The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Access Course

Hi there, I'm just posting on behalf of my boyfriend who has an interview for the Aberdeen Uni Access Course in January and I was wondering if anybody could provide some useful information that would be helpful for the interview and if there is anything he needs to take with him.

Reply 1
Original post by Jessiiccaar
Hi there, I'm just posting on behalf of my boyfriend who has an interview for the Aberdeen Uni Access Course in January and I was wondering if anybody could provide some useful information that would be helpful for the interview and if there is anything he needs to take with him.

Hi there

I have just completed the Access to Degree studies course. It was hard work for me (as a mum of two) but completely fantastic. I started in September so, as someone who was away from studying for a while, I benefited from a study skills induction which was invaluable. I have now been accepted for a degree at the University of Aberdeen.

The interview is very relaxed. I was probably over-prepared and the course co-ordinator is a fantastic lady who is very approachable and accommodating. It was much more of a chat, than anything else.

I can't remember the specifics of anything I had to bring along (probably qualification certificates etc). I do remember being sent the letter to come for interview. I just prepared a few questions.

What subjects is your boyfriend interested in? What stage is he at? ie. school leaver, mature student etc?

If you have any other questions let me know..:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
I've also just finished the Access To Degree Studies course and will be starting my degree with the University of Aberdeen this September.
The course is absolutely fantastic for people who are willing to put in the work required of them. My only tip for people taking on the course is to really focus and get everything you can out of the experience. Access students have a huge advantage over school-leavers as they already know the grading systems, the referencing systems, how the exams are run, how to use the student portal, how to use blackboard and where things are on campus to name a few. I didn't find the content particularly tough, however that's because I put the work in. Many people in my classes really struggled and ended up being left disappointed with their grades because they saw it as an easy ride and a free pass into uni. It is not!

The course staff are also really friendly and helpful, plus you get an opportunity to give anonymous feedback on all of your tutors/lecturers.

As for the interview, I don't remember having to bring anything with me. The interview was incredibly informal and relaxed, so don't stress about that. We spent a lot of time talking about why I felt the course would benefit me etc. We also talked about the classes I wanted to do and the degree I wanted to progress onto.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending