The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by krishkmistry
This is me now - I've got core 2 and I've done past papers for it and I know the content fairly well but idk when it comes to the exam questions I feel lost and I really want an A in this exam - has anyone got any tips on how to specifically do well in core 2 please ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the mixed exercises fully they are usually harder than exam questions so if any hard question came up you would know how to solve it. I suggest also doing some Solomon c2 papers as well. For example i did most Solomon for c1 and all past papers and when the exam came i was laughing at it because i was expecting harder questions. For c2 though it might be a little bit more tricky and definitely checkout chapter 2 you will need it for radian questions. Make sure you know how to do differentiation questions part a with the shapes and prove whatever they ask you. Good luck i will be sitting c2 too :biggrin:
Original post by DJMayes
I only wish I could get a couple out of the way early...

(Currently fuming. Did a STEP question which explicitly asked for a volume of revolution formed about the line y = -1 but the solution did it about the x-axis...)

Yeah same here, I could easily sit C4, FP2, C3 and a Chemistry unit too next week if I was allowed but instead I've got to wait quite a while, it's quite annoying and why would the solution do it about the x-axis though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by Physicist26
I Did AQA core 2 and core 1 resit on Monday, and i think it went quite well,
What about everyone else?

Is AQA C2 syllabus much different from Edexcel's ?
Reply 783
Original post by shyamshah
Well done! :wink:

Cheers good luck with yours :smile:
Reply 784
Original post by MAyman12
I'm sure the grade boundaries for M1 are going to be lowered, as some of my very able/intelligent friends messed up this paper too. Hopefully it's all going to be nice.

Yup same happened at me school, only two people (myself and 1 person who thinks he got 70/75) did well, my friend who practiced the exam in class and at home found it really tricky (the moments and suvat) and hes quite smart so I'd expect probably 59/75 for an A (though that is a bit of bias, a lot of the FM class crumbled to that paper)
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks, it's all going to go my way and I'll get the A*'s to get into Warwick with quite a few 100's too! :biggrin: Then there is always AEA and STEP that'll most likely bring me crashing down to reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I would be as confident as you. I lost my confidence two days ago.
Original post by joostan
Cheers good luck with yours :smile:

Thank you :wink:
Original post by Robbie242
Yup same happened at me school, only two people (myself and 1 person who thinks he got 70/75) did well, my friend who practiced the exam in class and at home found it really tricky (the moments and suvat) and hes quite smart so I'd expect probably 59/75 for an A (though that is a bit of bias, a lot of the FM class crumbled to that paper)

It's weird how I knew the answers to all questions right after exiting the exam hall:confused:

I would say 56/75 for an A but I know that it's impossible.
(edited 10 years ago)
I wish I would be as confident as you. I lost my confidence two days ago.

You really need to let it go and just move and focus about your other exams, we all have bad days and nobody is perfect so I wouldn't really worry about it, plus you're in Year 10!! At that age I wasn't the best at that level, let alone A level! It's quite an achievement that you're doing it so early, just show them what you're made of in the rest :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
It's weird how I knew the answers to all questions right after exiting the exam hall:confused:

I had 3 minutes left, probably should've gone back to the lift question but its too late now!. It depends honestly, if the known combo kills people i.e. suvat, exerted on pulley (maybe parallel vectors?) and Moments went bad nationally then I'd expect a boundary like that
I had 3 minutes left, probably should've gone back to the lift question but its too late now!. It depends honestly, if the known combo kills people i.e. suvat, exerted on pulley (maybe parallel vectors?) and Moments went bad nationally then I'd expect a boundary like that

Moments.:broken:
Reply 791
Moments.:broken:

Moments without a doubt shortly followed by suvat then the lift I reckon

Don't bet on that boundary, else you may be disappointed come results day...

(Speaking from experience after I really hoped that M2 was going to be lower than it turned out to be.)

Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah same here, I could easily sit C4, FP2, C3 and a Chemistry unit too next week if I was allowed but instead I've got to wait quite a while, it's quite annoying and why would the solution do it about the x-axis though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The solution clearly didn't read the question, but it explicitly states about the line y=-1. Ah well, I've done some complex loci since which always puts people in a good mood.
Reply 793
Original post by DJMayes
Don't bet on that boundary, else you may be disappointed come results day...

(Speaking from experience after I really hoped that M2 was going to be lower than it turned out to be.)

The solution clearly didn't read the question, but it explicitly states about the line y=-1. Ah well, I've done some complex loci since which always puts people in a good mood.

I'm at about 63/75 from Arsey's markscheme, so it's in the balance, do edexcel go above or below 63 and do I get any error carried forward marks. I'm fine now though, my two most dreaded exams history and economics going well have balanced my disappointment from Monday
Original post by DJMayes

I see, did you point it out in the solution thread for them to correct? And it's quite nice although I must say I don't like drawing some of them out, just drawing anything in general for Maths doesn't really go down well with me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
i thought it was quite an easy paper? going from the model answers i'd say i got 72/75 minimum due to using 0.6T instead of 0.8T on question 3 aha
Reply 796

not impossible, both m1 papers in 2009 were below that (49 and 55). I need 76 ums to take pressure off c4 and think I got between 50/55 marks, so hoping for boundries around there.
In S2 are we expected to interpolate and if not will I get the marks if I do ?
Original post by LCB123
not impossible, both m1 papers in 2009 were below that (49 and 55). I need 76 ums to take pressure off c4 and think I got between 50/55 marks, so hoping for boundries around there.

Sorry but Jan 2009 M1 was actually a hard paper throughout! that's the exception.
Reply 799
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Sorry but Jan 2009 M1 was actually a hard paper throughout! that's the exception.

Why do people keep saying this, unless you mean contextually back then, I went through the M1 Jan 2009 paper and dropped 5marks for the exerted on pulley question and nothing else (blind as well) and one of the first papers I did... It wasn't that hard of a paper and losing the pulley question still got you full ums...

I felt this one was around the same difficulty. If anything I thought jan13 was the hardest paper so far
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending