The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Revent
Well, after having a look, I've decided that the Haswell chip just doesn't sell to me like the previous versions screamed BUY ME :lol:

So I've decided I'm just going to get a Macbook Pro and manage on a normal quad core desktop. :erm:

BUT, my mum still wants me to upgrade the current PC a little bit.

So at the moment, I've got:

Asus P6T
i7 930 @3.8 Ghz (1 ghz overclock)
3x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
R6850 Cyclone
Acer V243HI Monitor

I think that's all the important stuff :tongue: I've got a really good PSU, a Silverstone 850W so that's not an issue. :smile:

I want to buy more RAM for this build and was wondering which one I should buy. I ideally want AT LEAST 10GB. Bear in mind, one of my slots doesn't work. Shall I just get the XMS3 again? :smile:

I also want to get another monitor. Any advice there? I want to be able to hook them both up to my GPU so I can get dual display. :smile: I need a really sharp display that gives top notch quality pictures on the screen so that it makes editing on Photoshop easier. I am willing to spend up to £350-£400 on a good monitor for quality to be honest, that's one thing I definitely don't want to sacrifice on!

Will my GPU be good enough for both monitors at max resolution as well? :smile:

Thanks! Also, if you know anything about rechargable wireless keyboards and mice, please do share :biggrin: but I'm looking for those anyway because I had some old lying around in the basement :colondollar:

If you want a really good monitor the Dell Ultrasharp range are pretty much the best consumer/small enterprise level monitors out there. The 6850 will be able to handle photoshop stuff easy, but you probably wont be able to do any serious gaming at 2560x1600.
Reply 81
Original post by Sincelastsummer
If anyone could shed some light for me;

I'm going to be studying Computer Animation this Sept, and need a brand new Desktop,

Im a gamer, more TF2, but wouldn't mind being able to play BF3 & Skyrim if possible,

I would prefer 16GB Ram, and 2/4GB dedicated on the GFX card,

A soundcard would be liked, but not a deal breaker,

Not sure on a budget, but £550?

i know custom building is money saving, but my parents are paying for this, and they want warranty, and not me accidentally ruining a processor worth £100+

ATM, I'm talking to an eBay company about tweaking the Gfx card up a few grades;

Now With All The Following FREE Upgrades & Games!
Kingston Hyper X BEAST 1600Mhz RAM Upgrade
AMD FX6300 CPU Running at 4.0GHz Upgrade
Bioshock Infinite Game
Assassins Creed 3 Game
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Game
Tomb Raider Game

AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 6 Core Processor / CPU running at a blistering 3.8Ghz!
16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
AMD / ATi HD 7750 Graphics Card With 1GB Dedicated DDR3 Graphics Memory
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
24x DVD-RW Optical Disc Drive
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
High Quality Vantage RED Desktop PC Gaming Case with 3 x RED LED Fans
Powerfull 650 Watt PSU With Quiet 120mm Cooling Fan
Gigabit LAN
2 X Ultra High Speed USB 3.0 Ports on Back
4 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back PLUS Additional 2 On Top
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X IDE Port (Supports up to 2 devices)
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
1 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port
1 x HDMI Port (With Audio Passthrough Support)

Any advice, ice checked over the 6300 processor, and it's generally i5's underdog

Your right, that graphics card really wont be able to handle any serious gaming.

I'm going to be studying Computer Animation this Sept, and need a brand new Desktop,

Im a gamer, more TF2, but wouldn't mind being able to play BF3 & Skyrim if possible,

i know custom building is money saving, but my parents are paying for this, and they want warranty, and not me accidentally ruining a processor worth £100+

ATM, I'm talking to an eBay company about tweaking the Gfx card up a few grades;

Bioshock Infinite Game
Assassins Creed 3 Game
Tomb Raider Game

16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
Gigabit LAN
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port

Any advice, ice checked over the 6300 processor, and it's generally i5's underdog

Unless you build you aren't going to get much better tbh, and just be careful of ebay retailers.
Original post by Supertoaster
Unless you build you aren't going to get much better tbh, and just be careful of ebay retailers.

Any bad times with ebayers? He's got 100% feedback on 100's of computers, more of a company using eBay to advertise I think!
Original post by dathtom
Your right, that graphics card really wont be able to handle any serious gaming.

So long as the power supply is adequate, I don't mind buying a second card, or maybe just a new one altogether, a few student loans down the year that is haha
Any bad times with ebayers? He's got 100% feedback on 100's of computers, more of a company using eBay to advertise I think!

With some items but I've never bought a PC from there. I do know it is easy for them to just disappear and stand by things like warrenties or support.
Reply 86
Original post by dathtom
If you want a really good monitor the Dell Ultrasharp range are pretty much the best consumer/small enterprise level monitors out there. The 6850 will be able to handle photoshop stuff easy, but you probably wont be able to do any serious gaming at 2560x1600.

Well, I gave it to my mum, did all the upgrades and what not. Just waiting to buy a monitor now :smile: No gaming on it :tongue: Dell Ultrasharp seems good then! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by dathtom

Sorry, could you give me a link to the ultrasharp 6850? :colondollar: I can't seem to find it :colondollar:
Reply 88
Original post by Revent
Sorry, could you give me a link to the ultrasharp 6850? :colondollar: I can't seem to find it :colondollar:

When I said 6850 I was talking about your graphics card :P

Here is the full lineup of Ultrasharp monitors - http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/emea/ultrasharpmonitor?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukbsdt1
Reply 89
Original post by dathtom
When I said 6850 I was talking about your graphics card :P

Here is the full lineup of Ultrasharp monitors - http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/emea/ultrasharpmonitor?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukbsdt1

What would you suggest between Dell UltraSharp U2412M and Dell UltraSharp U2312HM? :colondollar:
Reply 90
Original post by Revent
What would you suggest between Dell UltraSharp U2412M and Dell UltraSharp U2312HM? :colondollar:

U2412HM. Slightly bigger and a better res for productivity. If it was for gaming or movies then I'd go for the other one.
Reply 91
Original post by dathtom
U2412HM. Slightly bigger and a better res for productivity. If it was for gaming or movies then I'd go for the other one.

Ah, good that's what I thought seemed right :tongue: But just wanted to make sure! Thanks!! :grin: That's my computer now fully updated and have my macbook as well so life is great!

Just gonna wait until next year so I can build my own PC providing Intel don't disappoint :erm:
Reply 92

Bioshock Infinite Game
Assassins Creed 3 Game
Tomb Raider Game

16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Gigabit LAN
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port

Wouldn't trust it to be honest..........tend to use generic power supply which can give out easily under load and could ruin all the other components.
Intel Core i5 3570
Operating System: Windows 8 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D2V
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
PSU: 550W Corsair VS

All built online, with 2 year warranty.

Would it be good enough to run some of the following games on high settings?
-Company of Heroes 2
-Shogun 2 Total War
-The Witcher 1 and 2
-Starcraft
Reply 94
Original post by NedStark
Intel Core i5 3570
Operating System: Windows 8 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D2V
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
PSU: 550W Corsair VS

All built online, with 2 year warranty.

Would it be good enough to run some of the following games on high settings?
-Company of Heroes 2
-Shogun 2 Total War
-The Witcher 1 and 2
-Starcraft

Should quite easily, I expect it should be able to play the newer ones on Ultra.
I'm gonna guess thats from dinopc.............just be careful with shogun, when you zoom into battles frames drop.

Also be aware of your builds limitations like the mobo with future upgrades, etc
I'm in need of a computer/ laptop for uni for around £400/500 (aiming to be cheap as possible but perform for 3 years) I know a PC will be better value for money which is why I'm considering it
I'm looking to get it mainly for uni work and possible watching films and if possible some football manager:tongue:
I don't think ill need the portability at uni but obviously as I'm not there I'm not sure if that's needed. and I'm worried a laptop will have performance issues as time goes on
With a computer I could also get a montior and use it to play ps3 , and a bigger screen!
Any intial recommendatoins for either laptop/ computer and the details I should look at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by printergirl
I'm in need of a computer/ laptop for uni for around £400/500 (aiming to be cheap as possible but perform for 3 years) I know a PC will be better value for money which is why I'm considering it
I'm looking to get it mainly for uni work and possible watching films and if possible some football manager:tongue:
I don't think ill need the portability at uni but obviously as I'm not there I'm not sure if that's needed. and I'm worried a laptop will have performance issues as time goes on
With a computer I could also get a montior and use it to play ps3 , and a bigger screen!
Any intial recommendatoins for either laptop/ computer and the details I should look at

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theres this on sale, fm is easy to play.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B009SJCX86?tag=invihand-21
Original post by Iqbal007
Theres this on sale, fm is easy to play.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B009SJCX86?tag=invihand-21

I know my budget is £400 but is there anything lower like £300 as I'd prefer to spend Less (unless there's a massive difference )
Any suggestions between laptop/PC?
thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by printergirl
I know my budget is £400 but is there anything lower like £300 as I'd prefer to spend Less (unless there's a massive difference )
Any suggestions between laptop/PC?
thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course theres a difference, especially in general performance. FM can easily be played by the integrated graphics............but process is important especially if you plan on it lasting 3 years, you'll notice a drop in performance during the latter years.
Reply 99
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at selling my gaming computer, was wondering if anyone was interested. My question is, am I aloud to make a thread in this sub-forum or give more information about my computer (full spec, condition, asking price etc.)?

Latest