be harsh here, I'm just stating facts.
Her parents obviously made a decision to go private rather than through the NHS, hence the reason for the obscene fees.
The government aren't going to help with private fees.

lol no we didn't make the decision? why you trying to make it out like you know anything about it. when you clearly don't understand how much care cost. I don't need your opinion on what we spend our money on. the government won't help people who have over £15,000 or something and trust me that soon got taken by the cost of care. they still won't give us anything to help. I'm not saying they should pay the amount we are, even if they offered us a care home within there trust anything would help. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CM19

sorry I was still a bit annoyed about what was said. the government are a nightmare. it's a nightmare it's purely his savings which is the reason why we don't get any help what's so ever. all his savings are gone now and we still don't get help. not even a care home in the trust or anything. it's a nightmare. he has the exact same but the anger from the alz which ul understand happens is awful it's horrible. :smile: some care homes were asking for £3,700 a week for the care!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol no we didn't make the decision? why you trying to make it out like you know anything about it. when you clearly don't understand how much care cost. I don't need your opinion on what we spend our money on. the government won't help people who have over £15,000 or something and trust me that soon got taken by the cost of care. they still won't give us anything to help. I'm not saying they should pay the amount we are, even if they offered us a care home within there trust anything would help. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

....you will find all the facts are in that website I provided. It has nothing to do with your parents income.
I have more of clue than someone who thinks £1000/wk is more than £4000 a month which you stated earlier and I ignored.
....you will find all the facts are in that website I provided. It has nothing to do with your parents income.
I have more of clue than someone who thinks £1000/wk is more than £4000 a month which you stated earlier and I ignored.

what? 1000k a week? I just said 3.4k? but anyway it's happening in my life not yours. :smile: I really don't care what you say! and no I didn't say it did? I said it has to do with my Grandads savings dispute there used up they still won't help. :smile: bye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got £83 a week, which is good, but one of my friends will be on £150 a week which is pretty damn depressing...
Original post by Conzy210
There's a finite amount of money, in an ideal world every student would get a huge student loan but we don't live in an ideal world. Your parents can afford to give you plenty while you're at university meaning that the government don't have to, and can better allocate their resources, my parents cannot and if my student loan didn't cover my accommodation etc I would not be going to university, simple as that.

I find the amount of rich kids in this thread winging hysterical, so **** if you don't get a few more grand to study, I haven't had a holiday in about 10 years, I've worked since I was 16 and for three short years I'm going to be better off than you yet you complain, it's laughable.

What's unfair is that the majority of people on full grant and loan seem to have tons of disposable money that they don't actually need. Why SHOULD you be better off, just because your parents earn less?
Original post by Conzy210
I'm not saying the system is perfect, far from it, it just gripes me to see people from families that can afford to support them at university complain.

The people who are well within their rights to complain are those people who have two working parents, with a mortgage, maybe a few other kids to support and don't receive much of a loan. The system has well and truly ****ed these people, but if you're in a family earning 100k and are annoyed because they're maybe not willing to give you what people on maximum loan receive I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

I have above £9000 a year after I receive my university bursary, however I still don't feel I'm going to be well off compared to some people and I certainly won't be able to save any, I'll be getting all my own books, clothes as well as paying my travel home etc but I understand this isn't the same for everyone who receives that much.

The biggest issue is that everyone's circumstances vary so much and that without a massively complex system that relies on people being 100% honest there isn't much Student Finance can do.

Because why should they have to? Just because they've worked hard rather than, say, not really tried hard and claimed benefits half their life, they not have to fork out extra money for their kids education?
The biggest injustice really is that grants are non-replayable. So basically, if your parents DO earn lots some of their tax is just being handed to students from low income backgrounds.
Original post by lascelles
I get a grant/loan of £7500, but my accommodation is £6330. The first term's rent is more than the first term's loan so I'm skint from the off. Luckily, I get a £1000 bursary from my uni, but I don't get the first instalment of that til December :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a ridiculous amount for accommodation, unless its catered I guess. If you don't have the money, find one thing cheaper - and most accommodation is cheaper!
I was left a flat in some old woman's will. I rent that out to people while I live on campus. So that's £700 per month I get for doing nothing. I also earn £400 per month on YouTube. I also work part-time, earning around £800 per month.

So in reality, I am living on around £500 p/w just off my own talent. With the Student Loan, I am on virtually £750 per week.

Don't tell the SLC. :biggrin:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I was left a flat in some old woman's will. I rent that out to people while I live on campus. So that's £700 per month I get for doing nothing. I also earn £400 per month on YouTube. I also work part-time, earning around £800 per month.

So in reality, I am living on around £500 p/w just off my own talent. With the Student Loan, I am on virtually £750 per week.

Don't tell the SLC. :biggrin:

:O why did you even take out a student loan?!
Original post by joker12345
:O why did you even take out a student loan?!

Cos it's basically free money. The SLC won't ever get it back anyway, as I am working abroad. MUGZ! :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending