The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Is it true Angle doesn't really want to be there any more and wants to try MMA out?
whats MMA?
gunners r us
whats MMA?

MMA = mixed martial arts. It's billed by some as the 'real' (i.e. non-scripted) alternative to wrestling. They basically get 2 blokes in a cage (often octagon shaped) and they fight it out any way they see fit. The most famous MMA company is the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships). To be honest, I don't watch it that much, and that's really all I know... except for the facts that MMA is where Ken Shamrock started, and Brock Lesnar has started doing MMA.
I've seen some UFC and its kind of boring - inc a Shamrock match (one of his most famous apparently) - it doesnt have all the high flying and out of ring action the WWE has of course.
Reply 584
how the **** is WWE under sports? its a fake, staged and scripted form of entertainment! please, sumone put this under entertainment or whatever, just not sport
Jonas13
how the **** is WWE under sports? its a fake, staged and scripted form of entertainment! please, sumone put this under entertainment or whatever, just not sport

The amount of athleticism and sheer talent required to be a WWE wrestler more than justifies this thread belonging under sports. Furthermore, there's a very real sense of competition in WWE: competition to perform the best, to put on a good match, to come up with the best 'spots' and finishers.
Reply 586
all i know is real sports are decided with talent, skill and athleticism. not with a script and a boardroom of directors. Yeah, they get themselves in shape, but do they put themselves to the test? they KNOW whos gonna win, its all acting
Reply 587
C'mon they do have a lot of talent and they are athletic and they do suffer injuries and also I don't think the board of directors have much say in who wins a match.
Jonas13
all i know is real sports are decided with talent, skill and athleticism. not with a script and a boardroom of directors. Yeah, they get themselves in shape, but do they put themselves to the test? they KNOW whos gonna win, its all acting

If talent, skill and athleticism are your defining characteristics of a 'sport', then professional wrestling must, by your own definition, be a sport because each of these as very evident in professional wrestling. Just because there's a script and a board of directors (who, by the way, have little to do with daily operations), why do you imply that this means there cannot be talent, skill and athleticism on display? Your point doesn't really make sense. Do they put themselves to the test? YES. Easy, next question please.
RIP Sherri Russell (aka Sherri Martel).
Reply 590
lol, fair enuff miss.
u still watch WWE, i gotta know how old are you? lol
Jonas13
lol, fair enuff miss.
u still watch WWE, i gotta know how old are you? lol

I realise that question isn't aimed at me, but I had to answer anyway.

I'm 22. What's your point?

Actually, let's skip that bit and let me hazard a guess that you find it funny that I watch WWE because you can't understand why someone would like something that is blatantly fake, well, let me enlighten you.

I'll explain with an analogy. Is it laughable that people watch Eastenders, Corrie, or any TV show despite obviously knowing that it's not 'real'? Likewise, it is laughable that people go to the cinema or theatre or watch a magic show (which is perhaps the best analogy)? Of course not, because whether what is happening is 'real' is irrelevant: what matters is something else, maybe an emotional connection with the characters, or the pleasure of high quality acting. When someone watches a magic show, the fact that the woman is obviously not being sawn in half, or hasn't just vanished, is totally irrelevant, and knowing this fact doesn't ruin anyone's enjoyment. With wrestling fans, nobody over the age of 8 who watches it honestly thinks it's real, that's not the point, the point is that they admire the levels of athleticism, skill and dedication which are way beyond levels you or I could hope to replicate. That's what matters - the script is irrelevant.
Excellent points Greyhound, Jonas clearly has no clue and as you pointed out basically pushed wrestling into the 'sport' category while trying to push it out lol.
I've watched wrestling since 1998, now 18. It's scripted, yea, but as you said and as the Rock said (come back, please...with all the injuries, we need everybody) it doesn't matter!

Oh and The Great Khali is the new World Heavyweight Champion. Edge is out for four months. Please don't cry too much, though it's hard. Batista or Kane better win this Sunday, or Mysterio better make a shock return. Khali? Why? Why?
Reply 593
THe point is that there's nothing wrong with watching WWE if it were good (when Austin, The Rock, etc were in their primes around 1999-2003) when it was fantastic. But now it's very predictable and boring. You wouldn't watch a rubbish soap so why watch WWE now?
A lot of people like what they grew up with. I started to fade away from WWE when every new wrestler was all muscle. I don't need 25 Lex Lugers - he was enough. The theme tune to The Nasty Boys rocked. :cool:
Jonas13

Real sports are also dealing with the ugly sides.
mrsmann
THe point is that there's nothing wrong with watching WWE if it were good (when Austin, The Rock, etc were in their primes around 1999-2003) when it was fantastic. But now it's very predictable and boring. You wouldn't watch a rubbish soap so why watch WWE now?

I agree, though I think it went downhill even sooner than 2003. Maybe because I was a massive Foley fan, I stopped watching in either 2000 or 2001...

For some reason I felt the urge to watch a little a night or two ago though, Khali is MASSIVE, but I never get on with the actual wrestling of big people, I'll only like them if they happen to be insanely cool like old kane (with mask) or undertaker (gothic)... they never seem to have many moves.
Reply 597
Funnily enough I watched it a couple of days ago too. Yeah Khalia is huge, and he did seem slightly entertaining. there's another guy that looks like Rikishi called Umaga or something who is cool.

I always hated Foley. Especially when I thought it was real when he was fightign Undertaker as Mankind! Those were the days. i loved it back then.
mrsmann
Funnily enough I watched it a couple of days ago too. Yeah Khalia is huge, and he did seem slightly entertaining. there's another guy that looks like Rikishi called Umaga or something who is cool.

I always hated Foley. Especially when I thought it was real when he was fightign Undertaker as Mankind! Those were the days. i loved it back then.

How could you hate Foley?!

The man was a legend...
In order to get some discussion going here in the WWE Society, I thought I would propose a series of essay titles and people could choose which one they want me to write. They would be extended essays, written by me on subjects which hopefully every wrestling fan can take an interest in.

Proposed titles are:

'Hitting It Big: The John Cena Project 2002-Present Day'
'Picture Perfect: The Biggest and Best Rivalry in Wrestling,Rock/Austin 1997-2003'
'Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? Batista: An Animal Analysed'

If you would like to see a particular one written then post a reply with your preference. If there isn't a consenus, I may choose to write all of them as they are all very interesting to me lol.

Let's generate some posts on here guys!!

Latest