The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Felix Felicis
Why is that out of interest?

It's just the place Cambridge itself, the people, the maths course and everything all comes together to be the perfect place, whilst Oxford just doesn't really seem to appeal to me for some reason
Original post by SDavis123
Guys how do you get rid of cos.x.sin.x. To get a term in cos?

I'm referring to 9i from C3 jan 09 where I have to prove cos.3x=4cos^3.x.-3cos.x.

This is what I've done so far

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You've expanded (2sinθcosθ)sinθ(2 \sin \theta \cos \theta)\sin \theta incorrectly.

It should be:

2sin2θcosθ2 \sin^2 \theta \cos \theta. You've got an extra sinθ\sin \theta for some reason. :smile:

See if you can go on now. :smile:
Original post by joostan
I thought applying to Trinity

I'd hate to be at Trinity for maths :redface: Imagine being in the same college as the entire UK IMO team and several international IMOers :redface: I'd feel like an infant :rofl:
Original post by Robbie242
Hmm yeah but I really wanted to go Cambridge rather than Oxford

Ah, I see...
I'd hate to be at Trinity for maths :redface: Imagine being in the same college as the entire UK IMO team and several international IMOers :redface: I'd feel like an infant :rofl:

Presumably you'd be an IMOer yourself to get in in the first place, so that'd be a great thing!
Original post by PrinceyJ
Presumably you'd be an IMOer yourself to get in in the first place, so that'd be a great thing!

Not necessarily - there are a lot of people on TSR who I've seen have Trinity offers and none of them are IMO. xD
Original post by Robbie242
Hmm yeah but I really wanted to go Cambridge rather than Oxford

Also, if I'm right, Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs.
Not necessarily - there are a lot of people on TSR who I've seen have Trinity offers and none of them are IMO. xD

Haven't you just contradicted yourself? hahaha.

The majority of the maths people aren't in trinity anyway.

No...you don't necessarily have to be of IMO standard to get in to Trinity but once you're there, I'm saying, you'll be living with people on the same course as you who are in just a completely different league to you...I dunno, I just find the prospect of that to be demoralising. xD

I know, but most of the highest caliber ones will undoubtedly be :redface:

How so? He says that while it's not necessary to be an IMO (or of that standard) to gain entry, a significant proportion of the students will be in a different league.
Original post by reubenkinara
Also, if I'm right, Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs.

Yes, but if your AS UMS isn't that high, Oxford may be the place to apply for - you can still control how things go if you do well on the MAT
Yes, but if your AS UMS isn't that high, Oxford may be the place to apply for - you can still control how things go if you do well on the MAT

I see! What college are you considering? Pembroke, like many others?
I see! What college are you considering? Pembroke, like many others?

Almost definitely Pembroke but I have a few others in mind...:wink:
How so? He says that while it's not necessary to be an IMO (or of that standard) to gain entry, a significant proportion of the students will be in a different league.

Not a direct contradiction but he basically hints that he'd be the odd one out and then says that loads of non-IMO people go there too.
Almost definitely Pembroke but I have a few others in mind...:wink:

I'm not 100% sure where I'll apply. But I'll definitely make an application to a college as opposed to an open one :smile:.
If I self-studied D1 to replace M1. Could successive mechanics modules be cashed in for further maths or do you need to have done them in order?

Is the MAT like STEP I? apparently Imperial now want you to either do the MAT, or STEP II/III :colonhash:
I'm not 100% sure where I'll apply. But I'll definitely make an application to a college as opposed to an open one :smile:.
If I self-studied D1 to replace M1. Could successive mechanics modules be cashed in for further maths or do you need to have done them in order?

You mean, say, can you use M1, M2, M3 for further maths? Your board will arrange your applied modules to give you the best grade for maths then further maths - DJMayes posted a while ago about it on this thread - see if you can dig that up.
(edited 10 years ago)
You mean, say, can you use M1, M2, M3 for further maths? Your board will arrange your applied modules to give you the best score for maths then further maths - DJMayes posted a while ago about it on this thread - see if you can dig that up.

Oh, I know I can do that :smile:
I mean Could M1 be completely disregarded. Could I use D1, M2, M3. With M1 not used for anything.
You mean, say, can you use M1, M2, M3 for further maths? Your board will arrange your applied modules to give you the best score for maths then further maths - DJMayes posted a while ago about it on this thread - see if you can dig that up.

Just a small thing, but I think it's best grade they get you to in maths first.
Original post by justinawe
Is the MAT like STEP I? apparently Imperial now want you to either do the MAT, or STEP II/III :colonhash:

I find the MAT significantly easier than STEP I :dontknow: I'll sit STEP II/III next year anyway, regardless of whether I get into Cambridge, sooooo :biggrin:

Hmm, do you need to be an Oxford applicant to take the MAT? :curious:

Latest

Trending

Trending