The Student Room Group

TSR Guitar Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Here's a free lesson from one of the greats.
Anyone any experience with kit builds? Seen a couple of companies offering them pop up on my Facebook feed - I've not got the equipment to build from scratch (barely enough room in my flat for the necessary furniture, let alone adding a jig-saw), but fancy a kit as an alternative project.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Manitude
Well I'd spend most of my time with an 8 string playing stoner doom and drone so it feels like an appropriate description.

I still need to speak to my mate about starting up a sXe stoner doom band, it'd be hilarious. I think I'm gonna try and get a folk metal ish band going this term though. I've actually been asked to play in a power metal band but I'm not a shredder so I doubt it'll work too well.

sXe stoner doom sounds amazing pls make it happen.:biggrin:
Original post by HorrorBunny
sXe stoner doom sounds amazing pls make it happen.:biggrin:

It's been four years since I wrote that message, I'm still no closer to making a straightedge stoner doom band. Doesn't help that my only electric guitar is a strat which is pretty much the least doom-y guitar to have.
It's been four years since I wrote that message, I'm still no closer to making a straightedge stoner doom band. Doesn't help that my only electric guitar is a strat which is pretty much the least doom-y guitar to have.

Meanwhile I have my brother's second hand tanglewood. Fufufu. It's okay though.I am a punk guitarist. Could you borrow a friends or someone's guitar though?
Meanwhile I have my brother's second hand tanglewood. Fufufu. It's okay though.I am a punk guitarist. Could you borrow a friends or someone's guitar though?

It may please you to know that since my last post, I wrote and recorded most of a stoner doom song (I say "most" it's only 6:30 long at the moment so really only about half done!). Instead of using my strat I just used my bass for all the guitar parts. It worked pretty well, although some of it is a bit muddy because the bass has cheap pickups and I decided to record my amp with a microphone rather than an audio interface as I dialled in a great tone on my amp the other day and wanted to use it.
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/ssd1
I may do some guitar/synth/vocal work later, but this is the general idea. I like the riffs I've got going but it's not heavy enough in places, even with the bass.

Tanglewood make great guitars. I'm currently on my second acoustic by them (the first was stolen) and I've got one of their electric mandolins, too. I really wanted to get one of their LP style electrics a few years ago, but they're basically impossible to find these days.
My Charvel San Dimas needs a new pup selector switch but I can't be bothered doing the soldering (crap at it).
It may please you to know that since my last post, I wrote and recorded most of a stoner doom song (I say "most" it's only 6:30 long at the moment so really only about half done!). Instead of using my strat I just used my bass for all the guitar parts. It worked pretty well, although some of it is a bit muddy because the bass has cheap pickups and I decided to record my amp with a microphone rather than an audio interface as I dialled in a great tone on my amp the other day and wanted to use it.
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/ssd1
I may do some guitar/synth/vocal work later, but this is the general idea. I like the riffs I've got going but it's not heavy enough in places, even with the bass.

Tanglewood make great guitars. I'm currently on my second acoustic by them (the first was stolen) and I've got one of their electric mandolins, too. I really wanted to get one of their LP style electrics a few years ago, but they're basically impossible to find these days.

Wow, doom is basically the opposite of punk. I see why you used the bass. doom has some hideously low tunings.I'm broke so I just record stuff on my phone and it sounds gross. Vocals would be great unless you're doing instrumental stoner doom(haha). What are you going to do with the synth? The riffs are pretty badass i must admit.

I didn't know electric mandolin existed. XD I know electric violins do. It sucks that you got your guitar stolen but at least you got a new one. I have one of those too(shared with my bro) but I never use it.But yeah tanglewood guitars are pretty cool i agree.
.I'm broke so I just record stuff on my phone and it sounds gross.

As in phone mic, or one of those little adaptors to plug your guitar into a headphone jack? If the former I'd advise getting the latter - you can get a basic one for 5/6 quid off amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
As in phone mic, or one of those little adaptors to plug your guitar into a headphone jack? If the former I'd advise getting the latter - you can get a basic one for 5/6 quid off amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I use the Mic.I've been looking into getting one of those adaptors though because it would definitely sound way better with one.

Quick Reply

Latest