The Student Room Group

OCR Latin Language 5th June 2013 Mark Scheme

Thought we could make an unofficial mark scheme for the second language paper on here. I'll start with what I can remember, but keep adding your ideas and corrections.

Comprehension

1. What three things do we learn?

He was an excellent young man (not sure)

He was the son of a very famous father

He was made a tribune

2. What contrast between his character and his actions do we see?
He had many strengths, but he led the city of Rome into very great danger.

3. What were his new laws for?
To give fields to the poor citizens

4.Which phrase shows he had a lot of support?
Latin - multi ei favebant
English - many were favouring him

5. Why were the senators angry
Because he had not asked them for their advice

6. What did the senators learn?
That Gracchus and his compaions had come together at the Capitol

7. What did they consider next?
What they ought to do

Translation
The consul Scipio was afraid that Gracchus would destroy the whole empire of the senators. And so he encouraged everyone to save Rome. With this having been heard, the senators hurried to the Capitol carrying weapons. Gracchus and his friends were preparing everything to resist them. But the senators attacked them so fiercely that very many fled, having been terrified. The others, who had defended Gracchus with the greatest courage, were soon overcome.

When Gracchus, running from the Capitol, fell to the ground by chance, Lucius Rufus wounded him with a sword as he was trying to get up. In this way, because he received the most serious wound, he suffered a cruel death. On the same day, his body was thrown into a river.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Few things wrong here, I think :smile:
1. Rather than 'he had a lot of courage'- he had many strengths
2. 'because he had not asked them for their plan"-> "because he had not asked for their advice"
3. "senate of the empire"-> "rule of the senators"
4. "The others who Gracchus had defended..." -> "the others, who had defended Gracchus..."
Reply 2
Original post by R_L_W
Few things wrong here, I think :smile:
1. Rather than 'he had a lot of courage'- he had many strengths
2. 'because he had not asked them for their plan"-> "because he had not asked for their advice"
3. "senate of the empire"-> "rule of the senators"
4. "The others who Gracchus had defended..." -> "the others, who had defended Gracchus..."

I changed 1, 2 and 4. I made a mistake with 3 because I was typing quite fast. But it was meant to be empire of the sentae, because it said imperium or something like that?
Reply 3
Original post by kavym
Thought we could make an unofficial mark scheme for the second language paper on here. I'll start with what I can remember, but keep adding your ideas and corrections.

Comprehension

1. What three things do we learn?

He was a great young man (not sure)

He was the very famous son of his father

He was made a tribune

2. What contrast between his character and his actions do we see?
He had many strengths, but he led the city of Rome into very great danger.

3. What were his new laws for?
To give fields to the poor citizens

4.Which phrase shows he had a lot of support?
Latin - multi ei favebant
English - many were favouring him

5. Why were the senators angry
Because he had not asked them for their advice

6. What did the senators learn?
That Gracchus and his compaions had come together at the Capitol

7. What did they consider next?
What they ought to do

Translation
The consul Scipio was afraid that Gracchus would destroy the whole empire of the senate. And so he encouraged everyone to save Rome. Having heard this, the senators hurried to the Capitol carrying weapons. Gracchus and all of his friends were preparing to resist them. But the senators attacked them so fiercely that very many fled, having been terrified. The others, who had defended Gracchus with the greatest courage, were soon overcome.

When Gracchus, running from the Capitol, fell to the ground by chance, Lucius Rufus wounded him with a sword as he was trying to get up. Then, because he received the most serious wound, he suffered a cruel death. On the same day, his body was thrown into a river.

It is quite impressive that you managed to remember this all.

I thought that these were some things that may have been wrong:

He was an excellent young man - Optimus/optime (not sure which one)
He was the son of a very famous father - I think it was filius, which is nominative. Patri was the father, that's group 3 dat, there is some type of special rule rated to this.

He was made a tribune

The consul Scipio was afraid that Gracchus would destroy the whole empire of the senators
- it was senatorum I think.

With this having been heard this, the senators hurried to the Capitol carrying weapons - Quo facto, this is a Latin phrase with the facto being p.p.p

In this way, because he received the most serious wound, he suffered a cruel death. - it was 'hoc modo'.
For my Translation, for quo audito I said: 'with which having been heard' as its abl. abs. and also have to use which as its not with this as it is quo not hic!
Also for the 'vulnere gravissimo accepto' that was also an abl. abs. so: with the very serious wound having been accepted :smile:
also sorry! its not carrying weapons its bringing as it was ferrens not portare... :P AND hahah, its Gracchus and his friends were preparing everthing, not Gracchus and all his friends :smile: :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for posting this. I'll look through your post in a second to see if there's anything that can be improved on.

Original post by Language-Girl
also sorry! its not carrying weapons its bringing as it was ferrens not portare... :P AND hahah, its Gracchus and his friends were preparing everthing, not Gracchus and all his friends :smile: :biggrin:

'fero' can mean bring; carry; bear, so I also wrote carrying. :smile:

Agreed with point 2 :smile:
Also I said for the comprehension that Gracchus had not asked for their plan (instead of advice) would that be ok? :wink:
Original post by Pingui
It is quite impressive that you managed to remember this all.

I thought that these were some things that may have been wrong:

He was an excellent young man - Optimus/optime (not sure which one)
He was the son of a very famous father - I think it was filius, which is nominative. Patri was the father, that's group 3 dat, there is some type of special rule rated to this.

He was made a tribune

The consul Scipio was afraid that Gracchus would destroy the whole empire of the senators
- it was senatorum I think.

With this having been heard this, the senators hurried to the Capitol carrying weapons - Quo facto, this is a Latin phrase with the facto being p.p.p

In this way, because he received the most serious wound, he suffered a cruel death. - it was 'hoc modo'.

---> sorry also for comprehension 2) I put courage not strength?
---> sorry also for comprehension 2) I put courage not strength?

Hmm not sure about this. It was virtutes which is plural, and courage can't become plural- my teacher said this could be a bit iffy the day before, but he said that they might allow it. I went for virtues :smile:
I think I agree with everyone else's posts unless I've said otherwise :smile:

Does anyone know how many marks Question 5 was worth? I think I may have made a few mistakes but I can't remember my answer.
Reply 11
Original post by TelephoneBox
I think I agree with everyone else's posts unless I've said otherwise :smile:

Does anyone know how many marks Question 5 was worth? I think I may have made a few mistakes but I can't remember my answer.

I'm pretty sure Question 5 was worth about 2 marks, though I can't be sure. :smile:
For my Translation, for quo audito I said: 'with which having been heard' as its abl. abs. and also have to use which as its not with this as it is quo not hic!
Also for the 'vulnere gravissimo accepto' that was also an abl. abs. so: with the very serious wound having been accepted :smile:

You can't start a sentence with 'With which having been heard'. Ab abs have to be translated idiomatically.

And I would say it's having been received; accepting a wound doesn't really make sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Also I said for the comprehension that Gracchus had not asked for their plan (instead of advice) would that be ok? :wink:

That's fine, plan/idea/advice are all OCR definitions for consilium. :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks guys.. kind of realise how badly I've messed up this exam now. oops...:eek:
When Gracchus, running from the Capitol, fell to the ground by chance, Lucius Rufus wounded him with a sword as he was trying to get up.

how many marks is this worth?

A* boundary anyone?
Original post by BellaDeD
I'm pretty sure Question 5 was worth about 2 marks, though I can't be sure. :smile:

That's put me in a much better state of mind if that's the case. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 17
how is everyone feeling for the prose exam next friday?? i think i'm more nervous for verse!!
Original post by Shaz xx
how is everyone feeling for the prose exam next friday?? i think i'm more nervous for verse!!

Very confident with prose. I'm doing the Apuleius and Pliny selection so I've finished Apuleius three times now, so need to make sure Pliny is up to scratch! You?
Reply 19
Original post by thelyphron
That's fine, plan/idea/advice are all OCR definitions for consilium. :smile:

was it written as 'consilium?', cos thats the nominative form, so i put, 'the plan was not made for the senators.'

peto, can mean - beg for, seek for, attack, make for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending