The Student Room Group

Cyclic anhydride recuction mechanism

Can someone please help me/give me some clues with this mechanism. Ive tried it a few times and cant do it :frown:

Untitled.png

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by DonnieBrasco
Can someone please help me/give me some clues with this mechanism. Ive tried it a few times and cant do it :frown:

Untitled.png

Thanks

Okay so I think the best way to rationalise this, as I can't see any other way of it happening is to use LiAlH4 to reduce 4 to a chain with an aldehyde and a carboxylic acid.

5 is of course an ester. One way of making esters is of course by using a alcohol and a carboxylic acid. So I further reduced to the the aldehyde to a primary alcohol. Then using acid converted the -OH into a water leaving group and then pushed the electrons from carboxylate anion to release the leaving group.

I'm not sure if that's right as I can't see any reason why LiAlH4 would selectively reduce the aldehyde only. But that's my attempt and maybe you'll crack it even further?

Untitled.png

Thanks

Original post by haydyb123
Okay so I think the best way to rationalise this, as I can't see any other way of it happening is to use LiAlH4 to reduce 4 to a chain with an aldehyde and a carboxylic acid.

5 is of course an ester. One way of making esters is of course by using a alcohol and a carboxylic acid. So I further reduced to the the aldehyde to a primary alcohol. Then using acid converted the -OH into a water leaving group and then pushed the electrons from carboxylate anion to release the leaving group.

I'm not sure if that's right as I can't see any reason why LiAlH4 would selectively reduce the aldehyde only. But that's my attempt and maybe you'll crack it even further?

Your way looks right to me. The aldehyde would be selectively reduced as the R-COO- group is poorly electrophilic by comparison.
You then have a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. Ring close to give the lactone by acid catalysed condensation.
Reply 3
Original post by haydyb123

OK thanks! So does this look right?

photo (4).jpg
OK thanks! So does this look right?

photo (4).jpg

Ring closing is wrong. Alcohol will attack the carbonyl (Which will be activated by acid) rather than a non nucleophilic carboxylate anion kicking out the poor leaving group OH-
Reply 5
Original post by JMaydom
Ring closing is wrong. Alcohol will attack the carbonyl (Which will be activated by acid) rather than a non nucleophilic carboxylate anion kicking out the poor leaving group OH-

But then you get this don't you?

photo (5).jpg
Reply 6
But then you get this don't you?

photo (5).jpg

-You lost a carbon atom somewhere
-You moved an oxygen atom from one carbon to another

Fix that and it's correct

Quick Reply

Latest