The Student Room Group

Old student loans to be sold off, interest rates retrospectively raised

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PythianLegume
It seems the Tories have finally realised the LibDems duped them into pushing through a policy that taxes the richest graduates and favours the poorest graduates when compared to the previous fee system.

I've been saying this from the off. The Lib Dems wanted to scrap fees and introduce a graduate tax for those earning a graduate wage.

The new fees system is that in all but name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What always annoys me is that the us ordinary people are always being told we have to pay our way and can't expect something for nothing, yet these rich investment companies want situations where they get the benefits of investment, but expect others to take on the risk.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Surely they can't do that? That's not what we agreed to when we took on the loan, it's completely unfair to change the terms once we already have the debt.

If it is via Act of Parliament then nothing can stop them.
Original post by Olenna Tyrell

Other than the judiciary.
Reply 24
Original post by Killuminati1989
What can we expect from Rothchilds. They're the spawn of Satans jealous half brother

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise the Rothschilds arent just bankers right? Its a huge family and besides they make incredibly fine wine.
Original post by InnerTemple
Other than the judiciary.

With Parliamentary supremacy? It is not like it will be an 'entrenched' Act or anything.
Reply 26
How will this affect people's likelihood of going to uni?

If they can find a way to sell this lot out to bankers why not the next lot?

This affects people already holding a degree or at uni.

That was one option the other was asking the Treasury to guarantee the difference so everyone gets sold out.
Our legs are spread - this is a government that retrospectively changed the law so it could overrule the judiciary's ruling on the workfare scheme. There are no words for these proto-fascists: they are shameless plunderers who should be strung up on the Shard before it goes any further.

*waves at the GCHQ spies now rooting around in my computer*
Reply 28
Original post by Olenna Tyrell

Depends if it violates any European Law.
Original post by redpanda41

I know this is only a proposal, but even the fact that this is being considered is absolutley outrageous. I cannot wait to get these Tories out of govenment, it is sickening what they are doing to the country - and I say this as someone who would have voted for them in 2010, if I had been old enough. They're disgusting.

No, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and simply hate the Tories regardless. This is a proposal submitted by a third party as part of a comprehensive review of the possibility of selling off student loans. There is absolutely no indication that the Conservatives endorse, support or will push through the proposal. If you wanna hate on anyone, hate on Rothschild Bank.
Reply 30
I posted a similar report saying that aggressive financial companies will hound students by every means possible!
Some replies have been shockingly aggressive, should have chosen better course, and its your fault for taking out the loan!
Some correspondents seem to be gloating about the financial dire circumstances that many former students are facing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending