The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry interview questions

Hey guys! If it’s possible, could you make a list of possible questions for chemistry at Oxford so I can have a practice at them??

Anything that is Oxford chemistry style will be highly appreciated!

Thank you so much :smile:)
Original post by ilovechemistry69
Hey guys! If it’s possible, could you make a list of possible questions for chemistry at Oxford so I can have a practice at them??

Anything that is Oxford chemistry style will be highly appreciated!

Thank you so much :smile:)

I unfortunately cannot share any questions I was actually asked as that would be a breach of the code of conduct, but I can make up a few interview-style opening questions*. The way in which you answer these will ultimately determine the direction in which the interview goes:

*Okay, the orgo one is probably more like something you’d be given in the middle of an interview. I also realise the choices of reagents may throw some of you off, so an alternative and more accessible form of the question has been included in a spoiler.

Inorganic:

Suppose I had separate, unlabelled samples of sodium chloride, potassium chloride, potassium sulphate and anhydrous copper sulphate - all of which are solids. How might I be able to distinguish between them using only chemical tests?

Organic:

2-aminoethanol can react with ethanoic anhydride under different conditions.

If you to react one mole of it with one mole of ethanoic anhydride and excess sodium carbonate, you would form CH3CONHCH2CH2OH.

If you react one mole of it with HCl, then react it with one mole of ethanoic anhydride, you would form a salt with the formula NH3CH2CH2OOCCH3Cl

Why is this the case?

Spoiler

Physical:

Estimate the number of molecules of oxygen in the room you are currently in.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd

I unfortunately cannot share any questions I was actually asked as that would be a breach of the code of conduct, but I can make up a few interview-style opening questions*. The way in which you answer these will ultimately determine the direction in which the interview goes:

*Okay, the orgo one is probably more like something you’d be given in the middle of an interview. I also realise the choices of reagents may throw some of you off, so an alternative and more accessible form of the question has been included in a spoiler.

Inorganic:

Suppose I had separate, unlabelled samples of sodium chloride, potassium chloride, potassium sulphate and anhydrous copper sulphate - all of which are solids. How might I be able to distinguish between them using only chemical tests?

Organic:

If you to react one mole of it with one mole of ethanoic anhydride and excess sodium carbonate, you would form CH3CONHCH2CH2OH.

If you react one mole of it with HCl, then react it with one mole of ethanoic anhydride, you would form a salt with the formula NH3CH2CH2OOCCH3Cl

Why is this the case?

Spoiler

Physical:

Do you have the answers for these?
Original post by Sakai04
Do you have the answers for these?

There are answers that I am expecting (and I also recognise there may be things I will have missed that you may bring up), but I’d prefer that they weren’t put up publicly (i.e I’ll happily discuss them via PM’s).
Reply 4
There are answers that I am expecting (and I also recognise there may be things I will have missed that you may bring up), but I’d prefer that they weren’t put up publicly (i.e I’ll happily discuss them via PM’s).

hey could you send me a pm as my account is new so i have to wait 3 days before being able to pm. i got some questions and ideas about the questions
Reply 5

Inorganic:

Organic:

Why is this the case?

Spoiler

Physical:

hi ive sent my answers in a pm, sorry for the late reply
Original post by rzem
hi ive sent my answers in a pm, sorry for the late reply

I’ve seen.

I’m putting together feedback now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending