The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by joostan
True enough :smile:

I'd go back a step before the fraction -it's the right idea up until then :smile:

Yeah defo, moving the log back to the x :smile: wow it took me the same time the exam lasts for 1 log question x_x and with hints from you LOOL :ashamed:
Original post by reubenkinara

I hate geometry!!

Original post by joostan
You and me both :tongue:

Why the hate on geometry? :frown: I agree that the addition angle formulae is fiddly but some other geometric theorems are absolutely gorgeous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
Yeah defo, moving the log back to the x :smile: wow it took me the same time the exam lasts for 1 log question x_x and with hints from you LOOL :ashamed:

Lol, your attention isn't distracted in an exam :smile:
Original post by Scientific Eye
Why the hate on geometry? :frown: I agree that the addition angle formulae is fiddly but some other geometric theorems are absolutely gorgeous.

Have you tried problem 53 on the STEP questions thread, that alone is reason enough to hate geometry, though the proof of the bond angles in chemical compounds is pretty cool :lol: :smile:
Reply 1984
Original post by joostan
Lol, your attention isn't distracted in an exam :smile:
I guess so!! Haha love bond angels, ima go eat then I'll finish the equation
Original post by joostan
Have you tried problem 53 on the STEP questions thread, that alone is reason enough to hate geometry, though the proof of the bond angles in chemical compounds is pretty cool :lol: :smile:

No, you guys scared me by your talk of it.
Original post by Scientific Eye
No, you guys scared me by your talk of it.

:laugh: Yes but you don't hate geometry :tongue:

Original post by tigerz
I guess so!! Haha love bond angels, ima go eat then I'll finish the equation

Good luck. :ahee:
Original post by tigerz
Yeah lol, sleepy writers tut tut

Haha I hope that's what it was :tongue:
Reply 1988
Original post by joostan
:laugh: Yes but you don't hate geometry :tongue:

Good luck. :ahee:

aha thanks :smile: let me try it out, just to clarify, 2x/x=2?

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Haha I hope that's what it was :tongue:

haha yup, or they made a typo! :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
aha thanks :smile: let me try it out, just to clarify, 2x/x=2?

Yep :smile:
Original post by tigerz

haha yup, or they made a typo! :P

That's an aweful lot of mistakes :wink:
Reply 1991
Original post by mynameisntbobk
That's an aweful lot of mistakes :wink:

Yup, they probably got someone like me to do it! And thanks joostan struggling with this to ...:s
Original post by tigerz
Yup, they probably got someone like me to do it! And thanks joostan struggling with this to ...:s

Whasup? :smile:
WOW!!

im not allowed to say anything about the exam : http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/maths/mathsc/Pages/default.aspx
Wooooohooooooooooo only maths and economics in my life now, bye history
Reply 1995
Original post by joostan
Whasup? :smile:

I think I just got it d/w I was being silly haha...

xlog32+1=2x+log35log32+1=2x+log35x x\log_{3}2+1=2x+log_{3}5 \rightarrow log_{3}2+1=\frac{2x+log_{3}5}{x}

log32+1=2+log35xlog321=log35x\rightarrow log_{3}2+1=2+\frac{log_{3}5}{x} \rightarrow log_{3}2-1=\frac{log_{3}5}{x}

xlog321=log35x=log35log321 \rightarrow xlog_{3}2-1=log_{3}5 \rightarrow x=\frac{log_{3}5}{log_{3}2-1}

I went a "slightly" overboard (as I do with 'show that questions') haha...to think I only learnt how to use latex yesterday
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Can you do it like that?

My first method wouldn't actually work because you would end up with d2y/d2x.

The second method works.

What board is this for? I'm doing MEI and have never been asked a question like that in any past papers or when I took the exam.
Original post by tigerz
I think I just got it d/w I was being silly haha...

xlog32+1=2x+log35log32+1=2x+log35x x\log_{3}2+1=2x+log_{3}5 \rightarrow log_{3}2+1=\frac{2x+log_{3}5}{x}

log32+1=2+log35xlog321=log35x\rightarrow log_{3}2+1=2+\frac{log_{3}5}{x} \rightarrow log_{3}2-1=\frac{log_{3}5}{x}

xlog321=log35x=log35log321 \rightarrow xlog_{3}2-1=log_{3}5 \rightarrow x=\frac{log_{3}5}{log_{3}2-1}

I went a "slightly" overboard (as I do with 'show that questions') haha...to think I only learnt how to use latex yesterday

Seems legit, :biggrin: I'd have factored out the x, rather than playing with the division, and maybe put some brackets around the LHS in the first line, but otherwise, a good solution.
:congrats: +rep :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
I've just done a trapezium rule question on a C2 paper, and it didn't state how many decimal places/significant figures they wanted the answer. I normally just leave it as it is (I got 11.419) but the mark scheme says 11.42 cao, can someone tell me what 'cao' means, and would I lose a mark for not rounding?
Original post by Westeros
I've just done a trapezium rule question on a C2 paper, and it didn't state how many decimal places/significant figures they wanted the answer. I normally just leave it as it is (I got 11.419) but the mark scheme says 11.42 cao, can someone tell me what 'cao' means, and would I lose a mark for not rounding?

Cao means correct answer only.
I'd usually go to 3sf, maybe 2dp if it rounds nicely, unless otherwise specified :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending